ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:03 PM

Thank you all for your support and replies. My surgeon is Dr. Balderston in Philly. I thought long and hard last weekend and this past week and have settled on my decision to have surgery. Oct. 11th I am scheduled for all my pre-op tests and blood donation and am scheduled for Oct. 24th. 4 weeks and counting. I've wrestled with this decision for years and am finally ready and have peace with my decision and am ready to accept what cards I will be dealt. Right now I trying to get things ready for after surgery, making meals to freeze, and getting my house set up from me afterwards and getting my son prepared for when I away. I sure the week before I will have those pre-sugery jitters, but for right now I just counting my days.

Thanks you all again!
Old 09-30-2005, 03:11 PM

Melissa,
It sounds as though you have tackled the toughest part of the surgical process - battling the system and making your decision. Once you have things around your house in order, take some time to do something for yourself. Do something fun that you enjoy and will put you in a positive frame of mind before your surgery. At least now you can look forward to recovery.

Take care
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-01-2005, 11:34 AM

Melissa, good luck with your decision, I am also wrestling with the ADR option, hope to see your postings on your recovery.

Regards,
Mark
--------------------------------------
L3-L4 Moderate disc degeneration-A posterior fissure is present. A 4 mm central disc protrusion is noted. Mild hypertrophy of the facet joints. Mild spinal stenosis present,

L4-L5 Severe disc degeneration-A posterior fissure is present. Right paracentral posterior measuring 5 mm. Moderate hypertrophy of the facet joints. Mild spinal stenosis present.

L5-S1 Mild disc degeneration-A right posterolateral fissure is present. Mild 2 mm posterior disc bulge
Old 10-01-2005, 02:30 PM

You will be in my thoughts and prayers on the 24th!!!

Best of Luck!
John
Lost all ADR Appeals w/ UHC PLIF Fusion L5-S1 on 5/17/05.
Pars Defect L3-L4
DDD L3-L4 L4-L5
3 LVL Fusion Scheduled 4/08
Old 10-01-2005, 03:28 PM

Good luck Melissa. I know from talking with you many times, that your decision was far from "uninformed" - you have done your homework and research. You need to do what you think is right. None of us ever knows for sure, you just have to go with your knowledge,your instincts, and a good doctor. Anything you need - you know how to reach me. I agree with Crystal, do something just for yourself in the next few weeks. Something that makes you happy and will relax you. Splurge and go get a whole body massage or something. You have been a great friend. My thoughts and prayers are always with you. Take care and keep in touch.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:10 AM

Melissa, Best of luck with your fusion, like I said this Thursday oct 6th I will be getting my fusion extended to L3/L4 from L/4/L5 L5/S1 I know what you are going thru.Just think of it as the best thing that you could do for yourself.I know how much you have to scramble to get things in order all along dealing with the pain, in a short time it will all be worth it!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

Melissa,
Struggling with decisions, especially when in pain, along with fighting the system is indescribable to someone who hasn't had the unpleasure of the same experience.

If you're at peace with your decision then you've conquered half the battle. I wish you luck with your fusion and a speedy and uncomplicated recovery. My thoughts are with you.

Dale
Old 10-03-2005, 08:05 PM

I so needed to read all of this tonight. I had a similar experience with my PM as Melissa has had. I am scheduled for 3 level fusion Oct 18, and all of the negative things he had to say about it have been rolling around in my brain for the last 48 hours.

I am so glad to read that some of you have had good fusion outcomes. I wasted time with a doctor who promised ADR for two years, as my life went by. Now I know that for a variety of reasons, that's not a viable option for me. And I'm not going to continue to live my life in bed. So, onward to Oct 18. And thank you all again.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:11 PM

JoJo, I will officially be a 3 level fusion as of tomorrow, like I said I did so well with a 2 level fusion, so there is hope out there.I have spoken to other people who have had 3 levels and are doing great.I know that a 3 level at once is a tuff surgery to go thru, my 2 level wasn`t quite a breeze either, but I just keep remembering that in 3 months I was pain free and back to work with a normal life.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:38 PM

onecrazyhorse,

Good luck tomorrow! May your surgery take away the lion's share of your pain, and your steady recovery vanquish all the rest.

Best wishes!