ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:17 PM

Default Needing ADR soon, looking for options

Hello everybody,

My name is James and I'm a Visual Effects Supervisor and digital artist living in Redondo Beach, CA. I've been suffering from DDD at L4/L5 and L5/S1 since about 2000, and I had a microdiscectomy at L4/L5 in 2003 with Dr. John Regan (formerly at Cedars, now independent). At the time, the Charite was the main ADR option, and Dr. Regan advised me to wait and let the microdiscectomy buy me some time until the ADR options improved.

It was good advice. The surgery was a success in that it alleviated my leg/groin pain and much of the lumbar pain, as long as I stuck with a strict regimen of core strengthening exercises. I still had flare-ups when doing certain movements or lifting a lot (especially moving house and traveling) but I was able to return to most of my weightlifting routine and was in pretty good shape for many years.

Fast forward to 2014 and those flareups start to occur with greater frequency. I'm having more and more 'bad days' where I'm walking around like a pretzel due to smaller and smaller aggravations/lifts. For the first time, I'm having to rely on occasional opiate use on top of my usual methylprednisolone, Advil, and cyclobenzaprine cocktail for flareups.

The final straw seems to have been the birth of my baby boy. Ever since he arrived a few weeks ago, I'm doing so much bending and twisting that my back is now screwed up 100% of the time. I can see the writing on the wall; I'll soon need to get those bad disks replaced.

I recently consulted with Dr. Rasouli at the Cedars Spine Center, and sure enough, my L4/L5 and L5/S1 discs had squashed down considerably since my 2003 surgery. Rasouli recommended a 2-level ProDisc ADR, but only if I couldn't live with the pain. He seemed pretty honest about the odds of success. 'You're too young for fusion, and you have a 90% chance of a great outcome with the prodisc, but there's still a 10% chance you'll have a bad outcome and we'll have to fuse you' was the gist of his advice.

I've been following this forum for many years and reading up on the M6, which seems like the best option out there. From what I gather, no one in the U.S. is using it yet, so I'd have to go overseas to someone like Dare, Clavel, or Ritter-Lang. My main question for everyone here is this: I'm willing to go overseas for ADR if necessary, but I might be able to wait a few more years if there's any hope that the M6 will be available in the U.S. (either FDA-approved or used experimentally in the hands of a great U.S. surgeon).

Any advice will be much appreciated!

thanks!
James
2004-2014 moderate pain, occasional down time
2014-2015 going downhill, seeking ADR options
Old 10-21-2015, 03:06 PM

Has your surgeon said anything about the Active-L? I believe it was approved here in the states about 6 months ago.

I have suffered in the same area as you (L5/S1). Last year, I was approved for the pro-disc but didn't go through with it and went with a fusion. I was suffering so bad that I was passing out from the pain that I was getting in my legs (Charlie horses) and spasms in both feet. After reviewing my bone scan and discussing the symptoms, my surgeon and I both agreed that fusion was best. Thankfully, I was able to get two mobi-c's in my cervical.

Today, I am doing great and have full mobility in my cervical and lumbar. I wish you the best of luck as you try to find the best surgeon for you.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 10-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Default choices

I was in the similar position and had/have same levels. For me, there were two factors that influenced my decision going overseas:

1. My L5-S1 was getting close to autofusion, which would void the possibility of ADR, and I was not willing to wait for that in pain anymore.

2. Even if multiple M6-Ls were approved in the US in the next few years, I would not trust US surgeons enough to do it simply because they would lack experience, for a while at least, which would push the domestic deal even further into the future.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Jim,

There's a few hundred docs in the U.S. that have been performing ADR since 2000. Perhaps 50-100 of these have done multi-level ADRS. I just wanted to clarify what may have been confusing regarding the "US - Euro Surgeon Competition."
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Jim, any news or updates? Have you contacted any other higher volume spine clinics here in the states?

Here's a reminder topic, it's long:

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11140
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate