ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > ADR Frequently Asked Questions

ADR Frequently Asked Questions Find answers to commonly asked questions here. Please do not post comments here, but choose the appropriate forum to make comments on FAQs herein.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default How does dental health relate to spine health & surgery??

As it turns out, there’s a lot to know! Take a look at some of the past topics of interesting conversations:

ADR and antibiotics for dental work, etc.
ADR and antibiotics for dental work, etc. - ADRSupport Community

Hospital-Borne Pneumonia Can Be Prevented By Toothbrushing
http://adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?p=80035#post80035

Do pain meds effect dental health
http://adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5072&highlight=dental

Dental & Antibiotics - Confused?
Dentist & Antibiotics ~ Confused!? - ADRSupport Community

Rheumatoid Arthritis Sufferers Improve Following Treatment Of Gum Disease (May 2009 News Release)
Rheumatoid Arthritis Sufferers Improve Following Treatment Of Gum Disease

No Standard of Care for Dental Procedures and Patients with Devices
http://www.biofilmcommunity.org/pros...ofilms/207.htm
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default Oral periopathogens and systemic effects.

Gen Dent. 2007 May-Jun;55(3):210-5.
Oral periopathogens and systemic effects.
Costerton J, Keller D.

Center for Biofilms, School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA.

Management of oral biofilms allows dentists to help control the pathogens responsible for periodontal disease and decay. Increasing evidence indicates that the oral system is a portal for pathogenic microorganisms. This is a cumulative situation with systemic effects that can overcome an individual's resistance threshold, culminating in systemic sequela.

New evidence indicates that controlling these oral pathogens has systemic benefits, as oral pathology is related to cardiovascular and respiratory disease, diabetes, and systemic inflammatory responses, as well as low birth weight and pre-term deliveries. Some insurance companies now cover periodontal scaling for gingivitis and periodontal disease for pregnant women and patients at risk for pregnancy.

PMID: 17511362 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Default Gum Bacteria, Clotting, Heart Attack Risks

Unfortunately, microbes or even plaque fragments (biofilms) can also travel to anywhere in the body, and can land on prosthetics too. Keep your mouth super clean for as long as you live!

Gum Bacteria Escape Into Bloodstream And Increase Risk Of Clots And Heart Attack

06 Sep 2010

UK researchers have found another reason for us to keep brushing and flossing our teeth: the same gum bacteria that cause dental plaque can escape from the mouth into the bloodstream and trigger clots that increase risk of heart attack and heart disease.

The study that led to this finding was the work of University of Bristol researchers, in collaboration with scientists at the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin, Ireland (also called the RCSI) and was presented Monday at the Society for General Microbiology's autumn meeting that is running from 6-9 September at the University of Nottingham, UK.

Dr Howard Jenkinson, professor of Oral Microbiology at Bristol's School of Oral and Dental Science, presented the findings at the meeting. He said in a press statement that:

"Poor dental hygiene can lead to bleeding gums, providing bacteria with an escape route into the bloodstream, where they can initiate blood clots leading to heart disease."

He said we all need to be aware that it's not only diet, exercise, cholesterol and blood pressure that we should keep an eye on, but it's also important to have good dental hygiene to reduce our risk of heart problems.

Tooth plaque and gum disease are what happens when Streptococcus bacteria build up in our mouths when we don't brush and floss regularly. Gum disease makes gums sore and they bleed, allowing the bacteria to get into the bloodstream.

In their study, Jenkinson and colleagues found that once Streptococcus bacteria get into the bloodstream, they use a protein called PadA which sits on their outer surface, to hijack blood platelets and force them to clump together and make blood clots.

Jenkinson described this as a "selfish trick" on the part of the bacteria, which completely encase themselves in a clump of platelets, enabling them to avoid detection by the host immune system, and also, to hide from antibiotics.

"Unfortunately, as well as helping out the bacteria", explained Jenkinson, "platelet clumping can cause small blood clots, growths on the heart valves (endocarditis) or inflammation of blood vessels that can block the blood supply to the heart and brain".

The team are now investigating how PadA makes blood platelets clump together so they can find a way to block it. They are doing it with the help of a new blood flow model that mimics the human circulatory system. The model was developed by Dr Steve Kerrigan of RCSI's School of Pharmacy.

"This could eventually lead to new treatments for cardiovascular disease which is the biggest killer in the developed world," said Jenkinson.

Dr Damian Walmsley, professor of Restorative Dentistry, in the School of Dentistry at the University of Birmingham, who is also scientific adviser to the British Dental Association, told the BBC that this kind of research is very welcome because it increases understanding of the relationship between gum disease and heart disease.

Walmsley said it also underlines "the high importance of brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, restricting your intake of sugary foods and drinks and visiting the dentist regularly in order to maintain good oral health".

