ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:08 PM

Hi friends,

My name is Julaine, I am 31 years old.
My pain started about 12 years ago.
I was a competitive gymnast for 10 plus years.
I put alot of strain on my back over the years.
My pain just started one day, extreme pain in lower back, brought me to the floor. Major back spasms, was sent to the ER. They found nothing. for 6 years went to drs, and was in emergency room over 20 times. COuldnt find a doctor that would do a thorough exam. Was always told that what I was experiencing was normal. a year and a half ago I found a GP that listened to me and did an MRI, sent me to PT which didnt work and a PM. The PM did a total of 7 injections since last year. He was trying to get me in to see a OSS. FOund a OSS and he said if i was 15 years or so older he would do surgery. So i crossed that one off my list, Pain Doc then put me on morphine vicodin, lexapro, fentanyl duragesic... and ended up a few more times in ER with dilauded percocet.. you name it...Finally got into see an awesome Dr. who on first visit said when are we doing surgery. You need a two level.
I wasnt surprised,,,, so here I am now, awaiting insurance approval, and hoping to do surgery within the next few weeks.
ahhhh.. so that is the short of it..

Julaine
Central Coast Calif
Old 05-16-2005, 07:10 PM

Forgot sumthin,,,,, In March I got sick of the medication it made me feel like hell, and I am not a med person,,, I hate meds.
So I went cold turkey off everything and had a WOH
week of Hell... and since march I am med free... with pain still, but I had alot of pain when I was on all the meds so I figured Why be doped up and in Pain...

Julaine
Old 05-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Julaine, I am glad you found us, welcome aboard...way to go kicking the habit!

Good luck with your insurance process. Collectively, I think you will find a very supportive community here!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-17-2005, 01:01 AM

Julaine,
I'm glad you've found a doctor who offers you more alternatives. Are you a cervie or a lumbie? What type of surgery is your doctor talking about diskectomy, ADR, fusion or other? Are you going to get a second opinion?

Jim
Old 05-17-2005, 01:37 AM

Julaine,

Welcome aboard you have found a great group of people that are right there with you.

Glad someone finally listened to you with the ability to do something to fix your life. ER�s suck!

Living in pain is real, pain meds are unreal...........

P
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 AM

Welcome! The bad part of your story is your unnecessary years of suffering at the hands of nincompoops. The good news is you may have sidestepped unnecessary fusion for ADR!

We all do really want to know your details. It's those details that make the difference sometimes, and help all of us to know what area you might need some help with (and what area you might be having success with that will help someone else). Details like who your doctor/surgeon is and where it is being done, what type of surgery/diagnosis, what insurance you're trying for and what plan you've got, etc..

Don't hesitate to ask any questions. There's a lot to learn about what's wrong with us and how to get it fixed, and no one person knows it all, but on this board you're not far from someone who can steer you in a good direction or offer a tip from personal experience.

Years of pain, discectomy, research into anatomy, hardware, clinical trials, facilities, surgeons, techniques, insurance. Attempts at ProDisc, Activ-L trials. Now, low bone density. D'oh!!!

At 61 years, no longer qualifying for trials due to my age (chronological, not physical or mental).

2009 - Working on improving bone density or getting rich so I can go to Germany, where medicine and insurance have gone beyond the Stone Age.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:19 PM

more to the story......
My Dr is James Carr, in Templeton. (San Luis Obispo County) I will be having a two level ADR,

I have a Blue Cross EPO... as far as plans... Hmmmmm I have none... LOL ... uhhh. plans,,, well I dont know, should I have plans???

Julaine
waiting two level ADR
No Meds.
12 years of pain...
supportive Hubby and three girls.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 AM

I was referring to what type of plan you have with your insurer. You answered that question (EPO).

Years of pain, discectomy, research into anatomy, hardware, clinical trials, facilities, surgeons, techniques, insurance. Attempts at ProDisc, Activ-L trials. Now, low bone density. D'oh!!!

At 61 years, no longer qualifying for trials due to my age (chronological, not physical or mental).

2009 - Working on improving bone density or getting rich so I can go to Germany, where medicine and insurance have gone beyond the Stone Age.