ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Banned

Saw my PM yesterday ~ he's across the hall from the doc I saw for consultation on Tues. I showed him the CT film and report and he agreed w/doing diagnostic facet injections re the mod facet arthropathy at L5...

Today I get a lumbar ESI, he said that would be good so that when I come back for the facet injections if I have some remaining pain and the injections knock it out, then you'll know that the facets are involved.

He said the pain is primarily when leaning back and feeling a slicing pain across the low back vs. pain with flexion being disky..

I have pain w/flexion all except when my back goes out, then I have that slicing low back pain and am unable to move in any plane without pretty severe pain...

However, I usually use extension to relieve some pain..

RE ESI before having discogram in future to r/o L3 probs. he said it's best that I'm getting the ESI now because with as much pain as I'm, I'd need to be loaded with more med to make me comfortable for procedure and then maybe results would be clouded...

I wonder what Dr.Young would think of the latter ..(I remember him saying he does his discograms w/o any medication for pain at all)..

Ok, so that's it... looks like I'll have all bases covered re diagnostics "if" WC approves with everything at this point~
Old 02-09-2006, 04:00 PM

Get all those ducks in a row! You'll be ready for your approval.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 02-10-2006, 12:58 AM

Maria,

I just had facet injections w/no sedation and not even local anastesia on one side. It was quite uncomfortable at times and it took a while to get both sides done (top and bottom). Even though it wasn't fun, it was not as bad as a sedated discogram. The trick to minimize the pain during facet injections according to my PM doc was the 24 gauge needle. It was more work for him to work with such a fine needle, but it hurt less and so he did that for me.

I survived a Dr. Yeung discogram with NO anastesia (I've also had one with anastesia). I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy. I experienced my 1st 10/10 on the pain scale on that operating room table. There was and is no need for that kind of torture, MINOR sedation would not have invalidated the test. I shudder to think back on that experience.

Dan
Charite @ L5-S1 8/2/05 with Dr. Regan
Struggling with facet joint pain.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:39 AM

Good luck w/the facet injections. Didn't quite get the flexion thing but this seems the only way to rule them out.

Wow. I see no theraputic value in zero pain meds. I was on sedation for my discogram and practically clawed the table in two.

Boys at the "old school" I guess..
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

With the last flare up I went thru...I couldn't have dragged myself out of bed to go anywhere but another bed.. certainly not to "recreate" pain that I already was feeling so terribly..

Without some sort of anesthetic is just not for me.. I would have been quaking and shaking so badly it would be like trying to shoot a moving target...