ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:27 PM

I know it costs about $110,000.00, however I need specific Documentation, my insurence does not cover it, but I need the info. Does anyone in a Dr.'s office have this info, and I mean everything, Dr. costs, hospital, artificial disc, etc.? Thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 01:30 AM

Hi bionicback,

If you are having to pay out of your own pocket, have you considered going to Europe or Australia. You'd save yourself around $60,000.

Hucky
Treated for whiplash, PT, Accupuncture, Massage symptoms predominatly on left hand side. No relief.
Aug 04 C6/7 ruptures. MRI shows no deteriorat
Old 10-28-2006, 04:11 AM

i when to germany all said and done with airfair etc... 40k
chuck
ps if you go to germany you can get the best surgeons in the world.
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-28-2006, 01:41 PM

You are over estimating the cost if you are a canidate for 2 level. That may be what the hosipital will try to bill ins. but you could get it done for $60-75,000 cash here in the states. Tell your Dr. that you want to pay cash, and have him referer you to department that handles international or cash patients at the hospital you will be going to. Tell them to work you up the cash price for a 2 day stay. Let everyone know you are considering going to Germany to get this done for under $60,000. If you are comfortable with your Utah surgen's ability and ready to accept the out come then this will work. After the surgery you can then submit your itemized bills to your ins. co. for payment. They will pay. They have no legal reason not to. I can tell you more if you want to go this path.

Pat
Old 10-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Cost is one of many factors that should play into choosing the appropriate medical procedure to address your condition. Here’s my rationale for this thinking.

Some patients are initially “sold” on the idea of getting ADR, e.g. at Stenum, by marketing which touts their “low cost” and “speedy” procedures. And as we’ve seen here, some Stenum patients have had severe and debilitating complications. That being said, one can travel to India or Thailand (some hospitals are advertised on this web site via Google Ads) and have a one level ADR for $5,000 to 10,000. One doctor-patient on this board went to Thailand for a one-level ADR and seems to be doing well (at app. eight months).

The extreme price range in this new global world of medical tourism is $5,000 to $100,000. But here are the average costs in the northeast U.S. for a one-level procedure:

Artificial disc - $11,500 (Charite’)
Surgical & professional services - $15,000
Hospital services - $8,000
Total - $34,500

These are just ballpark averages. Remember, because of the nightmares of hospital billing and differences among institutions, determining accurate average ADR costs is difficult. Next year, I’ll have some good numbers to share.

My 2 cents on the rest:

1. Find a doctor you like & trust that specializes in spines;
2. Through this professional, obtain an understanding of your diagnosis, with his/her best treatment advice;
3. Get educated on these recommended options, and make sure you understand the qualification AND disqualification criteria for this (or these) options;
4. Have reasonable and educated expectations about the likelihood and possibility of your pain reduction resulting from the treatment;
5. Choose the most appropriate option for the long-term.

Please tell us a bit more about your quest, e.g., where you are in terms of your diagnosis & treatment. Pls include a signature too.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-30-2006, 07:07 AM

My $.02, for what it is worth:

For approximately 2 years, I waited and tried to schedule 2-level ADR here in the U.S, with no success.

In two weeks, I will be in Germany with Dr. Bertagnoli and his staff.

All said and done, I imagine that my total costs will be just shy of $40k (cost of the surgery is just under 28k Euro).

David
Old 10-31-2006, 05:11 PM

Why is it so difficult for insurance in this country to cover ADR procedures. Hell, there are two ADR disc approved by the FDA already. There are to many patients out there suffering and trying there best to stay clear of Fusion surgerys so they can have a choice. Something has got to give within our health system here!!. jf110
Old 11-06-2006, 08:09 PM

Bionicback,
Call TBI and ask for Dr. Ziglers office and request information for paying out of pocket for ADR. They are doing up to three levels. Im not sure on the total cost, but im guessing in the 30's.JF110
Old 12-14-2006, 10:47 PM

jf110,
Did I read your post correctly? Three level ADR for ~30? Is that $30,000 USD? Please tell me I misunderstood that?-b.
Still experience chronic lumber pain but complete numbness on right side is gone t
Old 12-15-2006, 12:54 AM

It would be a similar cost here in Australia - it might be worth your while making some enquiries.

Hucky
Treated for whiplash, PT, Accupuncture, Massage symptoms predominatly on left hand side. No relief.
Aug 04 C6/7 ruptures. MRI shows no deteriorat