ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:55 PM

Default Question

A friend of mine is looking for a surgeon in the Houston area and has received referral to see Dr. Mirza Baig, who performs Mobi-C ADR. Does anyone have any experience on this surgeon? He also performs stem cell procedures. I have done some research but am not familiar with this surgeon. Thank you!
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 05-20-2015, 05:09 PM

That surgeon did not show up in any of my research of the forums but, I am not completely done with the Lumbar surgeries. Let me know if you want the list of surgeons I have for Texas. I'm not sure what city they are all in as I just listed the state.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 05-20-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynlite View Post
That surgeon did not show up in any of my research of the forums but, I am not completely done with the Lumbar surgeries. Let me know if you want the list of surgeons I have for Texas. I'm not sure what city they are all in as I just listed the state.
Yes, please send to me. Thanks!
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 PM

Default Texas ADR Surgeons

Dr. Saddiqui; Prodisc C, 2009
Dr. Marlin; Prestige ST, 2010
Dr. Peterson; Mobi-C, 2015
Dr. Zigler; Mobi-C, 2007 & 2013
Dr. Blumenthal; Mobi-C, 2013 & 2015
Dr. Arakal; ? Disc, 2010
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado babe View Post
A friend of mine is looking for a surgeon in the Houston area and has received referral to see Dr. Mirza Baig, who performs Mobi-C ADR. Does anyone have any experience on this surgeon? He also performs stem cell procedures. I have done some research but am not familiar with this surgeon. Thank you!

Since your friend is in Texas, why not go to Texas Back Institute and let Dr. Zigler or Blumenthal do it? It wouldn't be an outrageous travel, and they are the most reputable when it comes to ADR surgery in the States. Of course, you knew all that, looking at your sig.

Feb. 2014 - Hybrid lumbar fusion(l5/S1), ADR(L4/L5)...2-level cervical ADR (C5/C6, C6/C7). Dr. Pablo Clavel of Quiron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. All M6 implants (PEEK cage and plate from Medtronic at fusion level in lumbar.) SAME DAY OPERATION for both areas of the spine.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 PM

For whatever it's worth, I've heard great things with Dr. Petersen in Austin. I also believe he is in-network with many insurance carriers.

I can't say enough good things about TBI, but the three top surgeons there are out-of-network.
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwink23 View Post
Since your friend is in Texas, why not go to Texas Back Institute and let Dr. Zigler or Blumenthal do it? It wouldn't be an outrageous travel, and they are the most reputable when it comes to ADR surgery in the States. Of course, you knew all that, looking at your sig.
I have told her over and over to go to them but for some reason she is determined to stay in Houston. It may be an insurance issue and that is why, but don't know. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 AM

Okay, I hate to say the first thing that came to my mind this morning but here you go Colorado Babe. Tell her she only risks a displaced disc or incorrectly sized disc by a surgeon who lacks significant experience. There are a lot of unhappy ADR patients in the U.S. just like unhappy fusion patients. The surgeon I saw at the Barrow Institute gave me flip answer while holding a Pro-Disc C in his hands and said "oh, these are easy to put in but, look how unstable this device is" After reading all the cervical post surgery stories, I know that "easy" and "perfectly sized and placed" mean very different things to the patient's experience. When it's not perfect, it can mean a very bad outcome. I wouldn't risk it. I sure hope she changes her mind and at least gets a second opinion from one of TBI surgeons. At worst, she can ask them if they know the surgeon she wants to use. The ADR world is kind of small here in the U.S. so, they should know each other. Also, it's amazing how quickly one changes their minds when they meet a truly gifted surgeon or doctor!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 PM

You can't lead a horse to water. I have talked to her over and over and she keeps going from one surgeon to another. I don't understand why people just don't do their homework. It is a scary world we live in. I would never go to a surgeon without doing my research. I would never have a procedure done without researching it.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:29 PM

I completely agree but, you know that LOL. Oh well You have done all you can to help her. In the end, we all make our own decisions based on our knowledge. Personally, I love it when people share the name of a great doctor or surgeon that comes highly recommended. I would never have been able to find them without doing the research on this site so thank you all you contributors! There are lists out there but, for example, the one surgeon in Arizona named Dr. Yeung who is a top ADR surgeon is still using the Prodisc! You were really fortunate to have Dr. Pettine in your area! I gave up looking in my state.