ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Well it is about 6 months later and I am seeing a new Doc in West Covina Ca, Dr. Kambiz Hannini he seems to be very good, he trained with Dr. Delamarter. I recently had another MRI with Gado and the results are the same but with worsening conditions with 3 disc bulges. I have started a few months ago having right leg pain, it feels like pins and needles especially when it is touching or rubbing. He recommended the Pro-Disc for 2 levels L/3- L/5 However this would not happen for a while, So I am having a post lateral endoscopic lumbar discectomy at two levels Feb 14, he expects the leg pain will go away and possibly back pain reduced 30-50% or maybe better, he say's there are no guarantee�s, Once I get the Pro-Disc there is a 80% chance of feeling almost back to normal..
Has anyone done this procedure in this order before and did it work or did it get worse; I am afraid it may get worse. What was your time for approval for the Pro-Disc if you are using United Health care? Any enlightenment or words of wisdom will help. Still having to take 4-5 oxycodones to get thru the day...
Thank you,
Mark
Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Mark,
My discectomies were long ago, first one open surgery on L5S1 with good results in '89 and second one percutaneous discetomy in '92 with horrible life changing results.. constant burning from waist, thru buttocks and bilat down legs to feet for 5 years.. when that stopped the pain from DDD set in big time and by 1998 I was feeling pretty bad, only to retire from work at age 47 in year 2000 and start "heavy" pain meds in 2001.

In retrospect.. I wish I hadn't had the 2nd surgery but hey, hindsight is such an incredibly accurate thing..

I still had bulging discs after the 2nd surgery, and added on scar tissue at rt. S1 nerve root which has been blamed for a great deal of my pain (??) tho difficult to tell considering after 2 discograms I have at least 2 discs that are concordant for pain, and on first discogram L3 was included because of anular tear...

Can you wait for the Pro disc here? Can you go to Europe and have it done? Can you get by any longer like you are and still working??

The only thing I don't like about not being "virgin territory" at the time of your first surgery, whichever it might be, is the risk for scar tissue, and to further weaken the spine..

I really have no words of wisdom for you other than if you are in doubt, then think very carefully about how your proceed.. and continue to check out your options..
Old 02-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Banned

If your leg pain is your major complaint, maybe the discectomies are all you need. However, if you have discogenic pain that is disabling and the discectomy won't resolve it, doing an extra surgery invites additional reasons for future problems. Every surgery causes collateral damage. With spine surgery, less is better. The first stroke of the knife may be the most important.

I had 2 discectomies that were 100% successful at dealing with new leg pain associated with new disc protrusions. They were zero% successful at dealing with my main problem, that was the discogenic low back pain... so I was still disabled.

Whatever you choose... good luck and please, keep us posted.

Mark
Old 02-03-2006, 03:01 AM

Mark and Maria
Thanks for the response, the leg pain is 25-30% of the total pain which is 5o% of the time and the discogenic pain is always a 100% 95% of the time, if this makes sense. With the new discectomies technology do you think this would make a significant change for the worse or probably not change much of the discogenic pain, I understand the leg pain will be gone (yay)but it sounds like the consensus is 50/50 that the procedure will get worse. One of my concerns is that I HATE taking pain pills, to get thru the working day and just like everyone else I started with vicodin, then percocet and now oxycodone (which only help tempoarary), where does this stop? I just feel I should try something! But am afraid of the shared stories.. I guess this is enough venting... Thanks for listening..
----------------------------------------------
L3-L4 Moderate disc degeneration-A posterior fissure is present. A 4 mm central disc protrusion is noted. Mild hypertrophy of the facet joints. Mild spinal stenosis present,

L4-L5 Severe disc degeneration-A posterior fissure is present. Right paracentral posterior measuring 5 mm. Moderate hypertrophy of the facet joints. Mild spinal stenosis present.

L5-S1 Mild disc degeneration-A right posterolateral fissure is present. Mild 2 mm posterior disc bulge.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Banned

Mark, how much ADR experience does Kinchen have? How much experience does he have on patients with 3 levels of disease, including severe DDD AND moderate facets? Has a discogram been done to rule-out L5-S1? What if that is your main pain generator? Is he prepared to do a 3-level Charite?

Mark
Old 02-03-2006, 08:43 AM

Mark,

I would recommend getting at least three opinions with experienced, well known ADR docs,as I did. Not one of them matched exactly but I felt I was able to make the best decision. I even traveled to Munich just to have a consult with Dr. Zeegars at the Alphaklinik as I would rather pay a little more upfront than pay for it after the fact.

As far as I know, UHC has not paid for ADR for anyone. Charite ADR was approved by the FDA in 04 and they are still not paying. I have UHC and had Charite ADR at two levels plus a fusion at L5/S1 this past September. With the fusion, UHC paid for all my expenses less the actual ADR fees. So, out of what was a 70K surgery, I had to pay 20K out of pocket. I believe my surgery was a bit more expensive than average though, it was in Manhattan, which might explain it.

Anyway, good luck!

Feeling great!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:04 PM

I am writing again and check in on the boards of new advancements and to know I am not alone. I wanted to see if anyone has had any abdominal pain from long term use of pain medication. FYI... I take as prescribed/do not intake alcohol but have been fighting constipation. I will be going back to my doc to see if what is going on. I appreciate any related responses and wish everyone a peace of mind.

9/06 Facet block helped temporary was able to reduce 1/2 pain meds until 1/07
(Dr.Hanani)High Reccomendations
2/2006 - Right leg calf numbness/stinging pain- Microdisectomy l4/l5 good results for leg pain
2005 - Nucleoplasty - No Results
L3-L4 Moderate disc degeneration-A posterior fissure is present. A 4 mm central disc protrusion is noted. Mild hypertrophy of the facet joints. Mild spinal stenosis present,

L4-L5 Severe disc degeneration-A posterior fissure is present. Right paracentral posterior measuring 5 mm. Moderate hypertrophy of the facet joints. Mild spinal stenosis present.

L5-S1 Mild disc degeneration-A right posterolateral fissure is present. Mild 2 mm posterior disc bulge.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 AM

ately constipation, lots of fibre and water is what my dr said and a stool softener every night. seems to have helped..i take percocets. stomach pain may be an ulcer. i was told to watch for that. especiallly if you also take any type of anti-inflamatory.