ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 PM

Default Barcelona On The 9th

Can't wait for that whole bone density thing for the dreamy M6s. My back is in too bad of shape. It feels like if I wait any longer my spine is going to fall out of my body and turn around into a hand that's flipping me the bird.

Activ L or cardboard that's where I'm at. I choose Activ L and Dr. Pablo Clavel for early July. Let's get her done.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Hi Drew,
Congrats on making the decision. You completed your due diligence, asked many questions and did a lot of analysis. While this phase often takes a significant amount of time, don't underestimate the recovery phase. Some people bounce back right away and others take a lot longer. I trust you will be in the former category. Good luck and I'll be interested in your success stories.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic View Post
Hi Drew,
Congrats on making the decision. You completed your due diligence, asked many questions and did a lot of analysis. While this phase often takes a significant amount of time, don't underestimate the recovery phase. Some people bounce back right away and others take a lot longer. I trust you will be in the former category. Good luck and I'll be interested in your success stories.
Wish I would have dealt with this sooner. I am getting new symptoms now higher up in my back as my low back is like a stiff, knotted ball.

I had my wife Magic Marker the new pain and my doctor looked at the area, said it was the L1/2 and L2/3. It is strange new mechanical instability there along with increased aches now which sucks. I feel like my entire spine now is deciding to give up.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Default Congrats

Andrew,

Glad you have the confidence to go forward now.
Di you by chance leave the option open with Clavel to use M6 regardless of the BD thing? Meaning once he gets in and actually can see or feel that the otpion might still be for the ADR you seem to really want?
You might want to bring it up with him. Very receptive guy to options. He might just stick with the plan anyway but worth asking when you actually see him in person.

Also as Optimistic states dont underestimate the recovery. Its a bear to many and not so much for some.

6 months today for me and all is right in the world other than stiffness in the morning which 10 minutes of walking takes it away. Remember your back is gonna need to readjust to the new stability and being straight so take your time. Posture, walking and exercise will make it happen but it is work. Get off any/most or all pain meds as soon as you can that way your mind is clear and the nerves can start firing normally.

Lastly, yes there is a cascade effect when other things start to come out of the blue. Other stuff will hurt that didn't before so get your mind strong and deal.

It takes big brass ones to do this so welcome to the club of clangers soon!

Wish you the best safe outcome. Tell the crew Frank P. (aka Superman) said hello. Also know some great places to eat as well.

If you need any pointers feel free to PM me.

All the best,
Frank
Cervical herniation symptoms 2011
C5-7 M6C by Dr Clavel on June 5 2013
L3-5 M6L by Dr. Clavel on 12.18.13
Living life instead of living the condition
Old 06-18-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklySir View Post
Andrew,

Glad you have the confidence to go forward now.
Di you by chance leave the option open with Clavel to use M6 regardless of the BD thing? Meaning once he gets in and actually can see or feel that the otpion might still be for the ADR you seem to really want?
You might want to bring it up with him. Very receptive guy to options. He might just stick with the plan anyway but worth asking when you actually see him in person.
I was already thinking of doing this very thing. Good to know we're on the same page there.

The reason why I chose Clavel is two-fold. Number one, he was the first one to propose a three level with conviction. Last week, two other docs came out with a three level diagnosis on me, Carl Laurrysen and my primary Kasier neurosurgeon, HOWEVER, Clavel was the first one to latch on to this in my case.

Also, Clavel is a creative. That's very important. I already know after talking to Sonia, that he was able to ad-lib on her once he was inside and addressed bone density issues with her and also gave her man size M6s.

So, I like his style. He's never 'locked in'. So, yeah, I was planning on doing what you just said for sure.

BTW, did you stay at the AKO?

Old 06-18-2014, 04:33 PM

Drew,

Congratulations on making a decision. I know you're going to do great!

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 06-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Drew,

Big decision moving forward, glad to see it. You are smart to know when to take action before your situation gets worse, as you are having increased symptoms. You have done much research, it's easy to get stuck in that phase and never actually decide. Just try not to waste energy second guessing now, that will drive you crazy right up until you are being wheeled in. The 9th will be here before you know it. Can't wait to read your posts in the surgical outcome forum! I'll be praying for you bud!!!
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015
Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 PM

Glad you were able to make a decision. Wishing the best!
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 PM

Thanks all.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:47 PM

Default adr

Awesome news man!! How many levels?