ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:54 PM

Default "Clicking" Mobi-C Disc at C6-7

Hello everyone, my name is Charlie. My Mobi-C disc started "clicking" when I move my head a certain way five weeks after surgery. Sometimes I'll have pain and I can move my neck to where it "pops" and I feel a release and the pain goes away. My recent x-rays look good with no disc migration but my neck is sore by the end of the day every day and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
My name is Charlie, I'm 46, and I started having neck pain around 2009. After years of conservative treatment the pain became extreme and inescapable Feb. of this year. I tried everyting and it just got worse. An MRI in June revealed a disc failure (bulge) with pressure on the thecal sac and severe right neural foraminal narrowing. I had bone on bone at C6-7 and the doctor recommended a fusion or ADR. The Mobi-C device was implanted on 8/10/15 and I was back to work on 8/14/15.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:26 PM

I have experienced the clicking noise especially the following weeks post op. As soon as you start PT and do some exercising and learn correct posture you will find this will go away.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 11-07-2015, 06:27 PM

I have a video of my neck making the "clicking" sound and I should add that it is pretty loud (loud enough for others to hear VERY clearly.) It does it all the time and my follow up appointment 10 weeks out raised no concern from my surgeon. He said that I could start exercising 11/13 with no restrictions. In the past two days my neck has started hurting on the opposite side of my past problems so that is somewhat troubling at this point.
My name is Charlie, I'm 46, and I started having neck pain around 2009. After years of conservative treatment the pain became extreme and inescapable Feb. of this year. I tried everyting and it just got worse. An MRI in June revealed a disc failure (bulge) with pressure on the thecal sac and severe right neural foraminal narrowing. I had bone on bone at C6-7 and the doctor recommended a fusion or ADR. The Mobi-C device was implanted on 8/10/15 and I was back to work on 8/14/15.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 AM

I don't mean to concern you but this sounds troubling to me. I would call my surgeon again and demand that he take x-rays to see if something has gone wrong. Please keep us updated. I'll be thinking of you.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Administrator

See your spine doc and get the right diagnostics...keep us posted.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-16-2015, 04:04 PM

Default "Clicking"

We took x-rays on 8/24, 9/16, and 10/30. My next follow-up is on 12/4/2015 and we'll take another full set of films. At the suggestion of the kind woman in Colorado I started PT last Friday (11/13) and walked a fair amount this weekend. My posture wasn't as it should be with my head being held up too high and my chin not in the correct position. My core neck muscles were very weak and I was given a couple of exercises to strengthen them. Today I'm pretty sore but the clicking isn't as loud these last couple of days. Thanks for all the good advice, I really appreciated it.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Getting Worse

Update: I spoke with my Surgeon's office on Wednesday (11/18) to update them on my condition. It was getting worse with extreme numbness in my left arm/hand and acute pain on the right radiating down my arm. It was like the disc was popping in and out of joint, I was sweating like crazy, and my vision was going in and out of focus. They told me to go to the ER, I asked if they really needed me to go there, and they said yes. After waiting in the ER for 3 hours my surgeon talked to the ER doc and told them to send me home. They ran no tests and it was a complete waste of time. I went to a different Ortho later that day and they took X-Rays and ordered blood work. My WBC count was high and my Absolute Lymphs were high. It appears that my body is reacting to something and the Artificial Disc is the only thing it could be. I have a follow up with the new Ortho on 11/30 and my surgeon on 12/4. If I had known that the artificial disc is basically an unknown to everyone in Richmond, VA (including my surgeon) I would have strongly considered a fusion. This weekend has been awful, the pain has me unable to perform even the most basic tasks. My X-Rays look fine but the disc is not "alligned"; the bottom and top plates are approximately 2-3 mm off-center when viewed straight on but are lined up from the side. If I push on my neck at C6 from the right while pushing on my neck at C7 from the left I can reduce my symptoms and stop the "clicking".
Old 11-24-2015, 03:09 PM

Sorry to hear of your pain. Can you upload an image here of your X Ray? Just curious how 'off center' it is. It may be tremendously helpful to many of our members here including yourself as you get some other responses.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:50 PM

Default Image Attached

Sitting here with ice on my neck and back/shoulder. From the side the disc is lined up but the front view shows it approximately 2mm off center. Thanks, Charlie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DISC IMAGE FRONT VIEW.pdf (173.5 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by cmdraft; 11-24-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Adding Ice
Old 11-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Question

Charlie,

It's quite possible that 2 mm is still within the acceptable limits, as defined by your own spinal kinematics (motion). So don't panic yet.

What may be more important is if the device endplates are seated and are "osteo-integrated." As well, that there is no inflammation and/or infection.

Did you get the radiologist report? This read is obviously critical...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate