ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:32 PM

Thanks to Dr Clare Harris for this. It is permanently in the FAQ`s

1) Get a cot with a drop side that drops completely to the floor
2)Use a high chair with a foot rest so the child can climb into it themseleves when big enough
3)Encourage the child to climb, then they can climb onto your lap for cuddle when needed.
4)Do lots of games at table hight eg gluing, drawing, letters, snap cards, cooking.
5) Explain to the child ie 'mummy can't pick that up at the moment because her back is sore'
6) Spend time doing the things you can do ie talking, reading books together, we make up lots of stories together.
7) Make life as fun with the child as you can. My 'helping hand' is a great for tickling with and even the dolls in the dolls house have one!
8) If you can, get a car that is a good height for putting children in and out of their car seats. I recommend the renaut scenic.
9)encourage the child to be independant as much as possible. As well as making life easier this can only be a good thing for their future development.
10) If other people offer to take them to do things you can't ie to the park, pushing them on bikes/trikes, daysout, try not to feel envious and be glad the child has the opportunity to do it. Become involved by asking them to tell you all about it when they get home.
11) Keep telling them you love them, that has to be the most important thing for a child
12) Remember you are their parent, no one can replace you.
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 06-26-2005, 06:50 PM

Good ideas, a couple more we have used that has been real helpful to our family. I havent had surgery yet but have to be careful about bending etc cause its so painful.
I got a portable TV tray that I can sit in front of my recliner so I dont have to sit in the hard kitchen chairs. Its been great for games, cards, etc or to help with art stuff.
Get a grabber, extention thing, can be purchased at WalMart or on Ebay etc, its great for picking things up that fall in the floor without bending or getting something in a high cabinet etc. Good for after surgery too
Make it a game to pick up things in the floor with the kids. WE do things like get a box and they put things in and toss them like a ball or whoever gets the box filled first wins and gets a treat.
Hope this helps
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion
Old 06-28-2005, 08:36 AM

I appreciate the suggestions, as I am a "Nana" and love to play with my two grandkids: 19 months and six weeks old. Even picking up the little one can be a challenge with a bad back.