ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Hey Guys,
I'm sorry to bother you again but I am so frustrated that I can hardly see straight. Work comp sent me to a new pain management doctor yesterday that was so unprofessional and inappropriate that it was sickening. After my first surgery at l4-5, I saw a pain management doctor and had two epideral injections, neither of which helped. I requested a specific change of doctors, but was denied the one I wanted and was sent to this quack. He was the biggest "A hole" in the world. Right off the bat, he asked me how he could help me. I said that it would be great if he could relieve some of my pain. He said, "Well I can't. What makes you think I can?" I looked at him like surely he was joking. He wasn't. He repeated himself and I was speechless (which is totally out of character for me). Now I can think of a thousand responses, but at the time I just said, “I…ah…don’t know.” That is how my visit started. There was so much more said but I'll just hit the highlights. I had a pretty long drive to get to him, so my back was in spasms. Therefore I couldn't sit or stand still. I was pacing and rubbing my back. When he came into the room, I didn't want to pace in front of him (especially considering some of the inappropriate comments that he made just a few minutes into our conversation) so I was simply shifting my weight side to side. I so was not jumping around. He said to me that someone with a herniated disc does not jump all over the room. I was dumb founded and did not know how to respond. He said that he has treated people with eye and brain cancer who are in more pain than me and they do not jump around the room. And that anyone who is in that much pain could not handle it for so long. They would collapse after a few days of it. I told him that I disagree with him. After he used the terms "jumping around the room" a few more times, I finally told him that I had a long drive which makes it even harder to sit or stand , and my back constantly feels like it has major Charlie horses in it. I told him that my surgeon said that I needed a fusion but may be a good candidate for the ADR and he went off on me. He said, “Don’t let anyone put something artificial into your back. I can’t believe you would even think of having that done. Did you know that four people, actually four women, died from the surgery. Read the Wall Street Journal and you’ll see. The only way you should let someone put anything into you is if you’re dying. Then it is like ‘What the hell’ you’re dying anyway.” At the end of the appointment, he said he could try facet injections but he did not think it would help. With his attitude and because of the things he said to me such as, "Well if I were tall, thin, and blonde I probably wouldn't have bothered going to medical school," which was only one of the several inappropriate things he said, make me extremely uncomfortable having him perform any procedures on me. But now I feel as if I am screwed because he was my "one time change of physicians". I don't know if I should contact my nurse case manager to let her know all of this or what. Just had to vent. Please help if you can.
Sorry so long.
P.S. I don't own a computer. I have been using my daughter's who was staying with me for a couple of weeks. She is moving into her new place today, so I'll have to go to her house to communicate.
Cathy
*Curr
Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Good gosh, Cathy, I don't know where to start, other than expressing my concern & sympathy. As we discussed, I am happy to help you in any way.

BTW: I don't recall anyone dying from ADR, let alone the WSJ article. I have print & online access, so I'll doublecheck. Talk to you soon.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-06-2006, 02:53 PM

If this was a joke, I'd reply that you should go back and see if he hits on you so that he can get a clean sweep of offending you every way possible.

Not knowing who this jerk is, and not wanting to know except to avoid him, the professional society of needle jockeys like this is International Spine Intervention Society, ISIS. There may be others, but I'm willing to be they would like to know that this person is such a idiot. Website is www.spinalinjection.com.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-06-2006, 04:08 PM

What a total and complete @ss! I barely drive but when I do, you can be darn sure I'm not going to sit still. I would be moving all over the room too. I go through the exact same thing. This doctor seems to have very litle compasssion.

I would fight it. It can't hurt to find a smarter doctor.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 10-06-2006, 07:50 PM

What a horrible experience. Not only was this doctor unethical he was making sexually inappropriate comments to you and you have a good case for sexual discrimination. I would document exactly what went on and report the doctor to the State Medical Board - they do accept complaints regarding unethical and illegal treatment of patients. Then report this to whomever it is at workers comp that would be appropriate. I wouldn't go back to that office under any circumstance, you can change doctors.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 10-06-2006, 11:49 PM

Cat, I can sympathize with you. I have run up against 5 complete a$$hole drs. 1 who caused my injury, 3 pain mgmt drs and 1 surgeon. I had active med mal case when they were jerks...as soon as my case resolved...it was amazing how much better I was treated and believed.

I find it amazing how uncomfortable chairs are in pain mgmt dr offices, and how long they keep you waiting...I've actually asked to find a room with a bed so I can lay down. I often have to pace and move around, lean against a wall etc...so I know exactly what you're going through 'jumping around' the room!

Get another pain mgmt dr....a good one is priceless and wont waste your time or rack up a huge bill if there's nothing more for them to do for you...I think I had too many injections that never lasted long. I actually think a great PT can do wonder, espec with deep accupressure massage and electrical stimulation ...especially an H wave machine...in CA they had H wave, where I live now...no H wave Sometimes the massage at certain trigger points is unbearable until after they do some H wave and/or ultrasound first.

The best thing my last pain mgmt dr did was recommend a surgery consult. the worst thing one of my pain mgmt drs did...was not tell me about the clinical trials for prodisc that were active back then...so that I learned about them after they closed!!! ARGH There was one pain mgmt dr that basically called me a liar... don't give up...there are better treaters out there.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 PM

I appreciate ya'll support, advice, and information sooo very much. The date of that appointment rates right up there as one of the most uncomfortable, stressful, creepy, worst days. I really needed to vent. I am extremely thankful that I found this forum. You all have helped me more than you know. I can't express it enough.
Cathy
*Curr