ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Default texas back

i am getting a L3 L4 alif fusion from TBI any day , they told me tthe new m6 disc is 21.000 just for the disc
Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Hi John,

The tax thing is great to know... if I ever elect to get something done out of the country. It's working up to getting something done that is the tough part, eh? I just read some of Harrison's info on biofilms - now I'm even more iffy about getting something like an ADR done. LOL I knew infections were a risk, but those biofilms sound horrible!

As for pain, I don't know that mine is even a 1/4 compared to what most of the people on here are going through. I'm ok off pain killers as long as I don't bend and twist too much and take breaks every hour or so from sitting. It's just the tingles and numbness that are scaring me. Quite honestly, I feel selfish for even looking into ADR when I read about some of the problems some other unfortunate people are going through on these boards. I'm just trying to play with my kid(s) and do some sports again and I'm not entirely sure ADR will even do the trick for that. OR if the benefits outweigh the risks.

I pinged TBI to get an opinion as per your recco and JSS'. Like Jstuckey, I'm pretty set on Mr. Boeree if I go for surgery. Clavel was awesome too, but Boeree was a little cheaper and exceptionally responsive/compassionate. They are both eminently qualified as far as I'm concerned. I also love going to London! Can't beat the local brews.

As a side note, I requested a copy of my last bone scan, because I assume they show densities... am I correct? I want to make absolutely sure my bones are up to the task should I choose to ADR it up. For any of you on the other side, did you bother going through metal allergy tests beforehand? I'd like to have all my ducks in a row if I'm going to make a move.

Thanks again for all the insight, guys.

Last edited by banhorn; 04-20-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Default Tx back and Mr Boerre

I still need to post my experience with surgery and recovery. Doing pretty well so far after a week out. I am probably doing a little more than I should, but feeling pretty good overall. Just some muscle pain between my shoulder blades and in my shoulders, which is normal and should go away with time, and it is already getting better.

I had a hybrid fusion/ADR at c6/7 c5/6 performed by Dr Blumenthal at tx back.I am quite happy with my choice of surgeon, and the hospital staff was wonderful.

Also, I wanted to chime in that I spoke with Mr Boeree and he was very helpful (the only other opinion that confirmed my Dr.s opinion, so he really helped put my mind at ease).

He is a delightful person, and I am sure he is a wonderful surgeon. The factors that Led me to decide to go with tx back were the skill of my surgeon, that i would likely end up with a hybrid in England as well, and the issue of follow up care (and the fact that insurance would cover my tx procedure and timing was an issue as my quality of life was becoming quite low).

You should be in good hands if you decide to go the Boeree route though.

DAnn
C6-7 disc moderately to markedly narrowed, mild retrolisthesis of c6 on c7 producing effacement of the thecal sac but no cord impingement, mild narrowing of left neural foramen;
c5-6 disc moderately narrowed, anterior and posterior disc bulge with mild anterior cord impingement;
c4-5 disc intact and normal height, potential posterior annular fissure.
Cervical hybrid surgery in Texas April 12, 2011, fusion at C6/7, Prodisc C at C5/6
Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 PM

I've been reading more about the severing of the Anterior Ligament during ADR. Is this something they attempt to re-attach, or is it severed permanently During the Op? I've read that this can contribute to a lot of spinal instability?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 PM

Good question for the surgeon. I'll ask myself. Here's an internet picture of what they are talking about. I'm guessing they don't/can't reattach
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM

No it can't be reattached, it's just one of the downsides of adr and is in all likelihood a contributor to facet problems.

The bottom line is the outcomes from a correctly indicated adr are generally better than a fusion.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:47 PM

I just spoke with Mr. Boeree about the ALL and this is what he said (from memory so I might be a little off):

The ALL is divided to implant the device and no effort is usually made to fix it, because it would just turn into scar tissue with no benefit to the rest of the spine. This was an issue in older generation devices as they were unconstrained, so they had to keep part of the original annulus in place to prevent pop-outs of the prodisc and charite in extreme extension. The artificial annulus of the M6 lessens the importance of the ALL and flexion/extension are not an issue.

My Take: He didn't think it would destabilize the spine at ALL (bad pun), though he did offer to stitch it up for me if I would prefer! Again, it just becomes a bunch of scar tissue with no elasticity.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Thanks for sharing! Makes much sense!
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 05-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

Banhorn, I really don't know what to make of your comment about the surgeon's politeness:
"...though he did offer to stitch it up for me if I would prefer!.."
It's interesting, perhaps odd, that we patients are literally getting into the bowels of surgical details with doctors.

I have noticed through the years and various conversations with patients and doctors that there are myriad differences in surgical techniques; some of these matter greatly in terms of mfr.s' compliance to "proper" implantation of devices. Other techniques may not be taught in school, or in product training, but surgeons develop many refinements over the years. We hear bits and pieces of these refinements here, from doctors, from sales reps or spine brokers.

Ultimately, we have to like and trust the doctor who will perform a very invasive procedure on our bodies. It helps if we also "believe' that the device is the best in terms of design and ease of implantation. I still don't like keeled designs, but it doesn't matter what I think...

What's the latest results on your DEXA scan T scores Banhorn? If your T scores are not optimal, it may be wise to steer away from a keeled design -- or even cleated.

Do tell!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-08-2011, 05:33 AM

That's very funny, I'm sure he was having a bit of a lend.