ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:09 PM

A few weeks pre-op (I hope!), I've been thinking a lot about "prehab" PT ... getting ready for surgery, getting stronger to help with recovery, learning new body mechanics so I'll have "muscle memory" before I need it.

So I want to ask post-op folks: What did you do (or wish you'd done/avoided) to get physically ready for surgery and recovery? Did you change your PT/exercise routine? Are there muscle groups, exercises, techniques, etc. that you can recommend or discourage?

I have an appt. with a new doc in a few days (to establish a relationship for stateside follow-up care), and I hope he'll recommend a PT he likes that will offer me specifics. I guess I'm more interested in your personal experiences and general advice?

I'm a 3 or 4 level cervie (so particularly interested in responses from other cervies, but this is an area with lots of overlap, so ... anybody? Please?

and Thanks!
Jennifer

p.s. Alright Harrison, your excellent GPR post pushed me over the thinking-about-it/must-post edge Thanks for the info, as always!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Banned

My big mistake pre-op was to try to reduce meds... both opiates and A-D's. I was told that it would help my recovery to be on less meds going into the surgery. I was a total wreck.... like a raw nerve ending, always on the edge.

Being more fit before your surgery is a great idea. Taking steps to get there will help some, but others will be hurting themselves in an effort to improve thier odds. It's hard to tell who's who. Be smart... listen to your body... ramp up activities slowly. You'll have time for rehab after your surgery... do it if you can... but don't injure yourself in an effort to undo years worth of deconditioning in a few weeks before your surgery.

Mark
Old 10-07-2005, 06:10 AM

Hi Jenni4,
right from the outset I was told by Dr Zeegers not to do physical therapy or physiotherapy until after six weeks. Even then the physical therapy had to be extremely gentle as did the physiotherapy.

One of the biggest problem is that, people do go much too quickly once the pain from their spines has diminished.

I've always said "slow and steady wins this race" and it's true.

Why try and rush a few weeks or three or four months when you're building a platform for the rest of your life?
Best,
Alastair

PS I hope you've checked out the pre-and post-surgery hints and tips in the FAQs??
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Banned

Alastair, I don't know why we have such differeng memories, since I was at the AK just 2 months after you were.

Now, the AlphaKlinik starts PT at less than 1 week post-op. What they do is mild, but it is PT and they do ramp up the activity level so the people who stay for more than a week post-op are often doing pretty rigorous workouts for just a few weeks out.

The documentation that I was given at the AK said that after 6 weeks, there are no restrictions except "no contact sports at the professional level" I believe that this approach is a bad idea... OK in some cases... potentially harmful in others.

I have a Zeegers client who returned to his adult hockey leagues at 6 weeks and is not more than 10 months out and still playing several days a week.

Again, I think that this approach is a bad idea... especially with the uncoated Charite that patients are still getting in the US. Many of the patients I know who have complications returned to activities way too soon.... some just by doing seemingly innocuous things around the house, others by taking sporting vacations at 4 weeks out.

Everyone is different... what is perfect for some is absolutely wrong for others. The PT done at the AK is superior and I believe is fine... but I shudder to think of US patients going to their local PT clinic at a few weeks post-op and dealing with a therapist who is not well-versed in ADR recoveries and issues.

Be smart, be gentle, ramp up slowly, avoid extremes in range of motion or "peak loading", don't lift your 180 pound mastiff into your truck no matter how cute he is.

Mark
Old 10-07-2005, 09:45 AM

Mark, I think that the reason we have such different thoughts about this, when we both went to the Alphaklinik.

After my surgery, I was not allowed into the gym because they were doing rebuilding work, so I never had the experience of being in the Alphaklinik gymnasium.

I suppose part of it is due to my age because I was aged 65 at the time of my surgery. I remember quite clearly Zeegers saying to me, " we have replaced the damaged disk in your spine, do remember the rest of your spine is the same age as you are".

It was made quite clear to me Dr Zeegers at the time, I abstain from physiotherapy and anything more than very gentle physical movement for 6 weeks. That has served me extremely well in my case. I think that that is more relevant to me because of my age -- -- -- but it has proved a winning formula many many younger patients.
Best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

I absolutely agree... I survived my activities, but just by dumb luck. I was 8 weeks out, driving my neighbors crazy - rollerblading backwards down the street with 2 yellow labs on leash. I shudder to think of what a bad fall might have done.

Talk to you soon....

Mark
Old 10-07-2005, 05:00 PM

Mark,

Thanks for your comments. That's the kind of pre-op insight I was looking for.

-j

p.s. They're not 180# Mastiffs, just three 140# Danes, all of them very cute, but none of them very liftable. I promise, no dog-presses before or after surgery.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Jenni:

And your signature is funny too...let's chat some time soon.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-07-2005, 05:15 PM

Alastair,

I was asking more about ways to prepare *before* surgery.

For example, I've read that cervical spineys often have spasms in the scalene and trapezius muscles post-op. Just wondering if there are things to do pre-op to minimize after-effects like those, or whether it's better to spend my energy on other sorts of preparation.

I have read the pre- & post-op FAQs, thanks! Unfortunately (for me), they are so very lumbie-oriented that it's sometimes hard to determine what applies to me and what doesn't.

Maybe someday soon a recovering cervie who needs some non-strenuous activity might write and submit some neck tips?

Best,
-j
Old 10-07-2005, 05:27 PM

Thanks, Harrison!

And many more thanks for the info on the Clare Davies book, The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. I've loved my Theracane for a long time, but since buying the book ('cuz of your public recommendation), we are now experiencing a renewal of our romance, so to speak.

No matter what else I take to Germany, my dog-bone neck pillow and my Theracane will be with me!

-j