ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:38 AM

Hi to everyone,
please exscuse if i have posted thison wrong place, afraid i'm not very good with these things. I had a Cervical Laminectomy on C3/4, no idea what happened, only know i was left in the most terrible pain which my Drs said would soon go away, no help. Went for physiotherapy, he wouldn't touch me, said he could do ir-reversible damage! Back to consultant looking for answers, didn't get any. Lots of things happened but is too long to post.
Eventually sent to Pain Clinic, was diagnosed with peripheral nerve damage, chronic pain etc.
Going to skip a lot of this as its too long. Was in a car crash last year, had to be cut out, i had whiplash, so, back to consultant. Another M.R.I, more prolapsed discs in my neck! Said i should have an Anterior Discectomy very soon as i run the risk of becoming paralysed from neck down but the risks with that type of surgery were high too. I refused, i'm so terrified of both options i wondered if anyone on here could help me understand this a bit better. Sorry this has been such a long post but i need help please.
Regards
molinda
Old 10-04-2005, 11:27 AM

Hi Molinda,
I'm glad you made it to the forum, I'm sure there are some people here who have similar problems to you and may be a solution.

I know we have different health systems in the UK, but the basic principles of spine problems are always the same it seems.
Best wishes,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-04-2005, 12:33 PM

Thanks Alastair,
wish i had joined a long time ago, so many interesting subjects. Earlier i watched live surgery for Anterior Discectomy, it didn't frighten me, but i still feel it's not for me as i have Myelopathy. But i feel this site will give me so much more information, all i seem to hear is "there really isn't a lot we can do to help you ". Well, i think out there, there is an answer, so, i'll find it myself ! I am very stubborn !!
Molinda
Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 PM

There is loads of alternative things other than ADR discussed here Molanda have a good look round
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-04-2005, 03:58 PM

Hi Molinda,
I have been investigating my options for a year and a half now. I have a compressed spinal cord at c3/4/5. Heard the same dire warnings. Local NS wanted to do a 3-level posterior fusion (not nice).
I freaked and started looking for alternatives. Also by that time it was 7 months after MRI and I felt just fine ( had been on a 7-day cycling trip in Europe). So kept looking.
Got other opinions - US doc recommended anterior discectomy at one level and acdf at other, Euro. doc recommended 2-level ADR. So it seems that either type of surgery should address the myelopathy.

Had another appt. with NS here 6 mo. after first, told him I had been considering ADR, felt fine, wasn't going for the 3-level fusion. This time his response was, "Come back in a year, maybe I'll have found an alternative"

I have pretty much figured that ADR is my best option. But haven't had it done yet.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get another couple of opinions, and hang around here for a while.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:31 PM

Hello Molinda,

I was diagnosed with DDD in 1991. Today I've got cord compression at C6-7, and impingement at C4-5 & C5-6. Bulging disc at C3-4.

Docs have recommended fusion from C4-7 (one said C3-7), but since my daily pain level is in the 3 to 4 range and I don't have significant symptoms of myelopathy, I've been looking into options and getting more opinions. ADR seems best for me and now I'm working on finding the best surgeon for my case.

There are a few multi-level cervical ADR recipients here, and some very knowledgeable seekers. Hopefully they'll see your post and respond.

I've learned a lot from the archived posts. Try the search utility, using 'cervical' and '3-level' and whatever else comes to mind.

I'm sorry for your pain, fears & tough decisions ahead ... but I'm glad to see another Cervie!

Best wishes!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Welcome, molinda, I hope we can provide the support you need to get to the chapter in your life!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-04-2005, 07:56 PM

Welcome Molinda!
Although I don't have any experience with cervical disc pain, I can relate to your need for assistance. This site is a wonderful place to gather information, ask questions, and gain support from fellow sufferers. Hopefully as you read more you'll be able to acquire more knowledge to improve your situation.
Take care and best wishes!
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

Welcome Molinda...we are here to help. Please don't hesitate to email me if you need anything.

I wish you the very best!

Justin
Old 10-05-2005, 12:36 AM

Hi Molinda,

Welcome to the forum. I am a "lumbie" patient and somewhat familiar with C-spine issues too.

When was the onset of cervical problems? When did you have your surgery? Do you have any c-spine fractures? Have you sought out any second opinions or more?
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!