ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Administrator

UHC is a bummer, as you may see from previous topics. I would not minimize the experience of US docs trained in ADR...many have 5 - 6 years and have learned from the best, as well as from the "good" and "bad" cases from Europe and elsewhere.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-29-2005, 02:07 AM

I see that my post came back to the fore. Yesterday was 3 weeks out for me on a 2 level 360 fusion. I'm still bitter about UHC. FYI, a 2 level fusion is a brutal surgery. Recovery for this is a slow process. Dr. Blumenthal did the fusion. Great doc but the rest of the experience, hospital, some nurses, pain management was the pits. Had one nurse who apparently didn't realize that a cather has another end besides the one that is attached to the bag or she had some issues with men. I thought she was going to pull my bladder out. Oh and she was the one that removed the thing too. I was bleeding after she was done with me. Left the hospital with a prescription for the same level of pain drug I had been taking for the previous year before the surgery. Needless to say that was no help.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:30 PM

I have UHC and they have denied coverage for the ADR though they did pay for the fusion at the one level and the majority of the other expenses, just the actual discs and fee they did not pay. I am going to be working up an appeal shortly myself. I am not counting on it, but my employer has the final say on the appeal so you never know. I wouldn't mind seeing my 20K back in my account!

Feeling great!
Old 01-28-2006, 11:45 PM

Hi all, am new to this site, tho i am not new to UHC. They continually deny coverage for the Charite adr, tho my doc at TBI(Dr Guyer) seems to think that they may pay for one level, horay, i need two. Hopefully one day they will come to their senses. Are you all glad that you got the ADR procedure done??? Thanks yukon in Texas
Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 PM

Someone asked if "self-insured" matters? Yes, it does. Basically your employer holds a pool of money and has an insurance company like UHC to administer it. In the state of Texas, it means that the Department of Insurance has no authority over any complaints you might have. If your plan is self-insured, I would suggest that you get a copy of the Summary Plan Document from your employer. It is the agreement between employer and insurance company. Contact your employer for a copy. You may have to pay a fee for printing, but they cannot deny you access to it. It's not very interesting to read, but you may find some things that will help. A very nice man at DePuy suggested I do this. You may find you have some rights under ERISA. I am hoping it will be helpful to us.

Yukon, when did you see Dr. Guyer? When we talked to him in November, I think, he was not optimistic about UHC. Hopefully, you have seen him since then and things have changed.

I am Kristi's mom, and we haven't won the battle, but I would also encourage everyone to document, document, document. I mean keep a notebook or whatever works for you, and keep track of everything you do, and when you talk to someone from the insurance co. or dr. office, write down the date, the name of who you talked to, and what was said. If you don't catch the name, ask them for it. Your notes will really come in handy during your fight for insurance.

Good luck to all.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:07 AM

The way it was explained to me is that the company provides the pool of money and then it is put into a trust basically. The company can no longer touch it. So in my case I thought since it was the company's money they could tell UHC how to spend it. Not so. There may be other levels of self-insured but not in my case.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:06 AM

Paul my husbands company is also self insured and I was told that they do not over ride what the insurance company says and does. I thought the same that you could contact your company and let them make the decision.
I still had to fight and appeal my rejection just as if they were not self insured (I won by the way after 1 year of fighting) The best advice I can give anyone is document, and docment all your calls both before and after surgery. The main reason I won my case was the fact that this calls are monitored and writen in their computer systems as to who called, why and what the representative said. Fortunately for me the representative failed to tell me if the surgery was out of the country that they would not pay anything, also it was not in the benefit booklet supplied by the carrier. As a result they did change it. My advice is don't give up I truly believe that is what they want and think if they say no enough you will just go away.
Judy
ADR L5/S1
Diagnosed with Arachnoiditis 11/06
Old 02-19-2006, 08:45 PM

Hi to the mother of Kristi, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I just get bummed out with this back stuff. Anyway I did see Dr. Guyer in January of 06, mainly for another P Therapy prescript. I thought that since the fabulous insurance of UHC wont' cover this yet i will get more therapy and have them pay for something. Which it has helped just building up more muscle in the back. That sounds like a great idea document from the employer. Dr. Guyer said it just boils down to money, the insurance dosen't want to pay for anything that they don't have to. He says they may cover a single adr one day, but i need a double, so that again will present another problem with them. I am doing okay for now, I am not it alot of pain, just somtimes, I really would like to get this fixed for good tho. Hopefully one day they will cover it??? What do you think??? Thanks for the response. Yukon in Texas, how did you like Dr. Guyer???
Old 03-03-2006, 05:13 PM

I have UHC and went through 3 appeals already with a lawyer (denied each time) and am now filing a lawsuit. Ironically, I found out that someone with my exact same insuance plan through UHC was approved several months ago and UHC is claiming it was mistake. I had to pay for my ADR out of pocket but hope to get every penny back once I fight them in court. BEST of luck for ANYONE trying to get UHC to pay! I was told that they will pay in a couple years but I could not wait that long!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:28 PM

Well, I have Pacificare that was bought out or merged with or some such **&()(* with UHC. I am now working on my second appeal for the pre-auth with the help of my surgeon.

The whole thing has got me so fried - like we don't have enough to worry about with just plain living at this point!

I never can get a friggin straight answer with anyone I talk to at Pacificare. They send me to customer service who sends me to medical management who sends me back, etc. You get the pic.

The other thing that fries me is that the ADR is actually cheaper than the fusion. Let's figure for my surgeon it's an outpatient surgery - 23 hrs in facility and then home. For my fusion, I was in the hospital for 6 days. The hardware is a little more expensive for ADR vs fusion, but less complications.

OMG, when are they going to wake up? My surgeon is actually using this argument with them as I faxed over the hospital bills from my fusion which I'm sure is more now as it was a 3 years ago I think. Plus, the Charite' people are helping with figures and statistics on the surgery being pre-auth'd and ultimately covered in the past which has set a precidence.

I just pray that by the time the whole thing is done and I AM APPROVED, that it's not too late for the other discs. I can tell by the day that the others are becoming more problematic.

GRRRRRRRRRRR, how I hate my future being in the hands of some hot shot adjuster sitting behind the desk skiing on the weekends and doing whatever the heck he wants while I'm not sleeping or living even a half-way normal life.

Sorry - just a little rant.
PLIF L5/S1 - hdwr removed when C6/7 revision
PLIF L4/5 & Dynesys L3/4 10/10/06. Looking forward to living again.