ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:33 AM

Anyone here qualified to analyze and/or explain my discogram & ct films to me?

http://www.dhwaldron.net/gallery/album37

(Obviously), I have the results, but other than "my back is really messed up", I really don't know what the heck they show (and my next neuro appointment isn't until mid next month).

David
Old 06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Dave, lots of folks have informed opinions here, but no one has the qualifications of a doctor. Although, some top notch docs do read through these posts occasionally...

L5-S1 is a bit pancaked? What does your doc say? The radiologist's report?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-22-2005, 05:37 AM

Hi Dave,
You need the radiologists report to explain stuff as Harrison says. Had it been straight X-rays I would have given it a "Laymans " try but CT scans are for the professionals -- - its what we pay them for!!
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 06-22-2005, 07:37 AM

Np. Figured it was worth a shot.

I have a followup appointment with my neuro on 14-JUL, and unfortunately he won't release his written report to me until he has gone over the results with me in person.

My neuro did mention that my pain was no longer "just" at L4-L5, but also at L5-S1 as well.

...In the mean time I guess I can organize things for some overseas opinions as well, as it looks like my problem is no longer just L4-L5 (I am presuming that my best options will now probably be: ADR @L4-L5, fusion @L5-S1, or ADR @ L4-L5 and L5-S1)

David
Old 06-22-2005, 09:59 PM

I think you're entitled to see the written report by the facility who performed the tests.

Best, Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:14 AM

I agree 100%, and I will on 14-JUL when I have my neuro appointment. Unfortunately, he won't let me see it until then.

In theory, the medical records department of the hospital *might* have a copy of his written report. If I weren't going on vacation in a week, I would probably push the issue a bit more.

Since I am going on vacation, and then have my follow-up neuro appointment, I guess I will have to wait until then and see what he says.

More than likely, my 1-AUG scheduled surgery will be cancelled (by me) as I will need some time after 14-JUL to consult with Dr's. Z and B.

David
Old 06-23-2005, 07:16 AM

I agree with the above pertaining to written radiologist's reports. Most facilities will be happy to fax them to you or release copies to you if you go in person and sign a form. I'm pretty sure that's your right as a patient, even if your neurologist ordered the radiology or referred you.

I'm not sure what report your neurologist is referring to that is "his" report. Neurologists don't report on radiology, radiologists do that and if you have the films you should have been given the accompanying written reports as well, which are the radiologists interpretation of the films.

By the way, the upper three AP views you linked to are all the same. I looked at them very carefully and then realized the time stamps are identical.

Years of pain, discectomy, research into anatomy, hardware, clinical trials, facilities, surgeons, techniques, insurance. Attempts at ProDisc, Activ-L trials. Now, low bone density. D'oh!!!

At 61 years, no longer qualifying for trials due to my age (chronological, not physical or mental).

2009 - Working on improving bone density or getting rich so I can go to Germany, where medicine and insurance have gone beyond the Stone Age.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:30 AM

I think Rein's 100% dead-on. You call, they'll send a "release" fax, send it back; or, go there in person. Your doctor has no control over this.

There might be a reason your doc is so controlling: 1). He's an a**; 2) Sometimes radiological clinical impressions/dx are ambiguous or do not jibe w/the doc's interpretation; or, 3) He/she's worried that you'll get swamped and misundertand the new language/subtle permutations of the impressions/diagosis.

But I'd get it.

Good luck, Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:30 AM

ah. Gotcha.

We are talking about two different things.

I am talking about the neuro's report on the discogram that he performed, and his findings (last time I had a discogram, the neuro also provided me with a written report, but no films).

I guess I didn't realize that the radiology department also should product a written report of their findings from the CT scans.

All I was given was the CD with the provided discogram films and CT films. I then selected every image of every study, exported the images to .jpg format, and then uploaded to my site.

In my specific case, I am not hugely pressed for time right now. I have just started working with Mark (who is in Deutschland right now) to setup my online profile.

Obviously, I should have everything I need right now for overseas consultations, with the possible exception(s) of the neuro's report, and the radiology report (as you note).

Once I get back from vacation, I will have my followup neuro appointment, probably cancel my surgery, and then consult with Dr's B and Z.

David
Old 06-23-2005, 09:17 AM

Rein,

btw, thanks. It did appear that somehow I missed some images (or whole series of images), and duplicated (or more) some of the other images/studies.

I think I have it taken care of now.

David