ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:51 AM

Default Frustrations with admin teams

Hello all

I finally decided to have surgery (two level ADR S1-L4) and after a long period of research i decided on the LP-ESP disc, i then had discussion with a number of surgeons with a view to planning my surgery.

My first choice was Dr Rischke, nice guy, had a few discussions with him, as mentioned by other posters on here he is effectively a one man band who hires out OR rooms in hospitals and anesthetists etc, his support team is also i believe just his wife.

This is where the issues are, he provided me a surgery proposal which i sent off to my insurance company. My insurance company had a number of questions and when i forwarded these on to him it all went quiet, i got the impression that he didn't want the hassle of any of the admin tasks, drafting medical reports, responding to my insurance company queries etc, so it all went quiet.

I then held discussion with Dr Desai, again nice guy but his support / admin team are very unhelpful. They also provided me with a cost estimate for my surgery although this was so generic the surgery could have been for anything, this is from the surgery proposal they sent me
we would be pleased to provide you with information on the costs incurred for a planned spine operation during your stay at the private station.

• Hospital treatment (I45A) for now 10.382,00 €

• Room supplement single bed room for now 1.584,00 €
with shower per day 264,00 € (6 days)
• Accommodation of an for now 855, 00 €
accompanying person (6 days)
per day 142,50 €

• Elective orthopedic treatment approximately 9.600,00 €

• Elective therapy anesthesia approximately 3.500,00 €

The sum of these charges for a fixed period of 6 days. (€ 25.920,00) must be passed before the in-house treatment on the account below 14 days beforehand. After completion of the in-patient treatment, you will receive an exact invoice as the above amounts due to the medical services to be performed.
For further inquiries, we are happy to help you.
as you can see it says 'planned spine operation', 'elective orthopedic treatement', i replied on numerous occasions over the last 6 weeks asking for a diagnosis, proposed surgery and a a cost breakdown for the two level ADR surgery to which i simply received a number of unhelpful emails from a lady called Iris who i believe is patient liaison but did not nothing at all to help despite me explaining that the estimate provided would not be sufficient for my insurance company.

I have found the whole process thus far very frustrating, has anyone else has similar experiences?

alternatively can anyone share positive experiences of planning for surgery?

First MRI in 2012, diagnosed with DDD @ L4-L5 & L5-S1

Numerous injections, caudal block, epidural injections, Discogel

Considering ADR at both levels
Old 05-30-2018, 11:08 PM

Check out Dr. Clavel in Barcelona and Dr. Ritter-Lang and Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany. Good luck!
2-2000 Dual Partial Discectomies L3-L4-L5
1997-Present Acceleration of DDD from Chmymopapain
Wake to massive back spasms for 6 hours now for 5 years
Scheduled Dual ADR with Ritter-Lang June 2018
6 months post OP and Wow thanking God everyday on how I feel. I left the pain back in Germany in June 2018.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 PM

The cost breakdown provided to you seems very reasonable as an estimate.

You've discussed with him having 2 levels done. Its a planned, elective operation (rather than an unplanned, emergency operation).
A total estimated price was given, with some basic break down in costs, which would
be finalized after all is said and done after your hospital stay. Simple enough. Don't over complicate.
3. Chose LP-ESP disc as #1 choice.
4. Found Dr. Biren Desai and engaged in months of email writing at a doctor level to gauge his expertise.
He preserves (sews) the anterior longitutional ligmant and uses adhesion barrier.
5. Sept 6, 2017 - One level lumbar - cost $15,500
6. BCBS International reimbursed me.
7. 6 months later - Full activity. Doing great!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHerm View Post
The cost breakdown provided to you seems very reasonable as an estimate.

You've discussed with him having 2 levels done. Its a planned, elective operation (rather than an unplanned, emergency operation).
A total estimated price was given, with some basic break down in costs, which would
be finalized after all is said and done after your hospital stay. Simple enough. Don't over complicate.
actually the issue i had was that there was no diagnosis, no letter of medical necessity for the 'planned elective surgery', despite asking for this it wasn't provided, my insurance company specifically asked me for diagnosis, medical report and letter of medical necessity explaining why the surgery is required.

Regardless, the frustration with Dr Desai's team has lead me to Dr Bierstedt and his team who are much more pro active in this regard.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:59 AM

I had high hopes for Dr Desai but like you I found his communication really hard to deal with. Basically I had to start saying this is my last attempt at communication then they would respond saying sorry for the delay when do you want to schedule? But nothing about the questions I had asked, also was promised a phone call several times but that never happened as well.

My theory on Dr Desai is he is just extremely busy and does not have a great support staff for foreign patients right now.

Dr Clavel and Yolanda are very good at responding, if Clavel takes a bit too long a simple email will get Yolanda on it. Bertagnoli is also pretty good though he staff named Tim at least in my case is usually the go between but he is quite helpful and responds in a reasonable amount of time.

Desai ticked all the boxes for me, good price, the disc that I actually prefer though I am no expert but the lack of communication has pushed him below others, its too bad I hear he is an amazing doctor.
L4-L5
L5-S1
Considering ADR Procedure This Year
Old 06-26-2018, 01:47 PM

Wow, the communication issues are really too bad to hear about Dr.Desai's team.

I just mailed out a package to him yesterday and am hopeful of a quick response...I guess we'll see!

Good luck everyone!

- Car Accident 2007 and 2017
- 3 work injuries 2011-2012
- DDD at C5/6, C6/7, L4/5, L5/6
- Extra vertebrae at L6.

Desperate for solutions!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian View Post
I had high hopes for Dr Desai but like you I found his communication really hard to deal with. Basically I had to start saying this is my last attempt at communication then they would respond saying sorry for the delay when do you want to schedule? But nothing about the questions I had asked, also was promised a phone call several times but that never happened as well.

My theory on Dr Desai is he is just extremely busy and does not have a great support staff for foreign patients right now.

Dr Clavel and Yolanda are very good at responding, if Clavel takes a bit too long a simple email will get Yolanda on it. Bertagnoli is also pretty good though he staff named Tim at least in my case is usually the go between but he is quite helpful and responds in a reasonable amount of time.

Desai ticked all the boxes for me, good price, the disc that I actually prefer though I am no expert but the lack of communication has pushed him below others, its too bad I hear he is an amazing doctor.
agreed, the communication issue ha made me look elsewhere, luckily this pushed me to Dr Bierstedt who's team appear very much on the ball in this regard.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Default Frustration

I had my ADR in 2002 with Dr Zeegers (now deceased bless him). I e mailed him loads of times and sent pictures of my spine etc. Nothing was too much trouble for him and when we met in Germany he called me the emailing patient- - -all smiles

If surgeons are too busy then don`t go there go where someone is working at a steady pace all over the year. I run the UK spine board so know what I am talking about and e mail surgeons on a regular basis to check their holidays ,conferences etc. Get to someone with experience (Dr Zeegers had done over 2000 surgeries).

One of the best surgeons worldwide is Mr Khia Lam in London. you will see his details on my board

www.adrsupportuk.com/

Good luck to every patient
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 12-30-2018, 07:54 PM

Default Pro-Spine

Bertagnoli
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 01-18-2019, 03:55 AM

After much contemplation, I chose Dr. Desai for my two-level (C4-5 and C6-7). While his administrative staff is still catching up to perhaps the level of other DRs in Germany, Dr. Desai proved to be an excellent choice. Surgery was on 12/10/18, and so far a resounding success. The pain is gone and much functionality resorted as my recovery continues. I am glad I went with my gut after talking with Dr. Desai on the phone. I know he is attempting to improve his administrative staff, and I expect he will as he wants to further his reach in the US market.