ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:46 PM

My insurance company may or may not cover the upcoming ADR in Germany. I am going with the expectation that they probably will not cover it, and am prepared to self-pay.

But now I am concerned about what happens afterwards....the follow-up doctor appointments, if I need ongoing medication, etc. If they won't cover the surgery, does that mean they will not cover anything related to the surgery afterwards?

Vent warning: This is nervewracking!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:40 PM

fiddle,
I found a doctor with ADR experience after returning home from Germany who agreed to handle my post-op care. I would suggest establishing that relationship before you go, if you have time.
All I've really needed since surgery were check-ups and x-rays at 6 and 12 month intervals post op; Dr. Zeegers asks that you send him flexion / extension x-rays at these intervals plus every year thereafter. I did have a major scare at around 4 months post-op (stupidity induced, moved wrong; really wrong)and thought for sure I messed something up in there. Went and had X-rays, sent them to Dr. Zeegers via email, heard back the next day that all was good with the implants and he offered insight and suggestions as to the cause of my new pain (which went away in a month or so).
At no time has my insurance company questioned my post-surgical costs (maybe because I'm spending a fraction of what my medical costs were before I had surgery), and they are fully aware of all of the details of my overseas surgery (I submitted a claim; denied because my plan doesn't cover non-emergency overseas surgery, which I knew but tried anyway).
All the Best to You,
Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) with Prof. Dr. Reul (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 07-13-2006, 01:38 PM

Hey fiddle, Glad to hear you found the help you sought and the comfort of your decesion. Best Wishes, your new life is only moments away. Bill
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 07-16-2006, 07:15 AM

Thank you Jeffrey and JL, for your kind words and helpful information.

Fiddle
Old 07-16-2006, 08:00 AM

well fiddle
in my case looks like i'll be paying for it out of pocket because i have a wonderful insurance company
often refered to as BLUE CRAP.
i truely hope they change there tune but only time will tell. so not only i'm i paying for the surgery overseas they have allready started showing there true colors by denial of a gaz blood test. now how lame is this. all i can say is they havn't heard the last of me once i return. i will seek a blood tristhy lawyer and will be contacting fox tv undercover investigator and maybe channel 10 also.
this crap insurance companys r pulling has to come to a stop. they wont approve a fda approved device next it will be we wont pay for a non fda approved device. and there double standard between fed employee and privite is bull crap.
sorry to have gotten a bit off subject
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 07-17-2006, 11:04 AM

Chasswen, I find it interesting that BCBS paid for my bone density test, my blood test, my EKG and just approved my physical therapy sessions post surgery. I am currently in the appeals process for the surgery with Dr. B. There is no rhyme or reason to their madness. Again, good luck with your procedure.

Ken
Old 07-17-2006, 01:07 PM

well ken
so far they have paid or precerted bone densiy x-rays etc.. but a last min blood gaz test was asked for by pro-spine and needed to be done in the hospital but outpatient. my dr office called twice for pre-cert and they said that either because they denied the procedure surgery prior or that they were not involed of any up coming surgery they were not going to give a pre cert for this test.
total bull crap
ive just left a msg with fox tv undercover investigators so we will see what happens.
its really going to suck if they take a no pay stance on post op etc.. and seeing as honeys broke at about this point it has me a bit concerned.
i fought with blue crap a yr ago over charite replacement and lost all 3 appeals but they would be glad to pay for a fusion. SHRUG
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5