ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default Rethinking the cause of addictions

The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think

By Johann Hari

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/johan...b_6506936.html
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 AM

Very cool read. Might I suggest a book that you might be interested in called Dreamland. It's an investigative journalistic view on the current opioid epidemic.

It details how the pharmaceutical company Purdue convinced doctors nationwide that opium was not addictive and got them to prescribe hundreds of millions of Oxicodone pills to people for any type of pain.

At the same time, cheap Mexican heroin was coming up in nonviolent trafficking cells in almost every major city that didn't already have heroin trafficking.

The result was hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, making the switch to get addicted to the cheaper Mexican black tar heroin

Much like the rats in the experiment mentioned above, many of these people were on welfare and had lived lives that could have been better, but the vast new majority of addicts came from white suburbs where everything was in substantial excess.

A great read for sure
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American
Old 07-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this. Depressing as heck, but we need to know what's going on -- it has to be stopped.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-15-2018, 06:35 PM

You're welcome! Yes, it is terrible. The good thing is that the country is starting to turn itself around at a grassroots level. It gets into that at the end of the book.

It really gives you hope that corporate greed and drug-running cartels can be toppled by enough public outcry.

It's just about getting people involved. Unfortunately, in this case, it has taken hundreds, it not thousands of deaths to get people to speak out against opiod abuse.

It took having opiod overdose becoming the leading national cause of accidental death to have anyone really look at it like an epidemic. Pretty crazy stuff. It has gone on for too long. Too much money lubricating people's pockets have allowed this to take such a stranglehold on the country at every level of class, race and profession.
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.

30 - Male - American
Old 07-20-2018, 04:57 PM

Gravy Baby You stated;

"At the same time, cheap Mexican heroin was coming up in nonviolent trafficking cells in almost every major city" ARE YOU IN LA LA LAND OR SOMETHING , NON-VIOLENT HEROINE TRAFFICKING CELLS DO NOT EXIST! , YET ANOTHER REASON TO EXPEDITE THE BUILDING OF THE WALL ! !
Old 07-22-2018, 01:09 AM

Umm we're just chatting here. This isn't quite the place for political soap-boxing, nor do i care.

30 - Male - American
Old 07-22-2018, 01:14 AM

Also, where's your signature. Are you even a spine patient? Quit lurking.

30 - Male - American
Old 07-23-2018, 01:01 AM

Default "lurking"

Gravy Baby FYI opioid not opiod
Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 PM

Default big pharm and the US congress

another driver for the whole opioid epidemic is the fact that back in 2010 the entire US congress, bi-partisan, unanimous with Obama's rubber stamp all voted for legislation into law that took the teeth out of the DEA's ability to investigate or prosecute "red flags" in this very profitable venture of the drug companies. that was on 60 minutes months ago and repeated a few weeks ago.
2007 mri revealed all but 2 discs of entire spine are either bulged, some torn, a few herniated and compressing foramenal nerves or chord c3-4 fusion. myelomalacia at 2 levels, facet arthropathy, spinal and foramenal stenosis, yadda, yadda...