ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:47 PM

I noticed several of you mention that you are bicycle riders. I have to admit, I was not a bike rider until March-April of this year. I was always a runner, but after so much pain and aggravation in my lower back from running, at the suggestion of my doctor, I switched to riding a bike.

One thing I noticed, before riding, my left leg was so weak, it could barely hold me up and there was so much numbness in the ankle area. I had read many of your posts and many of you stated to stay as active as possible before surgery because it will help during and after surgery. (That was also the advice of my doctor. He said to stay as active as my body would let me.)

I was eager to get out there and do something active again, so I got the bike out, dusted it off, and pushed myself, especially my left leg. It was so hard at first, as my left leg was just so weak. But, the bike riding has helped my leg so much over the last 2-3 months and the riding doesn't seem to put additional pressure or pain on my back. I can't tell you my leg is perfect, but most of the time the pain is gone, and the numbness has lessoned. That leg can also hold my weight again and I don't walk with much of a limp anymore. I am up to about 11 miles now and the leg can still keep up!

So until surgery I will continue to ride and I plan to continue riding after surgery instead of running. It does appear to be the better choice over running, for me at least.
May, 2007 Discogram revealing DDD at L3-L4 and L4-L5.
Dr. Recommended 2 level ADR. Denied three times.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Banned

Hi Robby,

Was away when you posted this; just got back.

We're the same age . I ran for many years and hated biking--until I was told to stop running. Took it up out of sheer necessity to keep moving and to avoid gaining weight. Had I known how it was going to shape and tone my lower body, I'd have started years ago.

Completely agree with you. Keep riding!

Trace
Old 08-11-2007, 07:22 PM

I've got over 1,200 miles in for the season so far and am shooting for 2,000 or more. I rode almost 2,000 before my 4 level ADR surgery last November. The good shape I was in prior to the surgery helped the surgeon access my spine and has helped in the healing process. I highly recommend cycling as a minimal impact sport that will put a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 08-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Dittos all around! I rode as much as I could before my surgery, even though it killed me. Stretching and inversion helped immensely.

Robby, how are you doing?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-12-2007, 07:05 PM

I am doing ok, like most of us waiting for ADR surgery. I have my good days and my bad.
I actually have my appeal hearing coming up on Aug 21, next week. I have been in contact with the Insurance Warrior and feel I have a pretty good case.
Wish me luck. I'll let you know what happens.

Robby
May, 2007 Discogram revealing DDD at L3-L4 and L4-L5.
Dr. Recommended 2 level ADR. Denied three times.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

GOOD LUCK ROBBY Let us know how it turns out.

Terry: 1200 for the season??? In the words of Frank Barone: 'HOLY CRAP'

Good for you. I don't have that many but I can plead the rainy weather of Brittany as a cause..especially this year. FYI: In the month of July, the days without precipitation numbered THREE.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 AM

Hi Robby,

I have been an avid mountian biker for over 25 years and would credit riding a bike with a very successful ADR and as a source of inspiration to recover. Most runners will eventually have to stop running due to the pounding it causes the body, but that doesn't mean you still can't stay close to the sport. My best friend can no longer run due to spine issues, but he did the swimming leg of a triathelon last week. His son did the running and another of our friends did the bike leg. In the same race a woman confined to a wheel chair with MS had her husband roll her down to the water so she could do the swimming leg for her team. Life is part physical and part spiritual. Physical ability can be taken away in a heart beat. Each of us are responsible to maintain our spirituality and as long as we do so life has much to offer. ADR has given me the chance to get off the couch and off drugs and back on with my life. You may need to use a little creativity to fill the void not running will create, but if you really think about the situation I'll bet that you will come up several attractive alternatives.

Good Luck,
Grizz

microdiscectomy L4-L5
ruptured disk L4-L5
Maverick ADR 01-12-2007 Stenum
Old 08-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Hi Grizz:

Haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope life is good in Idaho . I am hanging in there as ornery as ever. I have over 1,200 miles in for the season and am shooting for over 2,000. Have you had any complications with your discs? I've overdid it on a few occasions and have needed some injections but have done well in spite of it being a major surgery.

Nice to hear you are still hanging in there. Go with God.

Tmont: I wish we would get some rain. We have had a drought for the whole season in Michigan. It looks like we may get a little today but we are down by 3 - 6 inches for this time of year. Everything looks brown except my yard which I irrigate the hell out of. As far as my cycling I am a tortoise compared to others that I ride with. One guy has over 6,000 miles on for the season so far. That is all I see him do is ride though. Tsk! Tsk! I have to work for a living though. Retirement is still many years away.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 08-14-2007, 03:50 PM

Hi Terry,

I still have some distraction pains, but they have a very typical pattern that I have learned to deal with. When I have them it is always in the morning and they always are gone by 10:00 AM. They make me uncomfortable, but are not worth wasting the rest of the day dealing with the side effects of muscle relaxers. The only other remarkable event for me was when I had a car pull out in front of me while I was in a bike lane rolling along at 17mph. I had to lay my bike down and ended up doing a baseball slide under the guys Land Rover. It was bizzare being under the vehicle and watching the wheels stop rolling. The slide took all the fur off my right hip, leg, and arm and the doctor was concerned that I might develop avascular necrosis in the hip joint, but everything has seemed to heal well. It is interesting that I could hit so hard on my hip and not have any symptoms in the lumbar area. That says alot for motion preservation. Kayaking is the only activity that I really don't care to do as much as pre-ADR. I spent a morning as a safty kayaker for an open water swim event and ran into some old friends that just happend to doing a day float down the Clark Fork the next day. That was a little over doing things and I paid the price for a couple of days, but it let me know my limits and I have backed out of a scheduled 5 day trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon Sept 5. I don't think that would be a big deal if I had a cataraft, but I have no need to push my limits. Life is good.

Take Care!
Grizz
Old 08-14-2007, 06:10 PM

Even with kayaking, it depends on the type and your style. Laura has gone on week-long sea kayaking vacations without pain. Then, of course, the three-hour drive back to the airport lit her back up. Her friends and co-workers don't choose to understand why an hour of sitting still might cause more back pain than 14 hours of climbing a mountain with a backpack on.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog