ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:48 PM

Well, the truth is that Bertagnoli was on the team of surgeons that evaluated the Prodisc and was involved in some of the decisions about design and tooling. The actual invention of the artificial disk is kinda murky as there are designs that go way back, pre-90's, that are clearly precursors to the Charite, the first ADR that actually took off. I know there are those who bash it, especially a recently closed thread here where the "best ADR" was once again debated but the Charite has been in Rich, Sir Alastair and Laura's backs for over a decade and they're still going strong. Not saying anyone should be fool enough to go back to the Charite but its success in some people really illustrates that surgery is a crapshoot and it's more dependent on patient selection, patient care, and proper surgical placement than it is on the hardware being placed.

Laura had two successful cervical ADRs placed by Bertagnoli. We obviously have reason to think well of his skill. I'll admit, though, when we went there Dr. Fenk-Mayer's diagnostic and treatment efforts were what really impressed us. She seems to have moved on to another practice; a great loss for those going to Prospine. On the opposing hand for our opinion of Bertagnoli is the knowledge that he has screwed up in the decade or so we've been on this board. He's had some mistakes in surgery or patient selection and has had some patient relations problems. So far, there hasn't been any perfect surgeons mentioned on this board; only surgeon's who's mistakes haven't yet been discussed.

Boris, I know it's an older comment but to explain Rich's comment about high volume surgeons based on the many conversations he and I have had:

High volume surgeon = one who's done a lot of ADRs in his lifetime = one who's experience is sufficient to reduce the chances of a surgical error

It doesn't mean high volume per day which increases the chance of errors.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Josh, it was Dr. Goldstein...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna View Post
Boris, I know it's an older comment but to explain Rich's comment about high volume surgeons based on the many conversations he and I have had:

High volume surgeon = one who's done a lot of ADRs in his lifetime = one who's experience is sufficient to reduce the chances of a surgical error

It doesn't mean high volume per day which increases the chance of errors.
Annapurna,

Thank you for the clarification. That make more sense.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:41 AM

Default Correction

In my excitement I meant to say the first FDA Approved modern prodisc credited to Marney. history of early evolution of artificial disc technologies:

Early attempts at disc replacement were all nuclear replacements, based on the need to prevent disc space collapse following discectomy.
David Cleveland published the first study in 1955, when he injected methyl-acrylic into the disc space at the time of discectomy in 14 patients.
James Gardner who had "replaced hundreds of damaged lumbar discs with 8x22 mm Lucite pegs, yielding excellent results."
Hamby reported his reproduction of Cleveland's work in another 14 patients, reported in 1957 at the American Association of Neurological Surgeons meetings.

I guess the preceding would be technically the first. Definitions vary.

I'm doing pretty good had typed out long rebuttal an descriptions but some how I deleted everything. I had left leg on fire for 3 days n thought omg I fed up! But at 3 am of the third morning I miraculously n instantly was relieved. I was already on max meds n they r keeping me there but I feel like I could halve my intake. I think I'm doing good but this is a major surgery n I feel it now but watching "Jesus of Nazerith" n listening to Nirvana has brought me great relief. I feel like dancing. But I am having emotional episodes with family. Unfortunately I have a few cold fish around me !

Finally who knows what the truth is anymore I just know I witnessed greatness also I don't understand the attacks on HARRISON ? What's up with that STONE? Multiple times now I see you attack a selfless human that saved my life ? If I were him n God knows I'm not even close I would be insulted by your statements ! I would rip you a new one but I know HARRISON doesn't roll that way !

On another note just remember bloody spaghetti dinner for two !
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 10-11-2016, 03:34 AM

Default Harrison

Harrison is the MAN! He deserves a wealth of credit for creating /running / monitoring / dealing with /researching for this site. THANKS HARRISON!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:37 AM

Default Hip hip hurray!

This site is the number one imho n HARRISON is a fine human being who leads by example not by words alone! I truly appreciate his efforts n find it appalling he has to ask for donations period. I think he is too nice ! He provides a service and if we use this service we should pay up. The therapeutic value alone should pay all bills including his time.

He is thumbs up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.8 KB, 19 views)
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 10-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverc View Post
Harrison is the MAN! He deserves a wealth of credit for creating /running / monitoring / dealing with /researching for this site. THANKS HARRISON!
BTW, to give credit where it's due, Rich is the man. Harrison was his cat.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Question

Thanks for the kind words. It's not about me, you all have helped each other so much by posting. I backed out of the technical aspects of ADR years ago, so you all keep me current, so thanks for that. I am more focused on whole body health and "do no harm" events relating to our government's role in unmanaged care. See my videos and interviews here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ADRSupport/videos

An excellent book on artificial disc replacement, including the history of development:

https://smile.amazon.com/Artificial-...6200568&sr=8-2

Josh, sorry for getting sidetracked. Back to you -- what's the latest? Do you have any consults set up yet?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-11-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Thanks for the kind words. It's not about me, you all have helped each other so much by posting. I backed out of the technical aspects of ADR years ago, so you all keep me current, so thanks for that. I am more focused on whole body health and "do no harm" events relating to our government's role in unmanaged care. See my videos and interviews here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ADRSupport/videos

An excellent book on artificial disc replacement, including the history of development:

https://smile.amazon.com/Artificial-...6200568&sr=8-2

Josh, sorry for getting sidetracked. Back to you -- what's the latest? Do you have any consults set up yet?
I am still waiting for a proposal from Dr. Clavel and am getting my information together for Dr. Bertagnoli. I will have an update when I have more. Looking at other options as well. I'll be posting more once I have more feedback.

Josh
-Currently have severe leg/low back pain
-Diagnosed with spinal stenosis in addition to herniations
-Scheduled for a 3 level laminectomy on Oct. 20th 2016
-Looking for Best 2 Level ADR option/Surgeon
Old 10-11-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Thanks for the kind words. It's not about me, you all have helped each other so much by posting. I backed out of the technical aspects of ADR years ago, so you all keep me current, so thanks for that. I am more focused on whole body health and "do no harm" events relating to our government's role in unmanaged care.
Yes Harrison your site is a great resource for those considering ADR. Please give yourself a pat on your back for me.

Btw, if anyone is wondering, what I said is sincere.