ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Looking for a doctor

My insurance company (United Health Care) recently approved cervical ADR for me. I was told I was one of the first to have this procedure approved by UHC. Now I'm deciding whether or not to move forward. I'm also looking for the most experience surgeon in my area. The doctor I've been seeing has only done 2 cervical disc replacements and 15-20 lumbar disc replacements. I'm not sure I want to go with a surgeon with such little experience. Can anyone recommend a surgeon in Wisconsin or Illinois with more experience than this.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 PM

What replacement device is your doctor using? Might I suggest you call the manufacturer and ask for a list of doctors who have completed the training for the surgery and then call each doctor to find out how many surgeries he has completed.

I'm from Ohio and wanted the information for ProDisc-C. I called Synthes and they sent me a list, then I called each one (multiple doctors from same hospital have completed the training, so this makes lists manageable). Their number is 800-895-7764

I've found that the midwest is way behind the rest of the U.S. in cervical ADR's. My husband had an ankle replacement, 5 years ago at the University of Iowa, Iowa City. Maybe call them. Or check my posting for doctors in Michigan in ARTHROPLASTY CENTRAL. There are several members who have received cervical replacements within the last few months but don't know how many surgeries their doctors have performed (Muskegon, Detroit, and Lansing). Maybe they will chime in.

The only surgeons who have done many surgeries, that I know of, are on the west coast, Dr. Delamarter, Santa Monica and another one in Seattle, Texas, and Dr. Yue at Yale University out east. I'm sure there are others, so hopefully the members will give you some answers. Good luck, Sandy

Another thought - if you need more than one ADR it is critical to find an experienced surgeon because placement is critical. Don't mean to say placement is not important with a single ADR, but understand more difficult in two or more? I'm a novice at this so hopefully the more technically educated members will be helpful. Still another thought. Take time to read posts. It will take days, and may be confusing, but the insight is so important.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

Do I need this--Sandra offers great advice. Good luck in your search for a surgeon.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do I Need This View Post
Can anyone recommend a surgeon in Wisconsin or Illinois with more experience than this.
Rush University, Chicago, IL w/o lookup in Wisconsin.

Surgeon tbd, ...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I have a single level C5-6. The surgeon I have been seeing uses the Prodisc-C.

I will call the 1-800 number as soon as possible, Sandra.

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:53 PM

There is Dr. Flood in Lansing, Michigan who has done several disc replacements.

Another member here had him recently. You could put his name in the search feature and send him a PM.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5