ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 PM

Unhappy Facial Asymmetry Due to Injuries

Hi there. I am still relatively new here. One thing I didn't share, a biggie, is that some of these injuries have effected my face, and how I talk greatly. I began unintentionally isolating myself, telling myself lies, like it will get better soon. That was 5 years ago and it has only gotten worse. It's very embarrassing for me. I want to get it all fixed after surgery on my cervical injuries.

Has anyone else suffered from facial issues due to their injuries?
Has anyone else become so self-conscious that they couldn't be around people because of this?
I am doing better now. I am forcing myself to get out there, and what not.

I need my jaw fixed, and teeth straightened (they've shifted, and I had to have some pulled because an orthodontist and my husband talked me into a Herbst appliance---nasty device and I was wearing it when my late husband threw me across the room using my mandible), and possibly some plastic surgery.

*I think the facial issues were sustained from being thrown across the room by my mandible while wearing the herbst appliance.*
Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy C2-C6 and with severe posterior osteophyte complex from C2-3/C5-6. Herniations at C3 to C5-6 with severe bilataral foramimal and canal stenosis at C4-5/C5-6 contacting cord. SURGEON REPORT: Moderate to severe cord compression C4-5/C5-6. Flattening cord at C4-5 Severe narrowing of the C5 nerve root. Cord is compressed, forced against lamina. C4-5/C5-6 worst. ADR suggested at C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6 Associated Diagnoses: Brachial Neuritis

Last edited by Renee771; 09-02-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Renee, has this been diagnosed as a palsy? From your tests, are you sure it's because of nerve compression from the cervical area? Brachial neuritis is not something seen every day among spine patients. I've seen it (occasionally) from infections. In my case, the infection from the intubation procedure started in the throat, and fanned out into other areas like the brachial plexus and even cranial nerves. On a similar note, you may know that Lyme disease often presents in the cervical spine. Bells palsy presents in a very obvious and troubling way in the face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_palsy

http://www.ilads.org/lyme/primary-ca...n-brochure.pdf

I read that you've had multiple injuries, I am sorry. Have you had an EMG?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-31-2014, 04:02 PM

Thumbs up You Know Your Stuff, Harrison!!

Dear Harrison: No, I have no been diagnosed with palsy. I did follow your link on palsy and that's not quite what's wrong.

I had scarlatina as a child, post-op infections, lost of ENT infections as a child (I had 4 ENT surgeries by the time I was 12 to try and halt the chronic infections).

I was diagnosed viral meningitis at 16. E.R. doc said I had it for over a year, because I had been complaining of the symptoms for that long. I went into shock, and finally got my parents attention, lol.

I also have RA, untreated scoliosis, and yes, I have sustained a lot of trauma. a few car accidents. etc.

I would like to note also that I have had "the flu" in my neck a few times as a tween. Immense pain came over my neck and head, and then I became completely unable to move, and my head fell to the side on top of my shoulder. My doctor was perplexed, and said it was an infection of some kind that had come and gone.

I am getting sicker and sicker and nobody is telling me anything. Why wouldn't anyone tell me about the B.N. before the stem cell injections? Or, that there was no disc material to inject the stem cells into? I am frustrated, and disgusted. I had this MRI for the "surgery", my primary knew the results of this MRI when she did a pre-surgical physical. She could have told me, as well as the Colorado surgeons.

Thank you, Harrison. The link on Lyme disease was VERY INTERESTING!!!
I am going to call and make appointment for blood work tomorrow.
Sincerely,

Renee
Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy C2-C6 and with severe posterior osteophyte complex from C2-3/C5-6. Herniations at C3 to C5-6 with severe bilataral foramimal and canal stenosis at C4-5/C5-6 contacting cord. SURGEON REPORT: Moderate to severe cord compression C4-5/C5-6. Flattening cord at C4-5 Severe narrowing of the C5 nerve root. Cord is compressed, forced against lamina. C4-5/C5-6 worst. ADR suggested at C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6 Associated Diagnoses: Brachial Neuritis

Last edited by Renee771; 09-02-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:11 PM

Default Yes

I was shown the compression on the cord by the Midwest Spine Institute. I have sent my MRI to San Francisco surgeon, and a place in Florida that does disc implants and also my pain doc have all expressed concern over me having ANY kind of small accident because it could be "detrimental" because of the cord compression. Surgeon on Monday that denied me pointed out the herniation's in T1 and T2. The osteophytes are huge.

I had an EMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Renee, has this been diagnosed as a palsy? From your tests, are you sure it's because of nerve compression from the cervical area? Brachial neuritis is not something seen every day among spine patients. I've seen it (occasionally) from infections. In my case, the infection from the intubation procedure started in the throat, and fanned out into other areas like the brachial plexus and even cranial nerves. On a similar note, you may know that Lyme disease often presents in the cervical spine. Bells palsy presents in a very obvious and troubling way in the face.

Bell's palsy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.ilads.org/lyme/primary-ca...n-brochure.pdf

I read that you've had multiple injuries, I am sorry. Have you had an EMG?

