ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:18 PM

Alastair,

I agree that there are some bad outcomes in the U.S. However there are also PLENTY of bad outcomes coming out of Europe too. Even with his 1,500+ ADR surgeries I am certain that Dr. Zeegers doesn't have a perfect track record. The bottom line is that it is spine surgery and there are risks no matter which surgeon you use. Obviously going to a surgeon that has done 3 ADR surgeries doesn't seem like a wise decision, but if a doc has 50, 100, 200 surgeries under his belt AND has been doing other anterior surgeries such as fusion I really don't see a problem using that surgeon.

With respect to one thing that you mentioned about the length of hospital stays:

Dr. Zeegers IS apparently interested in trying to release his patients from the hospital sooner what the norm has been. He asked my doc Dr. Regan how he could release his patients a few days after surgery. In fact he asked Regan what his medication protocol was after surgery! So the short hospital stays are not necessarily a U.S. thing. You may start seeing it in Europe as well.

Yes, the board and Mark did help me choose Dr. Regan. Thank you both!

Dan
Charite @ L5-S1 8/2/05 with Dr. Regan
Struggling with facet joint pain.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:08 PM

Hi Dan,
I think what I am trying to say to everyone is that these things do occur everywhere - - -yes even Zeegers and Bertagnoli, UK certainly, have there failures - - - but look out for the obvious signs -- like discharge the same day or next day. Its a once in a lifetime shot so take extra care no matter where you live.

Also I think the press have jumped on this free Stenum surgery to bring it to the USA attention and try and get more USA patients out there.

Its a shame all people who are going to have ADR don`t have a flag on their hats and we could send them here to get the full information prior to surgery
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 08-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Guys, this is a very helpful thread to many, though it was getting a little hot. Thanks for sharing your concerns, I'd like to comment more after a careful readthrough. See you on Saturday.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Dave... back to the article.

I read the article and I sent them an email concerning the blantant mistakes a couple days ago. I attached a list of recent ADR publications to help in correcting the inaccuracies in the article. I appauld your efforts.

I am almost a native of New Mexico and--unfortunately--the Santa Fe New Mexican doesn't have a very large readership.

Justin
Old 08-16-2005, 10:33 PM

Hi Justin,
unfortunately the press is the press, and any corrections usually as we all know are usually made on an small column somewhere on the back page. It's great that you contacted them.
Best wishes,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 08-20-2005, 02:57 PM

I goal is not just a correction but to give them a real story to print that will be full correct information and will of interest to read. We can give them much more than they ever dreamed of maybe even a series on it.

I have nt talked to her as of yet, I had to go out of town for work after only being back a day and a half, I worked 3 15 hours shifts on my feet, it still is amazing to me that I can do that!!

I have still not recieved a yes from anyone to is willing to be interviewed. I really believed there would be many that would be.

Dave
87 Lam 88 Lam no help. 11/12/04 was told I needed fusion at 2 levels L4/5 & S1/5, ADR Surgery date was 5/13/2013 with Dr. Bertagnoli had fusion on S1/L5 and ADR on L5/L4. it is now 8 years post surgery and do not even take an aspirin for my back.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Dave, pls tell us more about what kind of people the reporter would like to interview. Are you looking for people from Stenum -- as well as others? Pls let us know, I am sure many people would want to help, if they now what's involved....
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate