ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

Paulette gave me a book by her x-boyfriend, Mark Wellman... a very compelling story about a young man who became a paraplegic because of a climbing accident. While the story is a great read for anyone... a spine patient will appreciate it even more. While my disability was was completely different than his, there is much in the book that I identified with. I was frequently moved to tears. As a former climber, backpacker and competitive athlete, I thoroughly enjoyed all the outdoor adventures and competition. It sounds trite, but this book and the advice it contains are truly inspirational.

I don't want to tell you too much about it, but I highly recommend it. I have a hardcover copy that I'd like to donate to the library that Sahauro is keeping. You can borrow the book if you commit to:

1. Reading it in a timely manner... 2-3 weeks. (It's a very quick read.)

2. Sending it to the next member (or back to Sahauro) in a timely manner.

Contact me via PM and I'll start the list for Sahauro and send the book to the first ADR support member who wants it.

I hope everyone enjoys it.

Mark
Old 02-11-2006, 08:44 PM

Mark,

I�m so glad you enjoyed the book. It was a labor of love while helping Mark Wellman put together in 1992. A lot has changed between Mark Wellman and I in the past 14 years but I can say we are still friends and I enjoy hearing about his latest adventures from time to time.

Our relationship is mentioned in the first edition hard copy was cut out of the second edition paperback, that�s an x-girlfriend for ya...

Mark thanks for donating this book to the library. If you read it please let me know what you think, it�s a quick read and I hope it inspires all of you to �Climb Back�.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 AM

Wow.

http://www.specialneeds.com/books.asp?id=13851
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Paulette & Mark,
Thanks for letting me read the book. It was very inspiring and I couldn't put it down --read in 3 days. I've been hiking all over Yosemite that part was interesting too me also. Who wants to read the book next? Where do I send it to?
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 02-20-2006, 04:09 PM

I just read the reviews on the link ans posted. Wow, this hits very close to home for me. I think that it would provide a good perspective to read about someone who heroically returned (or at least partially returned) to a sport that every bit of modern medicine said should be abandoned. Personally, most of my friends and family have been quietly or firmly trying to convince me to give up any hopes of ever being able to climb again ever since they heard about my DDD and arthritis. I've always assumed that they were right and that I was being irresponsible or selfish in seeking medical help to pursue the sports I love. I can't wait to hear the other perspective.

Best,
Laura
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 02-20-2006, 04:52 PM

Spotty,

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book and took the time to let me know. Someday we will have to meet in Yosemite it will be truly �Climbing Back� for us both.

Laura,

I know how it feel to think you may never be able to do something again and as active mountain people we are faced daily with physical challenges just to get out the door when we want to climb the moutain in front of us. It's a grieving process when we are striped from our activities and it�s devastating.

My hope it that this book will inspirer you and others to never give up on your dreams but to see that there are many different ways to Climb Back.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:54 PM

Paulette,
I'd love to meet in Yosemite sometime. I can't sit but I can still walk.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 02-20-2006, 04:58 PM

I look forward to it Spotty!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Banned

Sahauro should be keeping a list of people who want the book. She'll tell Spotty where to send it. If no-one else wants it now... it'll go back to Sahauro.

We are working to formalize the system and publish instructions and a list of materials. More to follow.

Mark