ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:46 PM

Well, I got the answer from my appeal. And you can guess what the answer was NO! and for the same reason UNPROVEN. This is just what I wanted to here a day before my vacation. I'm so pissed off I don't know what to say, who to yell at or who's desk to stand on now. There isn't enough prozac in the world to get me out of this mood. All I have done is sit and cry. I'm so tired of being in pain! Now I have to make an appointment with my doc and ask him to put in a referral for me to go to wilford hall medical center in san antonio, first it has to go to the hospital commander here to get his approval, then it has to be approved by the doc at wilford hall, and then if everyone says ok then I head to Texas for a consult. I'm going to michigan for my neices graduation, I'll be gone until the 17th of june, so any appointment is going to have to wait until I get back from michigan. I'm about at my witts end with dealing with this whole mess. My poor husband has been waiting to put his papers in for retirement until I'm fixed, I feel so bad that it is taking so long. He has been in for over 22 years and wants to quit working for awhile, and he says it will be my turn to support him for a change. Well i'm going to cry myself to sleep and see if I will have a better day tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:17 PM

Cat, If you were closer, I'd picket for you. Hey do they have a CT location. Let me know, I'll get you a photo that'll cheer you up. Bill
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 06-01-2005, 02:15 AM
imported_PStewart

Cat -

Just remember, eventually you WILL get ADR. Its only a matter of time. Either you win the appeal, or eventually insurance companies are just going to start covering it. Its like holding back the inevitable...just like hip and knee replacements...this will come.

I'm sure its been mentioned but just in case...Im going to. In Europe, at least with Zeegers or Bertagnoli, the cost of a 2-level replacement is under 30K. My one-level was 22K.

This is the price of a decent American car. If I were horribly suffering or there was no end in sight, I'd take out a 2nd mortgage or sell what I had that was really valuable. Consider how much your last car was and what the total costs will be when factoring in interest. Does this cost more than the ADR? I know this can be insensitive if you dont have the money, but I thought I'd raise it.

When I wanted my ADR, I went from buying a 25K Checy Avalance to buying a 10K used PT Cruiser, and then spent all my savings. All of it.

I apologize if this is not at all possible for you.

Paul
Old 06-01-2005, 07:28 AM

Cat

You go right ahead and vent and cry, girl. If we were closer you'd be getting a big group hug right now! Hope today's a better day for you.

Years of pain, discectomy, research into anatomy, hardware, clinical trials, facilities, surgeons, techniques, insurance. Attempts at ProDisc, Activ-L trials. Now, low bone density. D'oh!!!

At 61 years, no longer qualifying for trials due to my age (chronological, not physical or mental).

2009 - Working on improving bone density or getting rich so I can go to Germany, where medicine and insurance have gone beyond the Stone Age.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

Cat,
I can only say I wish things will work out for you in the very near future~ thoughts & prayers in this direction~ Maria
Old 06-01-2005, 10:40 PM

Cat, I am so sorry that you are having to go thru this. Definately vent and cry all you want. And know....you are not alone in this. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'm all over it! I'm pretty good at finding the next desk to jump on top of.

Your sister spiney.

ADR June 15, 2005 WOOOO HOOOOO
Herrniated L5-S1, Tear in Annulus
Old 06-02-2005, 01:28 AM

Cat,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. You may want to get a referral to Madigan Army Medical Center at Fort Lewis, WA instead of Wilford Hall. It is much closer to MT and the Ortho Spine Surgeon there, MAJ John Devine, is the most experienced ADR doc in the NW and most probably the Military as well. He has done ADRs at MAMC already (as well as 40 or so during his Spine Fellowship training) and operates on service members from all branches of the Military.

Good Luck!!! Keep your chin up.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Cat,

Your frustration level is very similar to my wife Zena's. She's been through as much over the past 4 years as many patients story's I have seen and we are also in the appeal process and getting cold denials. Each time our appeal gets rejected, we have an outburst together. You have to blow off here to get the blue funk out of your head and then get back to the only option which is SUCCESS; stay a good candidate for the ADR by not messing yourself up in any way, and don't get your base commander peeved. Sorry for being male in the reply because I can see that you're really hurt and I am very sympathetic for you and your husband.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:03 PM

Cat
I could just cry with you knowing how much frustration and aggravation this is. There should be some way that it is illegla for the ins companies to hold out on us like this. All they worry about is how many more days or months they get to hold onto the interest they are getting on all the money they have banked. They do not have to contend with the severe pain that we do.
Its a crying shame!
Kim
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion
Old 06-02-2005, 10:39 PM

Latest news from our surgeons office today is pretty good. They've talked to someone at DePuy that said the hospitals are starting to get on board in a bigger fashion with the ADR procedure. That means that the rest of the chips are going to fall into place and it is just a matter of time. Hopefully shorter than we are imagining...