ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:07 PM

"This extract is taken from a newsletter written by Jan Sadler of PainSupport, www.painsupport.co.uk.
Just imagine if it was possible for you to reduce your pain using only your imagination -- well, it is!

You can use your mind to effect changes in your body -- and it's easy, and fun, to do. This technique is called visualisation.

A study of visualisation has been done in America. Three groups of people had their performance measured when goal-shooting at a basketball net. One group practiced for twenty minutes a day, another group did not practice at all, and the third group imagined practicing their goal-shooting skills. After twenty days, each group’s performance was tested again. As expected, the group that did not practice had not improved at all. The group that had practiced their skills improved by 24 percent.

The big news was that those who did nothing but visualize shooting goals had improved by 23 percent, virtually the same as those who had practiced in reality.

Many other studies have also been done, not only with sporting activities, but with health issues. If we see clearly in our minds what we want, the reality will follow; it is as simple as that.

When we use our imaginative skills, the pictures we "see" are immediately translated into physical or emotional reality with a speed as instant as switching on a light. This has wonderful meaning for us. We can harness this power to our own good to make the changes we desire and thus have a real input into bringing healing ourselves and reducing our pain.

The Technique

To get the best out of visualisation it's best to spend some time relaxing comfortably in a quiet place before you begin. You can use visualisation in many ways to help your body, but here are some ideas to start you off:

Many people discover that images of their pain flowing out of them like water are the most effective. When using visualisation, go deeply into the scene, experiencing it fully, letting yourself see and sense everything about the place you are in.

Imagine you are standing in a beautiful fountain, notice the light making rainbows shimmer and dance among the droplets of water. Let the pain flow out from you down through your feet along with the rivulets of water. Feel your body and spirit become free, alive, and invigorated by the sparkling water.
or

Imagine a flowing, bubbling stream with sunlight sparkling on the glistening pebbles as the water tumbles and rushes over them. You sit on the bank with your feet in the cool water. You feel the relief as the water soothes and relaxes you, and any painful sensations drain from your body, downstream and out to the sea.
or

Lie down in a warm, blue healing pool. It could be on the beach or a marble pool indoors. Let the soothing blueness envelop you and permeate right through your body to release anything you don’t need, such as any pain or unwanted emotion. Let it all float out and away from you. Feel yourself soothed and cradled by the warm and comforting blue water.

When you have spent enough time with the water image of your choice, complete the visualisation by gradually coming back to the room, taking the feelings of peace and freedom with you.

These images and any others involving water, such as standing in a

waterfall or an effervescent spring, floating in the sea or taking a foamy bubble bath, are truly relaxing and pain-relieving.

Do try the technique!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The above ideas have been adapted from my book, Pain Relief without Drugs, previously published as Natural Pain Relief, now published by Inner Traditions in America. The book, which also has a new CD to accompany it, will be published in March 2007. The book and CD contain full details of everything you need to know for controlling and reducing your pain.

You can reserve an advance copy of the book and CD on the Amazon website - just search the books section for 'Jan Sadler' or 'Pain Relief without Drugs'.

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.co.uk

TOOL KIT - If you liked this idea why not keep it in your Tool Kit notebook or folder of self-help pain relief methods. If you haven't started one yet, why not keep a special notebook or folder as your Tool Kit to remind you of techniques and skills for coping with pain. Your Tool Kit is especially useful when pain flares up, it will give you constructive ideas to focus upon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WORDS OF WISDOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."

- - Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AND FINALLY...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Signs & Notices

At an optometrist's office: "If you don't see what you're looking for, you've come to the right place."

On a taxidermist's window: "We really know our stuff."

In a podiatrist's office: "Time wounds all heels."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keep smiling!

I hope you find the above ideas useful. If you would like more information on any of the items above plus more ideas for pain relief,
please go to the website below or contact me for details of my CDs, tapes and books which contains many more methods for relaxation, pain
and stress relief.

Jan at PainSupport
www.painsupport.co.uk
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 11-04-2006, 10:15 PM

I just returned from a workshop on this today. Anything is worth a try. I don't know that it would eliminate all of someone's pain but if it can lower it, then that's positive.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy