ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 PM

Default what to expect from ADR

hi, my name is emily. i am 31, fairly new to this site and am somewhat overwhelmed by all the medical talk. i am scheduled to have artificial disc replacement for the cervical degeneration in order to stabilize my neck, then ultimately have lumbar ADR. i have DDD in L4-L5, L5-L6, C5-C6, C6-C7. i have horrible low back pain that radiates around to my pelvic and groin area, then down into my hips, thighs and buttocks. i also have possible interstitial cystitis. i say possible because i do not have typical IC symptoms. no frequency, no urgency, and a clear cystoscopy, but constant urethral burning. it is unbelievabley painful, like a constant urinary tract infection. i cannot get relief from any of the usual IC treatments e.g. elmiron, hydroxyzine, bladder installations. i have been told by some doctors that this urethral pain could be coming from nerves of the cervical spine where i have degeneration, but i can never get a difininate answer. overall, three major whammies-back issues, pelvic pain and IC.

ultimately why i'm posting is because i am somewhat in the dark about what to expect from cervical ADR. i live in atlanta and am going to san diego for surgery. i'm worried about how the flight back will be. if there is anyone out there who has had ADR and would be willing to share their experiences i would be most grateful.

thanks so much, emily
Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Hi Emily

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you have these issues going on and need multi-level disc replacements at ether end of your spine. I have been through both of these surgeries, lumbar in 2004 and cervical in Feb 2008. My cervical story which includes some photos of my progress is on the UK adrsite and may be helpful. Here's a link :
http://z6.invisionfree.com/adrsuppor...?showtopic=303

There are also many stories on this site to read too which will give you an idea of what to expect. The cervical surgeries are having great results it seems. The prospect of these surgeries is scary but going through then for me was no where near as bad as I had anticipated.

Wishing you every success and look orward to reading you post op stories.

Very kind regards

Lynda

Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Default much thanks

hi lynda, thank you for your reply. i wish you best of luck in your recovery, sounds like you've been through a lot. my sister actually lives in london. one of the main reasons i'm having surgery is so i can fly over for her wedding in may. since i have to have cervical and lumbar surgery i worry i will not have recovered in time. i missed her first wedding 6 years ago due to my illness, and since this will hopefully be her last one, i am bound and determined not to miss it. i know i should be more excited and positive, but i am terrified and cannot see the big picture. it doesn't help that i am horribly depressed. but thank you for your help,much luck..emily
Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM

Hi Emily:
It sounds like you are having some extensive spinal problems and that you have significant central stenosis and impingement of the cord in the cervical area. The question for your surgeon would be if he thinks he can fully or significantly decompress the nerves.

I had c5/6 ADR performed just about a year ago in LA. I stayed in LA 6 days post-surgery for my post-op appointment and then flew back to Arizona.
Two major differences from your situation: only one level and only a one-hour flight. I was wearing my soft collar and did not have any significant problems. My advice would be not to be embarrassed about lying down across several chairs in the terminals, if you need to.

Please feel free to ask questions as they arise!
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 AM

Emily,
I have not had surgery yet; but plan to in March. I have only one bad disc, which when the pain is not contolled by pain meds, it is in my low back, hips, butt and down my legs. I don't know what meds they have you on; but they increased my Cymbalta to 60 mg 2 X a day, Lyrica 150 mg 2 X a day and Kadian 20 mg 2 X a day. These have made my pain so much more manageable. I still take 4 Vicodin 10mg a day; but no longer have to be stuck to my couch on a heating pad constantly. Before this medication adjustment, I had a huge (size of a large heating pad) burn on my back from being on the heating pad all the time. It would blister and looked awful; but I was so desperate for any relief, that it was worth the burn for the back pain relief. I still use my heating pad, usually when I start hurting and take a vicodin I sit on it until the vicodin takes effect, in the morning I use it and at night. I would see a dr about pain management adjustments.

The medical talk can be confusing; but you will catch on. Also, if you don't understand something, just ask (we have all been there, I am constantly asking questions; that's what we are here for)

As far as the flight back from CA, there are a lot of people on here who had surgery in Germany and flew back after some recovery time there (not sure what the typical stay is, but sure someone can pipe in with that answer). So, I would think if you stayed in CA for a few days to a week or so, that it would be do-able.

Also, from what I have read, cervical is alot easier recovery than lumbar (seems like it would be the other way around to me). I believe this is because the lumbar is responsible for a lot more weight than the cervical.

Last, there was a guy on here who had a 2 level lumbar ADR (S1-L5 AND L5-L4) and a 2 level cervical ADR (C5-C6 AND C6-C7o, at the same time in Germany. His name is Terry and he would be a great resource for you, since you are facing an almost identical surgery. He just recently left the board; but if you follow this link to a previous post of his, you can search all his previous posts and find a ton of great information. He has been here for over 2 years and has almost 1,200 posts; so I am sure you can find more than enough information. You may also be able to send him a private message and see if he is still around to help you with any questions. Here is the link to a post of his, he is the first poster, just click his name and it will give you to find all posts and to send him a private message. If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask us, we are here to help http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9626

Best Wishes,
God Bless,
Kathy
Old 01-06-2009, 12:50 PM

I had my surgery 7 weeks ago today, the the tale of my recovery is here http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9524
best of luck, and you have my sympathies about the cystitis, i have recurrent UTI's and they make me incredibly miserable.
1993:MVA
1995:diagnosed with bulging disc C5/6
2000:disk herniated
2000-2004:multiple treatments including nerve root block, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, pt
2005-2008: pain meds and muscle relaxers only
ProDisc-C replacement on c5/c6 11/18/08
Old 01-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Emily and welcome to the ADR Support boards, I'm glad you found us but sorry you have the need.

It would be helpful if you were able to explain a bit more about your scheduled surgeries, so we can better answer your questions.

You said your surgery is going to be in San Diego, do you know what ADR device they will use?

I gather they are doing a 2 level ADR placement, is the surgery already scheduled?

It sounds like the plans are to do the lumbar repair before your May wedding trip to the UK as well?

Has your surgeon given you any indication how long you will need to stay in California before your able to fly back home ?

I haven't had an ADR but I have flow out of state for some other surgery and found that the airport's and personel are very helpful if you let them know you have medical needs. They provides priority transportation to and from the gates, luggage area etc and priority boarding for me. All I had to do is inform them that I was traveling post-op when I booked my flights. I also paid to upgrade my seat to first class on my trip home. A chunk of change for that ticket but well worth it for the increased comfort, if you can manage it. My flight was between Denver and LA...

Like everyone else has said, please ask any questions that come to mind. Many of us have walked down an uncertain path before and we'll be happy to help !!!
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 PM

Hello Emily,

If there is any way you can upgrade to 1st class on your return trip, I would certainly do that. (Do you have family or friends who would be willing to give you, or sell you, frequent flyer points for upgrades?) I think your doctor will tell you how long you have to stay post-op.

A small thing, which was very important to me, take your own bed pillow (and extra pillowcases). I was able to take it on the plane along with a carry-on. I sat in the window seat and used the pillow in the space between the seat and the window, it gave me more room to stretch out. Also was a comfort in the hotel and hospital.

If you are having both surgeries at the same time, it might be a little soon to fly to London in May. However if you can afford first class, it shouldn't be a problem. The seats lay back and are very comfortable. Good luck with this, hope you get to see your sister married! Just remember your health comes first.

Don't be frightened. The cervical surgery is easy, I've heard the lumbar is a little worse. They give you good meds for post-op pain. Being depressed is normal, but try to stay positive. It helps in the healing process. Can you go to SanDiego a few days prior to your surgery? That would allow you to adjust to the time change and maybe dip your toes in the Pacific.

This is a big step, best wishes, thoughts and prayers are with you. Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM

Default thanks for all the advice

the surgery i'm having is a C5-6 anterior discectomy and artificial disc replacement using Synthes Prodisc-C; C6-7 anterior cervical discectomy and fusion using allograft bone and synthes plate fixation. as for upgrading to first class, that would be wonderful but the difference is about $1000. it would be my mother and i. she's paying for it and i just can't ask her to do that. she's also paying for a nine day hotel stay. we booked the tickets as one aisle seat and one window seat and are crossing are fingers that no one would want to buy the one in between us. anymore help or advice is greatly appreciated. thanks, emily
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM

maybe you can get a gate upgrade cheaper. good luck on the surgery.
1993:MVA
1995:diagnosed with bulging disc C5/6
2000:disk herniated
2000-2004:multiple treatments including nerve root block, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, pt
2005-2008: pain meds and muscle relaxers only
ProDisc-C replacement on c5/c6 11/18/08