Last edited by Renee771; 09-02-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Forgot about EMG
Old 09-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Exclamation

Renee, I had to figure out what my diagnosis was since I was slowly dying. I was on antibiotics for 3.5 years. My story and research is chronicled in my film which is now in 5 languages. See:

Story | WhyAmIStillSick.com

It appears as though you had a number of infections that settled into your body. I would strongly recommend using Igenex for blood testing; also test for co-infections:

Welcome to IGeneX, Inc.

Standard lyme tests screen only for ONE strain of Borrelia, when if fact there are 100s of strains! No wonder most tests leave people as "negative." Another scam that leaves people guessing! Igenex screens for many more strains...

Most doctors are reluctant to admit that certain viruses and bacteria not only have a tendency to settle into joint tissue (they love collagenous tissue) but stay there indefinitely. The little critters have developed special enzymes that help them tunnel into tissue, away from blood, O2 and of course immune cells. So they've learned how to survive in the body, safely.

This still leaves the question of many other kinds of bugs that can infect nerves (peripheral, even cranial). This is a bit more challenging. If you can convince your PCP or an ENT doc, I recommend using PathoGenius who using molecular diagnostics (PCR to identify traces of DNA from microbes). Strep, staph and yeasts are often involved in sinus infections; left untreated they cause nasty problems that often go systemic.

This is upsetting stuff, but more and more of this is occurring every day. And our medical authorities answer for this? Less diagnostics and less antibiotics.

Brilliant, eh?!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 PM

Thumbs up Thank you very, very much.

Dear Harrison: You've provided me with excellent, excellent information, and resources and I am very grateful: Thank you.

You are a remarkable human being. I think what you have done in getting this information out to the masses in above honorable, and commendable: It's the act of a great humanitarian.

Sincerely,
Ever-grateful,
Renee

Quote:
Renee, I had to figure out what my diagnosis was since I was slowly dying. I was on antibiotics for 3.5 years. My story and research is chronicled on my film which is now in 5 languages. See:

It appears as though you had a number of infections that settled into your body. I would strongly recommend using Igenex for blood testing; also test for co-infections:

Welcome to IGeneX, Inc.

Standard lyme tests screen only for ONE strain of Borrelia, when if fact there are 100s of strains! No wonder most tests leave people as "negative." Another scam that leaves people guessing! Igenex screens for many more strains...

Most doctors are reluctant to admit that certain viruses and bacteria not only have a tendency to settle into joint tissue (they love collagenous tissue) but stay there indefinitely. The little critters have developed special enzymes that help them tunnel into tissue, away from blood, O2 and of course immune cells. So they've learned how to survive in the body, safely.

This still leaves the question of many other kinds of bugs that can infect nerves (peripheral, even cranial). This is a bit more challenging. If you can convince your PCP or an ENT doc, I recommend using PathoGenius who using molecular diagnostics (PCR to identify traces of DNA from microbes). Strep, staph and yeasts are often involved in sinus infections; left untreated they cause nasty problems that often go systemic.

This is upsetting stuff, but more and more of this is occurring every day. And our medical authorities answer for this? Less diagnostics and less antibiotics.

Brilliant, eh?!

Last edited by Renee771; 09-02-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Confusing Post
Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

Thanks for the kind words, but...

...sometimes this information only sets up another cascade of frustrating visits with doctors who don't have the mindset/training/curiosity/CME/dedication to support patients in getting a root cause diagnosis.

Whatever the case, please keep us posted. I hope you find some better doctors soon.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 PM

Default Ok

Thank you.
I apologize.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, but...

...sometimes this information only sets up another cascade of frustrating visits with doctors who don't have the mindset/training/curiosity/CME/dedication to support patients in getting a root cause diagnosis.

Whatever the case, please keep us posted. I hope you find some better doctors soon.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Renee, I had to figure out what my diagnosis was since I was slowly dying. I was on antibiotics for 3.5 years. My story and research is chronicled in my film which is now in 5 languages. See:

Welcome to IGeneX, Inc.

Brilliant, eh?!
Harrison - You have my attention in regards to Lyme's Disease. I went to naturopath who did a body scan on me and claimed I had Lyme's Disease. Went to the VA and got tested for it and they said no. Can my family doctor order these tests? Or is something I would have to pay for out of pocket?
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 09-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Default Phone Call/PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado babe View Post
Harrison - You have my attention in regards to Lyme's Disease. I went to naturopath who did a body scan on me and claimed I had Lyme's Disease. Went to the VA and got tested for it and they said no. Can my family doctor order these tests? Or is something I would have to pay for out of pocket?
I called my PCP, and she said they would be happy to draw the blood work, send it and file a claim for "that" but I would need to speak with both IGeneX, and PathoGenius and/or my insurance to find out how who will be paying the bill.
I am calling each company right now (hopefully nothing gets in the way) and I will be more than happy to PM you with what I learn, CB.
Smiles.