ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM

Default ProDisc Success! Saved my life...

Hey there everyone, new to the fourms, not so new to back problems. I think this is a great place for people to come together and share stories, give support and advice.

After being involved in a car accident, I was left with a ruptured L4-L5. Give me some time and I'll get around to scanning in my MRI's. I went to a local neurosurgeon in my area, Dr. Ali Najafi. He suggested a discectomy surgery to remove the pieces of disc that had broken off. Being I was in such severe pain, I was ready to try anything. At this point I was on 10mg Norco 12 tablets daily. I could not stand straight, I was hunched over terribly. The more I would try and stand straight, the more painful it became. I had radiating pain into my legs, etc. I literally would cry myself to sleep at night I was in such pain, never able to find a way to get comfortable. The pain had taken over my life. I had dropped out of college As I was unable to walk from class to class.

SO... Fastforward to the surgery. I go under, expecting the best. I wakeup, the first few days are great... Pain free, standing tall. Then BOOM. The pain is back.... I go in for another MRI, and the disc had re-ruptured. SO, discectomy #2, one week after the first. Once again I woke up and was doing much better... After about a week, it happened again. At this point my surgeon realized there was not enough disc left to perform a third discectomy... He then suggested lumbar fusion.

Okay.. So here I am, 22 years old, facing a fusion that would limit my mobility. I wasnt really looking forward to that. He then referred me to Dr. Christopher Ames at UCSF Spine Center. Dr Ames informed me of a new procedure, ADR replacement surgery. Unfortunatley my insurace would only cover a fusion, so cash payment it was. Dr. Ames informed me of the costs, which I could not afford.

It was then my father began researching day and night. We found Dr. Bertagnoli of ProSpine. Talk about a life saver... I flew to Straubing germany, and underwent ADR replacement. I was pretty nervous going overseas for the first time, let alone for surgery.

I will post another thread on my experiences in Straubing and with the ProSpine team, but let me tell you... They are great. I know there can be complications, but this was the best option I could have ever have chosen. Within two weeks of my surgery, I was walking more in one day that I would have in a whole month prior! I can't say enough about the team at ProSpine...

I am now going on four years post-op, and am doing wonderful! My pain has been reduced 95-99 percent, and that's not exaggerating.

I wish everyone the best.

If anyone has any data on the lifetime of the ProDisc, let me know. I assume I am going to have complications in the future, just curious when I may expect that.

Regards,
Ben
Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM

Good on you and good on you're old man for fighting for ya.

I wouldn't worry about lifetime complications. There is a 7-11 year study on the international synthes prodisc site.

The biggest worry is early facet degeneration. If you are serious about preventing this to what ever extent you can you need to get serious about strengthening and maintaining your core, and ensure you maintain neutral spine throughout squat movements (never stoop) and other activities of daily living. Simple biomechanics say if you're spine is in neutral and not flexed the load on the joints is reduced and the load on the muscles is increased. Lifting power comes from your glutes, not your back.

Clinical pilates is a good starting point for this, as is a good physio. Can be hard finding good professionals tho. Buy 'Spinal Stabilisation' by Jemmet, and 'Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance by McGill', you will be set.

That's assuming you're serious about it. I'm a couple of years older than you and recovering from a hybrid op 6 weeks ago. Maintaining good core, fitness and body mechanics could mean the difference between a risky salvage op or a productive life. Up to u.

Chris.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Default Thanks

Hey thanks for the reply. I do appreciate it...

Just saw a video of two patients playing tennis that gave me some hope for the future Yeah, I could be in better shape. I need to start slow, and work back into it without hurting myself or pushing myself. I am afraid of damaging L5-S1 as Dr. B as well as my surgeon in the state alerted me to the degeneration and weakness at that level, and it's "drying" out whatever that means, at least that's the term I think they used.

So, any suggestions for a slightly overweight 25 year old with DDD, Stenosis at l2-l3 l3-l4, and ProDisc ADR @ L4-L5? I'd really like to start thinking about the future of my body and keeping the stress off my back.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM

As above, buy those books, clinical pilates is also very good for body awareness and strength. Listen to your body, no one else can.

So pull your finger out and get cracking!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM

I just bought "Spinal Stabilisation" last week on Amazon - not expensive - and I got started on it right away. It does make a lot of sense, and I have some work to do to prepare for ADR. Take care, and get started protecting your investment!
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 PM

Well I got through to one person I'll take that as a win!

I'm sure u will be right Jstuckey you're crossing all the t's
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM

Ben,

WOW! What a story! After all of that you certainly deserve to be pain free four years post!

Don't fret too terribly much about a long term ProDisc-L. Per my research, if you can make it complication free for the first few years, you may be good long term (20 years anyway).

As you are in your early/mid-twenties, I have shoe laces that are older than you, but here is a link to a study by Dr Zigler at Texas Back Institute that references a study began in 1990 regarding the ProDisc-L (I) by Dr Marnay in France. The long term outcomes were very good.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 PM

Ben,
This is such a good story. So glad you are feeling so well.
Hope the outcome is just as good with the cervical version of the prodisc.

DAnn
C6-7 disc moderately to markedly narrowed, mild retrolisthesis of c6 on c7 producing effacement of the thecal sac but no cord impingement, mild narrowing of left neural foramen;
c5-6 disc moderately narrowed, anterior and posterior disc bulge with mild anterior cord impingement;
c4-5 disc intact and normal height, potential posterior annular fissure.
Cervical hybrid surgery in Texas April 12, 2011, fusion at C6/7, Prodisc C at C5/6
Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Hi Ben!

Welcome to the ProDisc-L club! I'm also a success story though I'm only coming up on 3 years post-op. I have been able to be out on the tennis courts with my fiance and his parents, though I do still feel some soreness afterward, likely due to needing to do more work on the core muscles. There's always work to be done! While the thought has crossed my mind as far as longevity of the replacement disc, part of me is ok with running into issues later in life, though I'd love to avoid them. At this point though, I'm just hoping for the best and that other levels don't pop when I go to start a family! Hopefully I'll be able to roll with the punches ok.

Anyway, congrats on the successful surgery!

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 06-25-2019, 12:58 PM

Default Bump - 12+ years post op

Thank you to everyone who commented and offered suggestions.

Just an update for those interested, I'm now going on 13 years with the prodisc and remain pain free!