ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:30 PM

Default New here! An Introduction

Hi all,

I have been a lurker here for a little while but I thought it was time I introduced myself.

I feel my problems started for me at age 17 when my family and I were involved in a 27 motor vehicle pile up during a snowstorm in Dec 1984. I remember having severe neck pain for at least a week afterwards but because of circumstances never saw a doctor about it.

In my early 30's I finally had my first xray and cervical DDD was diagnosed. In those early years I had several pain blocks, and dealt with the pain using anti-inflammatories, Tylenol, etc. Two years ago I started having significant arm pain after a sitting in a truck on a long road trip. The rest of the trip was a bust because I have never had pain that bad. After several xray's a CT and an MRI I was diagnosed with nerve impingement caused by 2 herniated disc's at C5-6 and C6-7. The muscle weakness I have found has been the most difficult thing for me to deal with as I can't hold things well with my left hand and I get constant muscle spasms.

So I saw a neurosurgeon last October who gave me three options. 1. Do nothing and let nature take it's course, 2. Two level fusion or 3. Two level disc replacement. So I decided that at my age (47 year old lady) that I wanted to try to keep my mobility in my neck and after much research I decided on the ADR on the two levels. I am in Canada so I have been waiting 8 months for my procedure which is scheduled for June 11/2015 Yikes! but I am very lucky because my medical will cover the cost of the procedure.

I am soooo nervous about the procedure which happens in just 4 days, my stress level has been through the roof as I have been interviewing for someone to take over my job and now I have to orientate this person for the next three days. My procedure will take place in Victoria BC by a neurosurgeon who has been doing ADR's for several years. Still the butterflies are getting the better of me.

Cheers,
Sherry
June 11/2015 ADR C6-7 ACDF C7-T1
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 PM

Sherry, you are very fortunate to have healthcare that will cover your surgery! For many of us, that just isn't the case in the U.S.

Do you know what type of disc they are going to use?

Try to think positive thoughts. You are almost on the other side of this ordeal. Sending you prayers for a successful surgery, quick recovery and getting back to a normal pain free life!
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 06-07-2015, 09:12 PM

Do you know what type of disc they are going to use?

I did call the office to ask what type of ADR my Doc will be using, she didn't have that information right there, however she did tell me he just recently did a single level ADR on someone else and used a "Prestige" artificial disc. I believe you can only do one level with that type of replacement though I think?
June 11/2015 ADR C6-7 ACDF C7-T1
Old 06-07-2015, 09:40 PM

Sherry, I believe you are correct with respect to the Prestige Disc. It requires screws in the vertebrae above and below the disc. If you were to do multi-level, it would require two sets of discs with screws on at least one of the vertebrae which would make it unstable.

Take a look at this link: https://www.medtronic.com/patients/c...vice/index.htm

Good luck with your surgery!! It will be done before you know it!!

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C