ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:11 PM

I'm part of the 13% and SO GLAD I ignored all the surgeons and people who told me not to bother with the metal allergy blood test! I am highly reactive to nickel (which I already knew), reactive to molbdenum and mildly reactive to Chromium and Zirconium. Perhaps the surgeons in the U.S. just don't mind putting their patients through a corrective surgery. It's crazy to me that they don't test for it. Dr. Clavel was the only surgeon I spoke to that said he thought I should get tested.

Today, I met again with a really great orthopedic knee surgeon who takes metal allergies seriously. The great news is that he agreed that I am not allergic to titanium!!!

I sent all the findings off to Dr. Clavel today and am now waiting to hear back from Yolanda.

"Immune response to implants is commonly reported in the literature and can include hypersensitivity related to pacemakers, dental implants, and orthopedic hardware.[1] Furthermore, as many as 13% of people are sensitive to nickel, cobalt, or chromium.[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9] The development of metal sensitivity after implantation of orthopedic hardware is common.[1, 10, 11, 12]" http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1230696-overview

This information is from the manufacturers' websites.

"If you have any of the following, you should NOT have surgery with Mobi-C:
A known allergy to what Mobi-C is made of: cobalt, chromium, molybdenum, titanium, hydroxyapatite, polyethylene, and other trace elements.

"The ProDisc-C Total Disc Replacement should not be implanted in patients with the following conditions:
-Allergy or sensitivity to the implant materials (cobalt, chromium, molybdenum, polyethylene, titanium)"
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 05-04-2016, 01:53 AM

I'm sorry if I missed this, but why a knee surgeon? Is it because he is concerned with the allergies? I see an ortho who doesn't do any kind of implant or fusion in the spine, but he is the only one who told me not to get any more fusions and was an advocate for going overseas.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 05-04-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romakis View Post
Hello and Welcome,

There are some questions you can find on the web about Dr. Bierstedt as well, but Dr. Clavel seems to have a very solid reputation. I personally found many more negative references about Dr. Bertagnoli. I have personally narrowed my selection to two: Dr. Bierstedt and Dr. Clavel. This is my 5c only.
hi, I am new to this ADR forum. I do not think I have permission to start new threat to ask questions. Anyone tried to go though insurance to have surgery with dr Bierstedt in Germany ? I have Blue cross blue shields of Florida PPO plan, so might be hard to send a quote for multilevel ADR. If anyone have done this and may advice me how it works? I saw 2 surgeons here in Miami,. and sadly one of them offered C4-6 fusion ( i am only 36!) and another surgeon offered 2 level ADR, but he said I would need to pay out of pocket for second disk if insurance rejects this. Anyway, I have straightened spine, so not all disks might work for me. I would appreciate if someone can recommend good surgeon for multilevel ADR in Florida, perhaps. or USA. and also how does insurance process work? thank you so much. Indre
My summary:

Active Isolative stretching
currently Trying acupuncture
Muscolarsceletal massage, PT
Spondylotic spurs C5 through C7
C5-C6 Spinal cord compression (0.8 cm)
left Foot / left hand numbness/ right harm muscle weakness
Neck pain, lower back ache
Old 05-04-2016, 03:08 PM

Hi Indre, Welcome! You can start your own thread. Just go into the new members section and cut and paste your post there. The thread button is in brown and in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Insurance is all different. It's always a battle it seems. I've heard of a few people that have gotten their insurance to pay for surgery in Europe.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM

Talking Surgery in Europe is scheduled

Well, this thread is about to come to an end. I have surgery scheduled with Dr. Clavel for May 19th. I got my airline ticket and my hotel reservation for the third week I plan to be there. Yolanda will take care of the first two weeks. I have been working like crazy since I got her email at 5 a.m. yesterday morning to pull my trip together and still have so much to do. When I was a normal person, this type of thing was not a big deal for me but, now that I am in so much pain all the time, it's really hard to do just about anything. This entire year has really been difficult. I've had to lay in bed a lot and not move to keep the pain tolerable. (As my Mom said before she died "I feel like a slug." I am missing her so much right now and wish she was here to share the experience. Happy Mother's Day Mom!) I'll just keep plugging away at my list. I used to travel internationally so, at least I have experience with it. It's taken me a year to pull this surgery together with lots and lots of research plus, some bumps along the way. I was so relieved to get the green light from Dr. Clavel. Honestly, I can't wait to meet him! I sure hope I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have problems after surgery. Wish me luck .

@Scoop, I posted about the knee. Just go back a page or two if you want to read the long story. The short story is I have titanium screws in my knee from a surgery many years ago so, the first blood test that said I was allergic to titanium was crappy information. The second blood test from Orthopedic Analysis made much more sense because it matched the history of my reactions to metals. The Mobi-C ended up not being an option for me. That little diversion ended up costing me an extra couple thousand when you add up all the tests and doctor appointments plus, 10 months to get through it all. I'm pretty miffed at our healthcare system. At least that part is behind me.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:41 AM

Good luck and I'm so happy for you. If you need anything PM me and I will help you any way I can. Where are you staying?
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 AM

@Scoop, thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot to me!

I don't know where I'm staying the first leg of the trip. Yolanda will set that up for me this week and also take care of my transportation. I asked to stay at the Gallery Hotel but, with the last minute plans, I don't know where I'll ultimately end up. The hotels there are pretty booked up right now. I'm going to stay at the Hilton near the beach for the last leg of my trip. I used to travel to Mexico a lot before I had all my physical problems. Now, it's been over ten years since I've seen the ocean or been on a vacation. I'm really looking forward to it even if it is after surgery. The only sad part is that I don't have anyone traveling with me. Hopefully, I'll meet some nice people while I'm there.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:07 PM

Good luck with your surgery, Cynlite! Hope all goes well and as expected. Take it easy during recovery and enjoy your stay near the beach.
Dec 2013 - MRI showed moderate DDD @ L5/S1 - modic type 1 endplate changes - remaining disks well preserved
Jun 2014 - became patient at Caleo clinic
Jan 2015 - first consult with surgeon
May 3, 2016 - L5/S1 - M6 - ADR in Canada (Calgary, Alberta)
Old 05-08-2016, 10:59 PM

@Jonesie ~ Thank you so much for your well wishes! I really do appreciate it.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:33 PM

Good luck Cynlite and take it easy on yourself.......the body will adapt after and come around.....just give it time...