ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:03 PM

I have been away from the forum for a while. I found myself obsessed with the search for answers to my insurance delima. (bcbs denied my adr surgery back in March and was having trouble with my doctor's office following up with the appeal process). With the help of others on this message board, I think I have finally found my way. I will share that with you now.

Texas Back Institute will be participating in the Spinal Motion/Kineflex clinical trial. The paperwork has been done and doctors have been assigned to this study. They are DR. Guyer, Dr. Sachs, Dr. Hochschuler, and Dr. Blumenthal.

This trail has been going on for a while, but TBI just finished the negotiations for their participation.

My contact in the research department at TBI instructed me to make a new patient appointment with Dr. Guyer for about 3 weeks away. I did and am on my way to see if I qualify for the study. The details of the procedure and who pays for what will not be discussed until the qualifications are met.

I know that nicole (from this forum) participated in this same study months ago in Seattle. Thanks Nicole for sending me in the right direction!

I will post more information after my appointment with TBI in November.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:21 PM

Hi Walker,
Stay in touch and share your experiences here with us -- - this is valuable information
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Walker....good luck!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-26-2005, 08:03 PM

Dear Walker,
Hopefully, you are closer to your journey to the other side. It will great to hear from you as you venture toward ADR. Best wishes for a successful visit.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 PM

Just wanted to say good luck to you and I know you are in good hands there!
Please keep us updated on your progress
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion
Old 11-23-2005, 10:45 PM

Well, I am back from my first appointment with Dr. Guyer at TBI. I have qualified to be in the Kineflex study and will be having surgery at TBI on December 8, 2005. They are only doing 60 (I think) trial cases. I will be the first or the second in Dr. Guyer's study. His first two cases are me and another person scheduled for the same day. I know that one of the requirements is you have to live within 300 miles of TBI (I live 290 miles away-I barely made it!) He is currently searching his current patient records to find the right candidates. I walked in as a new patient with all my test results from my fight with my insurance company (2 MRI's, 100 x-rays, Discogram films and report, and a bone density test) and was screened for the study that same day. He and his staff were very accomodating. After I was informed that I qualified: I was scheduled for surgery, pre-registered at the surgery site, fitted for a brace, given a physical exam, sent for all my pre-op lab work, and met with the nurse educator. ALL IN ONE DAY! I can't believe that what I have been fighting to get for almost a year is finally a reality. I would have never known about my options and how to "fight" for the right one without this website. I hope that if you have any questions about what I know so far, you guys will please ask. I intend to keep you all informed as I go along. Wish me luck and I will be ready to answer any questions.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:05 PM

Walker,
Congratulations for being accepted into the trial. Will they pay all of the expenses?

They are doing a trial in Los Angeles and I had an appt. with the doctor who is doing the trial. Because I have Medicare I don't know if Medicare will pay. They told me that I may have to pay $10,000 for the surgeon's fee, the anestheologist and something else. My concern is how many of these surgeries the surgeon has done.
Has Dr. Guyer had a lot of experience with this surgery?

I hope that you have a great outocome and am sending you my best wishes!

Is your last name Walker? My mother is a Walker from the Okla. City area and she is a geneology fanatic!
Old 11-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Walker, congrats on this milestone...glad the site has helped. Thx for sharing, pls keep us posted!

Good luck with all...you are in good hands.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-30-2005, 10:49 PM

Freshfig, Dr. Guyer is one in a group of doctors that played an active role in testing the Charite disc. The group together has done countless adr surgeries. Dr. Guyer has done hundreds and hundreds (his research dept told me). Apparantly, one doctor in the group will head a study, and all the doctors participate under his leadership. When the next study comes along, another in the group will head it and the others can participate.

What I was facing before I found my home here at this website was horrible. My sports science doctor was trying to get my insurance to approve adr. The denied it (bcbs). I would have been his FIRST patient for adr and I would have had to PAY him. In this study, if your insurance will not cover the cost of the surgery, the sponsor (Spinal Motion) will foot the bill for the surgery. The patient is responsibile for the paying for the followup visits. Insurance will help me with the pre-op and post-op visits, but is not paying for the surgery. I would be glad to answer any more questions you have.

Yes, Walker. Carter and Chickasha OK. Married into this name.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:52 PM

Thanks Harrison. I am getting a little nervous, but have fought for this for almost a year. I totally believe in these guys in Texas. You would not believe the kindness I was met with there. I will keep you posted. Thanks again, for everything.