ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:50 PM

What if any is the connection, between the condition described as: Myofascial Main Syndrome and cervical spine disease e.g.: disc disease, stenosis (central canal, foraminal), other?

Is there a connection? For those patients that have been diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome, or have found trigger points (i.e. painful, achey muscles in the neck and upper trunk) on their own, and have had these problems treated without relief, has the possibility that the pain generator is c-spine disease and not muscle overuse, etc. been considered?

It seems logical that disease/dysfunction in the c-spine especially over many years could contribute to or even be causative of MFPS, trigger points etc..

Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:01 AM

Hi Biff,
Fascia is a tough connective tissue. It is similar to a densely woven sweater that runs head to toe. When we experience a trauma or inflammation it loses it's elacsticity and can exert excessive pressure producing pain headaches and restrictions. The central nervous system is surrounded by fascial tissue(dura mater) which attaches to inside of cranium, the foramen magnum and the second sacral segment. Apparently dysfunction in these tissues can have profound and widespread neurological effects.
MYOFASCIAL PAIN and DYSFUNCTION by Janet Travell, MD illustrates that there is myofascial element for every muscle in the body.
John F Barnes PT is an expert on Myofacial Release He is at www.myofascialrelease.com
Cranial Sacral therapy along with myofascial release have given me alot of pain relief.
Hernited severely c4-5 with svere central cord compression awaitng Prodisc adr cervical. Thank you Shermaine
PS I went to a Physical therapist who had studied under DR. Upledger ( He is cranial sacral expert in Florida) and she also studied under John F Barnes Good Luck
Old 03-20-2005, 12:57 AM

Hi Shermaine:

The idea was to see how cervical spine disease might cause or relate to neck/upper trunk soft tissue pain and or MFPS. As opposed to the other way around. In my case the treatments you've had haven't worked for me and some have had a negative effect.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:08 AM

Hi Biff,
I am so sorry they didn't work for you.Last week I saw my surgeon and asked that exact question and he told me a definite yes. He said the herniation at c4-5 was in his opinion causing the severe trapieus pain in my right shoulder. The pulling of the muscle was causing inflammation in the entire area. Hope you feel better.
Shermaine
Old 03-20-2005, 02:02 PM

That's the ticket! I'm sorry you're hurting but there must be reason for intractable tp's. A pain that the hand of the therapist or ones own hand can't "reach", that can't be remedied by manipulation, and that reqires a special, specific intervention, e.g. surgery, unhappily. This would explain alot!

Take care. I'm glad you DO get benefit from physical herapy!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:22 PM

Hi Folks:

Check these threads:

http://adrsupport.org/private-cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ub...&f=2&t=000094#000010

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/...703#post618703