ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:29 AM

If anyone has used a cell phone while in Germany, please let me know about your experience. I am thinking about gettin a SIMS card in Germany for my quad band phone. Are all incoming calls "free" if you have a German Cell Phone number? Any other suggestions for receiving calls while in Germany?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Banned

Ms Em,

When / where are you going?

If your phone is compatible, you should be able to get a German SIM card. If not, for about 60 Euro, you can purchase a cell phone that will come with 10 Euro of prepaid. This is what I have done and it's worked out great. All incoming calls are free to me, but calling overseas costs about 1.5 Euro/minute. I call home and say call me back. Calls are billed to the caller at a 'premium' rate. I normally pay .10/minute to call Germany, but these calls are billed at .26/minute.

Another option is internet phone - VOIP. I use this whenever I have a good internet connection and get excellent results... dirt cheap or free, depending on your provider.

Internet can be a challenge or expensive, depending on where you stay.

Mark
Old 03-06-2006, 09:43 AM

Thanks, Mark.
I have a Motorola Razr (V3) Quad Band and UNLOCKED. Read you need to unlock your phone before going to Germany.
Any suggestion on the best place to look to buy the German SIMS? Airport, train station, or other location?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Banned

Ms Em,

If you have a computer you are taking with you, I suggest this link:

Skype. The whole world can talk for free.

This has been a great way for me to talk all over the world for FREE!

Justin
Old 03-20-2006, 06:54 PM

you can rent a cell phone from verizon for about 140 for 2 weeks and it is about 1.50 a minute but all incoming calls are free. my wife bought an international calling card from sam's club that is 6 cents a minute and she called me. hopw this helps