ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:57 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for beds? Planning to purchase and contemplating the Tempur-pedic because of their great return policy.

Missing Facet Joint L5-S1
Collapsed Disc L4-5
DDD L3-4
Severe Stenosis
Disco + 3 levels
Sched. Oct. 11 - 2 level ADR & fusion
Dr. John Regan - L.A.
Awaiting approval!
[URL=http://www.lauracedar.com/XrayGallery]www.lauracedar.com/XrayGallery[/U
Old 07-24-2005, 06:05 PM

Wow, dying to see everyone's posts on this one Laura. Me and my wife cannot sleep together because of my back troubles, her movements kill my back #1, #2, My BED kills my back! I second the motion, their return policy is a kick. (If we do it, it is a CALIFORNIA KING!)
Moderate to Severe, (L) 'They' say that I am @ the end of my road 'What's THAT Mean?? Who are THEY
Old 07-24-2005, 07:26 PM

Jefferson,

I have to sleep alone as well. I am constantly tossing and turning because I cannot remain in one position for long because of pain. I forgot to add that I have severe stenosis on left side and moderate on the other. Those beds that you can move the head up and down (like those at the hospital) could be good as well for recovery. California King a MUST!!!!

Collapsed Disc L4-5
DDD L3-4
Severe Stenosis
Disco + 3 levels
Dr. John Regan - L.A.
Awaiting approval!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:44 PM

Yup...did the Temperpedic thing too. A 90 day trial cost me about $150 for a queen. It didn't take that long though to figure out that the bed was not going to relieve any of my night time pain and sleepless nights. With a price tag of about $2200, it just wasn't worth it to me. Nice bed though...
*'05 Discogram shows concordant pain at L4-5
*8/18/05 scheduled ADR surgery participant in Kineflex/Charite study
Old 07-24-2005, 07:50 PM

Believe it or not I can only sleep on a full motion waterbed.

Laura
Old 07-24-2005, 09:55 PM

Interesting - I think that everyone is going to have a different need according to our problems.

Collapsed Disc L4-5
DDD L3-4
Severe Stenosis
Disco + 3 levels
Dr. John Regan - L.A.
Awaiting approval!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned

I had a Serta Perfect Sleeper for 16 years. It carried me thru 2 previous spine surgeries (is a pillowtop). I finally decided I needed a new bed because I kept feeling like I'd wake up feeling "beat up", tired with my back aching so much at night...

Ok, so tested beds and bought a 2005 Simmons Beauty Rest (Bagnell Visco Plush) firm mattress that has a motion preservation feature, meaning when the other person (or animal) gets on the bed, you don't feel it because vibrations are kept to a minimum if felt at all.

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to it being more plush than the other bed, and also to realize that my nighttime back aches are gone. It's still firm underneath the plushness.
I really feel I made the right choice as my neck and all over joints feel wonderful~ besides my back feels good!

The cost was just a tad more than my Serta Perfect Sleeper tho remember I bought that mattress 16 years ago, so I paid $1720 (with tax) for mattress and box springs at Mattress Discounters and the return policy is up to 60 days you can return the mattress and then you can pick any other bed that is of equal or greater cost should this one not work out.

**addendum.. I forgot to add that I can sleep the whole night thru on this bed which is amazing as I was getting up and turning over so much on my older mattress plus had to get up and walk around as my low back hurt so much thru the night..not now!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:15 PM

I have a temper-pedic bed. It is a great bed and the most comfortable I've ever slept on, but it still doesn't allow me to sleep through the night comfortably. I don't think ANY bed out there would though. Either way, I'd recommend it.

Dan
Charite @ L5-S1 8/2/05 with Dr. Regan
Struggling with facet joint pain.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:29 AM

I'm sleeping on a futon that has a double foam core and it's fairly comfotable but I am considering a Tempurpedic although I'm wondering if the foam directly against the body will be too hot during the summer months.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Banned

I too have a tempurpedic (check google for discounts)after a full motion water bed. I have never found anything as comfortable as the water bed... never... but it just became too difficult for my back. The tempurpedic is a distant second but is more comfortable than spring mattresses, doesn't disturb my husband, and is completely supportive. Personally, I found the 10" too soft and the 13" a waste of money. If memory serves, we bought the 8", CA king, for $1600... but regardless, everyone's comfort zone is different.

My brother bought a good visco elastic (tempur foam) topper and loves it. Again, check the internet and don't pay retail.
Dale