ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:11 PM

Hello all,

My name is Dave and have being trying to live with and work though mild to moderate back pain with flare ups making life unbearable. In 2002, I had an accident weight lifting (squats) and was unable to walk for without pain for 2 weeks. After that I thought that the pain would have healed and life would have continued on with little problem. During the x-rays that followed the original injury the tech mentioned that things did not look right. I mentioned it to the doc and they found nothing in the reports fro the radiologist. Thing improved with a couple of flare ups in the next year or two. I was able to continue to run, play volleyball and golf. Over the past two years I have been getting progressively worse. I am unable to play any sports let alone bend over and hold a golf club or even brush my teeth comfortably. I have had multiple MRIs and Cat Scans and recently had a Discogram. I must have raised my pain tolerance because though the procedure sucked, the overall linger pain was no worse than what I put up with on a daily basis. The Discogram revealed a total rupture of L3-L4 with the positive results for S1-L4 and L2-L3. The biggest question is I have seen many studies and results for the lower discs but very little of the L3-4. I have been given the option for ADR or fusion but not sure which would be better? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 09-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Hi Dojo, sorry about the news. Generally speaking, disc troubles higher up in the lumbar are less common than L4-S1. But they ususally resolve on their own too -- if the herniation is not too severe.

You said things ruptured..that sounds troublesome indeed. Do you have the radiologist's report which describes your spine health in more detail? You'll need the reports -- with your digitial images on CD -- in your future travels & assessments.

ADR in the states is genrally indicated (by law and almighty insurance) for one level, at L4-L5-S1. Some patients have docs who have done 2 and three levels, but these docs are very familiar with the process to obtain "compassionate use" or "off-label" uses for the ProDisc, Charite, etc. Because of these limitations (and other reasons) many patients travel overseas and spend big $ on artificial disc replacement.

Please tell us a bit more about your spine and general health. As well, please insert a signaure when you can. Call or email when you can, I am here to help you!

Thanks for posting!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate