ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:30 PM

Default L5-s1 disc replaced nov 2015

Hi all

I'm about 6 weeks out from my l5-s1 lumbar disc replacement. Things went amazing initially...but I'm really struggling now. Please read my posts in the surgical outcome thread. I appreciate any advice...

Thanks!
Severe issues 2013. degenerative disc disease 2013, disc protrusion, mild stenosis. Epidural steroid injections, chiro, massage, accupuncture, too many meds to list, Naturopath, physio, occupational therapy, kinesiologist, counselling...
M6 Artificial disc replacement @l5-s1 Nov 2015, in Canada
June 2016 - still struggling...Physio, accupuncture, massage, counselling...
Old 12-15-2015, 06:38 PM

Hang in there, the recovery route is full of ups/downs. At the 18 month mark I was still having good and bad days (although the good far out numbered the bad). At the two year mark (with good effort to strengthen core) it was like a switch flipped, almost no bad days and at times, I actually FORGET that 2 years ago I could barely walk/stand.

YMMV, but if you're typical, you will be in recovery for a long time.

Best wishes.

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"
Old 12-15-2015, 07:14 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your message, Mike. Seems ups and downs are normal... Patience!
Severe issues 2013. degenerative disc disease 2013, disc protrusion, mild stenosis. Epidural steroid injections, chiro, massage, accupuncture, too many meds to list, Naturopath, physio, occupational therapy, kinesiologist, counselling...
Old 12-21-2015, 11:25 AM

One thing I noticed, on "good" days, I tended to do too much. Then would suffer for a number of days. I recommend paying close attention to your pain cycles and try to figure out what sets you off.

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"
Old 12-21-2015, 02:05 PM

Default Thanks

That's a really good point... On a bit better day, I do too much and then get rebound issues. I did balance very hard.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Thumbs up Hang in Bro

I am looking at surgery also so I know the horrible feelings of being in pain. You have hope my friend, not only hope but an excellent chance of having a great life. It's funny how when we are down n out we seek companionship and once feeling good most of us abandon these forums myself included. I wish you the best my friends and will forever be great full to Harrison and the others that stayed involved in helping us, once they were healed. All I can recommend to you since I know nothing about the healing process is: Once you are healed n feel GREAT! Please come back periodically so those of use can get a better grasp of the successes. Seems like most that are healed move on and those were the ADR doesn't work for stay and spread the negativity, not that I blame them. It's just that for every horror story I read I weep and cast a "nay" vote for ADR and for every positive post I cast a "yay" vote. Now if all the successful patients move on there is a shortage of "yay" votes in my statistical warp afraid pain infested mind!

Good luck God Bless and best wishes may the lord guide you bodily hearings and provide you a long happy successful patient!
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great