There are over 100 species and strains of bacteria in the Streptococcus genus, some so diverse they are considered species in their own right.

It wasn't until advances in genetics, such as genome sequencing, arrived in the lab that scientists were able to see the links among strains in the genus. As more links emerge, the more collaboration ensues between microbiologists who until then had no idea that others in apparently unrelated fields were actually working on the same problems.

Jenkinson is also the organizer of the Streptococcus session of the Society for General Microbiology's Autumn Meeting, and in his notes about the symposium he wrote that it should not only provide an overview of "this important research field", but hopefully it will also "re-engage microbiologists working on streptococci and related areas into a UK Streptococcus grouping (UKSTREP) for future benefit".

"Oral streptococci behaving badly." Presented by Howard Jenkinson.
Autumn Meeting of the Society for General Microbiology, 6 September 2010, Nottingham.

Sources: Bristol University, BBC News. Written by: Catharine Paddock, PhD
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Default Periodontal Disease and Overall Health: A Clinician's Guide

What an amazing reference this online book is for people wanting to "brush up" on the connection between peridontal infections and systemic health problems! See the documents here:

Introduction:

Periodontal Disease and Overall Health: A Clinician's Guide

320 page PDF:

http://www.colgateprofessional.com/L...s/pdf/OSCD.pdf (document was deleted by Colgate!)

An excerpt from the first article link:

"...For centuries, the role of oral infection and inflammation in contributing to diseases elsewhere in the body has been studied and reported. Going back to ancient times in Greece, we learn that Hippocrates treated two patients suffering from joint pain by removal of teeth. Clearly, this was an early example of oral disease being associated with afflictions elsewhere in the body. Then, moving forward in time from 1912 to around 1950, the era of "focal infection" dominated our thinking. Reports by individuals such as WD Miller, William Hunter, and Frank Billings noted that in their opinion many of the diseases of humans could be traced to specific foci of infection elsewhere in the body, such as the teeth and gums, the tonsils, or the sinuses. While these observations were not supported by sound scientific evidence, and in fact led to largely incorrect practices, they nonetheless brought attention to the effect of the mouth on the rest of the body.

Then in 1989, with a series of intriguing reports from Finland, the current interest in the role of oral health and disease on contributing to general health and systemic conditions was launched. Kimmo Mattila and his coworkers reported that individuals presenting to the emergency room with a myocardial infarction were overwhelmingly likely to have periodontal disease. Might periodontal disease be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease? Since then, a phenomenal body of work has been directed at understanding how periodontal disease might affect distant sites and organs, and thus have an effect on overall health...."

__________________________________________________ ________

Also see our sister site, for an unusually specific forum on this topic:

The Oral Health Connection
All research, articles and links involving dental, oral and oropharyngeal bacterial biofilms are here.

The Oral Health Connection
Old 06-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Sad Update on Another "Update"

Please see the second topic on my biofilm site, where I publish more biofilm-centric articles and commentary:

So sad, no mention of chronic biofilm infections

Instead of simply complaining, I recommend patients explore, discover and try using the many natural antimicrobial compound/tinctures/oils and products that are available for oral care. In particular, I like the Gerson Institute's approach to oral care, using baking soda, potassium salts, etc. There are myriad ways to keep your "piehole" clean, perhaps that is the next film....
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Administrator

One whole chapter in my documentary is devoted to oral health – The Gateway to the Body. So it’s no coincidence that I continue to do research on the criticality of oral hygiene to maintain (or improve) overall health.

Long ago, I learned that our own oral cavity has thousands of bugs. And some of these are gram-negative bastards can wreak havoc in the gums, cause cavities and create biofilms and locate anywhere in the human body…especially within blood vessels and critical areas of the heart.

In short, bad-gums = bad heart. This is what dentists were taught a century ago! Perhaps it is surprising to some, but in general, dentists aren't as biofilm-savvy as dental hygienists.

So, to help us better understand the importance of these every day health issues, see my interview with two lovely dental hygienists, Sarah and Madison:

Dental Hygiene and Systemic Health - YouTube
Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 AM

Default Implants

Dental Implants really do work.

Side Note.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I recommend patients explore, discover and try using the many natural antimicrobial compound/tinctures/oils and products that are available for oral care.....
Finding this subject fascinating and it so happens that I have been reading about the use of Colloidal/Ionic Silver as a mouthwash. Silver is understood to kill all known pathogens, unlike antibiotics that target a few whilst allowing others to multiply in the absence of those targeted.

AFAIK the use of this is not exactly promoted by the FDA and one needs to do ones own research, but the good news is it can be easily made for pennies at home with a piece of fine silver, a power source and a glass of distilled water.