ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:48 AM

I currently have lumbar support in my car (Audi A4) and keep it at the highest setting and I can drive forever with it. I am currently looking to purchase a new car and the one I like happens to be a Honda CRV which does not come with lumbar supports no matter which model you purchase. I went on the internet yesterday and they have a lot of different ones.
Does anyone have a favorite that they use. The prices are all over the place and I wouldn't mind spending two - three hundred dollars if I knew it would feel the same as what is in my car today.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Judy
ADR L5/S1
Diagnosed with Arachnoiditis 11/06
Old 07-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Banned

Judy,
I really liked the Honda CRV and also the Toyota RAV in terms of size as well as a few other smaller vehicles plus some larger SUVs as well~
I test drove so many vehicles for seats alone but didn't find anything nearly as supportive and comfortable as the Mitsubishi Montero I bought with all the bells and whistles for controlling the seats~
In fact, I recently rented a car (Honda Civic) and my back was going out driving it so I turned it in and borrowed a friend's Montero for 2 days while I was away. Just the seat diff completely saved my back...
I guess it's possible to buy a lumbar support that functions well tho I have to have the overall seat support as well and bucket seats are killer for me...
Old 07-13-2005, 10:55 AM

Judy,
Last summer I traded my Toyota Solara for a RAV4 and I can't get over how much more comfortable the RAV4 seats are. The Solara had the lumbar support but was not nearly as comfortable as the RAV4 seats. Maybe it has to do with the different angle of the seats, in a sedan you're sitting more bucket style (which killed my back), whereas in the more SUV type cars you are truly sitting, like in a chair. I don't know if that makes sense.
Anyway, I drive 500 miles a week and I haven't had my back go out from the long drive at all in the RAV4 (knock on wood...).
Good luck - hope that is helpful.
Andrea

Failed L4-5 diskectomies '93 & '00
ADR originally scheduled 3/9/05; dropped insurance appeal due to new job; new insurance UHC
Old 07-13-2005, 10:57 AM

I recently purchased the ford freestyle, it does have a lumbar support, at least the limited does. I find the seats comfortable, but sitting has not really been a problem for me so you may want to take it for a spin yourself. I like the vehicle and I average 23 MPG in mixed driving which is pretty good for something of that size with AWD.

Feeling great!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:54 PM
imported_TDR

I have had lots of problems with car seats. I currently drive a Honda Pilot with leather seats and they are very, very comfortable. They have the lumbar support, but I think it is much more comfortable with it turned off. The thing I always look for is a car seat that is straight up and down and straight across. Any seat that has curves in it always gives me problems.

Good luck....I know how much of a problem this can be as I have had to trade cars before because of this same problem.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:13 PM

My husband works for Honda and he told me to tell you that the Acura MDX has lumbar support. I have sat in one and they are nice but they are kind of pricey.
Waiting for ADR, Not So Patiently!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:43 PM

I currently own a Honda Civic (5-speed) and can attest that the seats do tend to be uncomfortable at times. Of course it was much better before I was rear-ended. I was looking into buying a Honda CR-V (automatic) but after hearing about the no lumbar support thing, I may reconsider. :::sigh::: I really like them Honda's though.
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 07-15-2005, 01:06 PM

I just looked at the prices on the ford freestyle that I mentioned earlier. They are doing that employee discount thingy now too plus have a 500 dollar cashback on the freestyle right now so it is not that much more than the CRV and RAV4, I think the limited model with AWD can be got for around 28 and the base model can behad for under 23. I wish I would have waited, I could have saved about 1500 dollars. Oh well... Timing has never been my forte.

Feeling great!