ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 PM

For anyone who used the trains over in Germany-Did the trains vibrate alot or was it a relatively smooth ride. Did the ride cause you more pain?
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 AM

Laura was in very good shape for a patient needing ADR when we rode the trains, but she did so with no problems at all. We went second class, chairs in an open area rather than an enclosed cabin in first. The movement of the train is considerably less than mild turbulence on an airplane. Stops were a bit more significant but you can stand as the train comes in and starts moving again. I'd imagine first class might also allow you to strech out which would further reduce the effect of movement.

If you are really sensitive to movements, I would suggest that you not do some of the more interesting ideas to cut airfare costs, however. We've gone so far as to compare costs of flying into hub cities like Amsterdam and using the night train, essentially a train-based mobile hotel room, to get to Munich. So far it hasn't saved enough to be worthwhile but that's probably too much for someone sensitive to movement.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 06-10-2006, 05:18 AM

Trains in Germany (Europe)
We traveled by train to/from Bremen and Frankfurt. The trains run ON TIME! Biggest problem for Jim was getting on the train after surgery. After surgery make sure your train schedule does not require a change in trains. Look at the total travel time. Jim was able to stand and walk in the asile without any problems. Being able to walk and move around made the trip more comfortable for him. Also if you make arrangements at least 24 hours in advance you can request travel assistance with a wheelchair to get through the train station. If you are traveling on Monday you must make the travel assistance reservation on Friday before your Monday departure time. Check out the Eurorail.com or bahn.dr (look for English language choice.) Good luck. If you have other questions, e-mail me.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:24 AM

thanks everyone
we are flying into munich non stop biz class.
and i will peter do the driving to and from the airport. anita is being very helpfull.
now if i could restain my nerves i would be in good shape.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5