ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Default ADR. Is it worth it?

Having ADR surgery early December on C5, C6, C7. Is it worth the risk. I am in pain every day; taking 3 percs to deal with it. That is the devil I know but is it worse than the one do not?
Thanks for any help
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 PM

You need to assess risks yourself because you are the only person who understands how you weigh known problems now vs. potential future problems. You can ask, though, where are you now; is your pain increasing fast, slow, or holding steady month by month; based on your current condition, what were you told about the likelihood of a good surgical result. These are all things you need to weigh for yourself. We can only help you ask the right questions and help you to get correct answers, whether your surgeon is ducking out on the truth or you're painting a too rosy or too dark picture for yourself.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

Please see the first topic in this forum to add a signature (your welcome email as well).

This topic is a must read!

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f51...ications-9620/

Let me ask you an obvious question: what is the source of your pain? How long have you had it? What caused it?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Hi Electron,
Everyone's situation is different. I had a 3 level hybrid (2 ADR, 1 fusion) from L3-S1 and would do it again in a heartbeat! Take some time to read a few of our stories. You can also use the search feature and search for stories relating to your C levels.

Good luck!
2012 trauma lumbar following yard work
Nov 2012 MRI Bulging discs L4,5, S1
Mild stenosis
Dec-Jan PT
Jan 2013 Discogram
Results Level 5 Annular tears L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
Need 3 disc fusion
Facet Joints injections, March 2013- no relief
Transform.., Epidural Injections 4-23-13 Right L2-3 No relief
2nd ESI 5-14-13 L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 No relief ugh.
ADR L3-4, L4-5, Fusion L5-S1 Fusion Dr.Blumenthal TBI July, 2013
Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 AM

Annapurna has stated some good advice. I recently(17 weeks ago) had a 3 level lumbar adr with M6. I think one of the most important things is that once you make your decision you have to be grounded and confident that you are making the right decision so that that if the outcome does not end up being the best expected you will not regret your choice.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 AM

electron,

Welcome, and I like your handle.

I don't think there's a yes/no answer to that question, and though you haven't stated many details about your condition, it sounds like you probably need some kind of neural decompression surgery, which will almost certainly be "worth it".

Be aware that this neural decompression will be part of your ADR surgery and per the experience of posters on this board often results in noticeable relief upon waking up after surgery. If you're sweating the ADR because it's new (only about 25 years old), don't forget that fusion is still an option, and that the same neural decompression is performed during that surgery.

If you'll provide a few more details about your condition and the source of apprehension about ADR, then perhaps the members of this board can help confirm or alleviate those fears. I would highly encourage you to spend some hours reading the stories in the "Surgical Outcomes" board on this site. You'll mostly find stories and experiences of successful ADR surgeries, but you'll also find plenty of failures. You can learn what the board members that have already traveled the path you're on did, why they did it, how it worked out, what they wish they'd done differently, and why. It is a treasure trove for someone with the misfortune of being in your shoes.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 PM

thanks for the replies. I am surprised that there were so many responses. I will continue reading others stories

Im 58 male with cervical spinal stenosis for last 3 years (noticeably and painfully) but in perfect health otherwise
The discs are bulging between C5, C6, and C7
Been to many place in Seattle area but Im settling on Dr Chapman at the UW.
Im sick of the pain, no energy, losing muscle tone etc.
I have been an industrial electrician for 35 years and never had problems like this
Tried different Chiro, accunpuncture, naturopathy, vitamins, exercise nothing helps

Thinking of ADR instead of fusion

Last edited by electron; 11-14-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Before you settle too quickly on ADR and Chapman, it's worth asking if ADR will work for you. Are there any indications of arthritic changes or bone damage? Is your pain from something that happened recently or a very long, slow gradual change? If it's slow and gradual, it's more likely you'll find other subtle damage associated. It's it's too abrupt and fast, it's likely that something really bad happened and affected more than just the disks. These are the types of questions to ask yourself and then your doctor so you'll know the likelihood of a good surgical outcome.

What's Chapman's experience level? This is not the time to go for a low cost provider. Overseas travel to someone with huge amounts of experience was the preferred answer for many people on the board when they couldn't find anyone local who had enough experience to make them happy. I always argue the disk type is less important than the surgeon's skill but it's worth know what kind of ADR Chapman offers.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Default Concerns About The Increase In Spinal Fusion Surgery

Hi all,

Was listening to NPR yesterday and heard this... thought some of you might be interested in the radio program.
Concerns About The Increase In Spinal Fusion Surgery | The Diane Rehm Show from WAMU and NPR
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks