ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:10 PM

Default new but 14 months post c5-c6 prodisc-c

I am 14 months past my surgery but still having issues. I have been seeing a pain clinic dr since January 2011. I am being told that I developed TRIGGER POINTS as a result of my surgery and have since had 3 rounds of cortisone injections between 6-12 shots each time and 1 round 100cc of botox injections, also i am currently in physical therapy consisting of massage, stem, and ultra sound twice a week.

I am constantly in pain it varies in degrees but its always there. I am so knotted up in my left shoulder area and both sides of the base of my neck and up along the left side of my neck and behind my ear that I am stiff all the time. I am to have another round of coritsone 7/21. I am going ahead with the cortisone because it does help for a little while.

I just found out that my surgon that quit working shortly after my surgery is back in town so decided to go see him to recheck the placement of my implant. I feel like its not right. I have had multiple mri and ct but I feel like the test is useless with the implant distorting the picture. Does anyone know of a different test that can be done? Also has anyone else been dealing with trigger points?
May 5, 2010 c5-c6 prodisc ADR surgery in Yakima, WA. 16 months later after suffering every minute of every day I had a posterior cervical fusion c5-c6 over the prodisc surgery on September 9, 2011. June 18, 2012 posterior hardware removal of fusion. I HAVE ZERO PAIN!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Implant location can be checked more easily by a flat film x-ray; check neck bent forward, bent back and head held straight. That should be enough to show position and flexibility of the ADR level. MRI and CT are going to be of limited use checking for placement, so you're right there.

First thought about trigger points - long-term cortisone use can lead to soft tissue and cartilage damage. Be real careful about using it again in the near future until your body has had a chance to recover from the rounds you've had.

Laura fought with trigger points for years and continues to do so to a lesser extent. We did buy a TENS unit then a NEMS for her and that helped. We also purchased a ultrasonic unit that she uses regularly but more for her knee problems than trigger points in her back. The only thing she's had success with that you haven't mentioned is prolotherapy.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Sissy,

I am so sorry for your less than successful outcome. I don't know what trigger points are, but do know that I had the devil of a time with muscle spasms for about six months after my second fusion. I was finally prescribed cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxer) which eliminated the problem about half way through the bottle.

They may be trying to look at your facet joints with the MRI. I'm with Jim. The best way to examine the implant is with a AP and lateral flex/extension x-rays.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 PM

Trigger points can be thought of as self-perpetuating knots in muscles. They're started by some external stimulus but, once started, have to be forced to stop. Pressure, heat (occasionally), electrical from TENS or NEMS, ultrasound, chemical or needles in the knots themselves have all help for Laura but it's really a trick of hunting down the originating cause and dealing with that.

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Default hoping for a little hope today

I go today to see my Dr that did my surgery in May 2010. I followed the advice and requested plain xrays which I got yesterday. I am praying that he will do something for me and not say its muscles and nerves. I have had so many injections cortizone and botox and physical therapy, and all different kinds of muscle relaxers rx I am losing my mind over it all. Nothing helps. So today I have a little bit of hope that he will be able to figure out what the problem is..
May 5, 2010 c5-c6 prodisc ADR surgery in Yakima, WA. 16 months later after suffering every minute of every day I had a posterior cervical fusion c5-c6 over the prodisc surgery on September 9, 2011. June 18, 2012 posterior hardware removal of fusion. I HAVE ZERO PAIN!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 PM

Don't be surprised if you hear that it's muscles and nerves anyway. It could be nerve damage from before your surgery, nerve damage from the surgery, trigger points that are being initiated by irritated facets that had become used to not moving and are now expected to move.... Basically, beign told it's muscles and nerves is probably the first default answer. It takes time and probing to figure out why the muscles and nerves are annoyed. Hopefully, you'll get started on that today but, should your surgeon not start down that path, there are others you can work with to help you understand what's happening. Of course, all that presumes that your surgeon doesn't take one look at the flat x-rays and announce that he has your answer. I hope not for your sake because fast answers generally indicate major problems.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 AM

Please post your x ray pics...
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 PM

Default Update on dr appt 7/26/11

so I guess the top of my implant is not secure and he wants to take it out and put in a larger prodisc-c or do a fusion.. I go Aug 3rd for bone scan and mri with contrast then see him Aug 4 to decide which way to go
I have no idea both scare me Id like a third choice
Old 07-27-2011, 06:42 PM

How was it determined that the top of the implant wasn't secure? Not seated correctly? Subsided? Those are the two most common. I'd be curious about the logic for replacing the implant instead of fusing if either of those two was the cause. I

Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 PM

I would not have the Prodisc removed only to replace it with another Prodisc. I would opt for a fusion.

It's funny how I keep reading that the people who had the Prodisc's seem to be the ones having problems. When I saw my former Orthopedic surgeon last year, I remember him saying he wanted to take the Prodisc out at C5-6 and fuse that level. Then he wanted to do a ADR at C4-5, but wanted to use NUVASIVE. When I asked him why not a prodisc, he said they were having problems with them. HMMM what's up with PRODISC?
12/29/10: INFIX cage fusion@ L4-L5 & L5-S1 using anterior retroperitoneal approach, curettage and bone grafting left iliac crest, and placement of Transfacet Pedicale Screws
05/12/11: Explantation of failed Prodisc ADR @ C5-6, C6-7. Autograft and Allograft Fusion of C4-5, C5-6, & C6-7 with plating from C4 - C7.