ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:22 PM

Smile Ready Set Go - Booked with Clavel - Surgery March 15th

I completed my wire transfer to Dr. Clavel at Barcelona Spine Center today. I am feeling very blessed to have the ability and means to make this decision. Thank you to all the members on this forum that reached out to me personally and spent hours talking to me. My husband and I leave next Sunday, March 12th from Florida and arrive on March 13th in Barcelona at 9:00 am. We are staying at the AKO suites throughout the trip, other than during the 5 day hospital stay. I will be receiving the M6L at the L5/S1 level. I went back and forth between the activL and M6L and my final selling point was the disc life. The M6L has been extensively tested and has a lifespan of 80 years vs. the activL's lifespan of 30 years.

My pain management doctor is the states is willing to take on all of my post operative care and required testing/X-Rays. I work as a guidance counselor and have taken the remainder of the school year off. That way, I will also have the summer for recovery.

Several positives regarding the process of choosing Dr. Clavel:

Yolanda was wonderful at quickly having all of my medical records and Imaging reviewed. I have also had new imaging done in the meantime that Dr. Clavel reviewed. I initially had them do a quote just for the surgery. However, I recently had Yolanda add the hotel and transportation (airport and hospital) onto the quote, as this was stressing me out. Everyone I have spoken to holds Dr. Clavel in high regards and have had great experiences with him.

However, having Yolanda complete all of my required paperwork and letters for work has been a long process. She finally sent a letter today (after I completed the wire transfer) that stated I would be out through the end of the 2016-2017 school year. I am still waiting on my FMLA paperwork, which she has been promising for weeks. I am supposed to receive my final itinerary next week, so hopefully it is early in the week, as I am a planner.

Does anyone have any good restaurant recommendations/tourist recommendations?

Also, I would love to hear others recovery process that have received an M6L. Thank you so much for everyone's support and prayers!
1/16/2017 - Cervical Radiofrequency Lesioning
3/15/2017 - Dr. Pablo Clavel: Cervical Disc Revision C5/C6 (M6-C) and Lumbar Disc Replacement (M6-L)
Old 03-05-2017, 04:00 PM

Hi, I just arrived in Barcelona for my surgery with dr Clavel tomorrow. In my case is a cervical c6 c7. If you have any questions feel Free to ask. Good luck for us!
Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM

Good luck to both of you. Clavel is one of the best in the world and we are lucky that he was willing to take our cases. In my case, no US doc would do ADR on me. Treat his staff and the staff at AKO with respect and they will bend over backwards for you. For food, at least from AKO, each day just walk 2-3 blocks in a different direction. Local places are great, some small supermarkets also. But they eat late, and portions are small even for a 150lb guy like me!
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona
Old 03-10-2017, 12:35 AM

So glad you are finally on your way!

I'll be thinking about you while you are there. Send me a text message if you can when you feel well enough. I'm so excited for you. Tell Dr. Clavel and Yolanda hello for me.

Don't forget to see MNAC in the morning so you will get to see all the beautiful fountains running. I think they turn them off about 1 p.m. The restaurant at the top of the museum is spectacular. I'm not sure if there is an elevator at the bottom of the stairs to get to the entrance. I walked up the stairs and it was exhausting, but I made it!

I took a bus to the Olympic Village. It is really beautiful up there because it overlooks the city. In hindsight, I think I would have just taken a cab because I got sunburned on the bus. Bring a hat or wear sunscreen if you do a bus tour!!!

I just know you are going to be fabulous. Looking forward to what he says about your neck! Talk soon.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 03-10-2017, 11:26 AM

Default 5 years post

Very best wishes! I'm 5.5 years post from my ADR surgery with Dr Boeree in England (God bless him and may he rest in peace).
Just wanted to say it's worth it and to remember this on the few days that you may have days when you wonder if you made the right decision. I'm 100% convinced I did the right thing by being brave and bucking the norm.
Just got back from hiking like a 20 year old in Hawaii and I'm 50. My spine is spectacular in all situations and my quality of life is a million times better. I am active and my world does not revolve around pain any longer.

WISHING YOU MUCH SUCCESS
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 AM

Default We Made It!

We made it into Spain this morning - they are 5 hours ahead of Florida time. A couple of things I have learned already. If Yolanda sets up the taxi for you - do NOT exit the airport. My husband and I were lost for an hour. The taxi drivers that are pre-set up hold your name on a big sign in the airport right before you go down where it says "Taxi's."
AKO suites is a very nice hotel, however they have no hair conditioner or body soap - so you will need to purchase at a supermarket, along with bottled water. We decided to go exploring today. Restaurants do not open until 12:30 for lunch. Also, I swear the locals purposely get you lost! LOL. We spent 2 hours walking in circles trying to find the hotel. Check-in at AKO suites is at 3:00. They will hold your bags in a secure area, if you want to go exploring. We even saw a few wild parrots flying around! Very cool city - everyone has warned us to watch out for pick-pockets. They are masters in Barcelona. It is best to buy a good old fanny pack to hide under your shirt that has the card protection built in. I got mine off of Amazon for like $18.
One more thing - there are no irons or ironing boards in the rooms and no washcloths. You can ask for an iron and board at the front desk and they will bring one to you. Tomorrow I meet with Dr. Clavel and the anesthesiologist for the first time. The taxi will pick us up right at AKO suites, which was set up by Yolanda.
3/15/2017 - Dr. Pablo Clavel: Cervical Disc Revision C5/C6 (M6-C) and Lumbar Disc Replacement (M6-L)
Old 03-14-2017, 04:42 AM

Good luck with your surgery. I think Clavel is a great doctor and nice person (he is impressive calm). They took good care of me and I am sure they will take good care of you! Best regard
Old 03-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Default Met Dr. Clavel 3/14/17 and added another Surgery

First of all - Dr. Clavel is absolutely amazing! He spent an entire hour with us, and so did the anesthesiologist.

Last edited by Nestletea; 03-18-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 PM

Best of luck. Clavel really inspires confidence, doesn't he? Other than the fact that he really likes the m6, did he give a reason not to go with Mobi again? By the way, AKO should be able to provide all that stuff you mentioned, just ask (or visit the maid's cart that is always parked in the stairwell on the top floor- she will give you whatever you want).
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona
Old 03-15-2017, 01:15 AM

Default Good Luck Nestletea!

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! I will be sending positive thoughts your way!

I will be there on Monday the 20th for M6-Ls at L4/5 and L5/S1 with Dr. Clavel.

I hope to meet you with your new pain free neck.

Confused66 or Judy
2-17-16 MRI; more loss of disc height at L4-L5 & L5-S1& degen endplate changes, broad post. osteophyte
L5-S1 & mild facet degen L4-L5
5-01-13/9-24-13/4-24-14: SNRB L5-S1 & S1-S2 right
6-13-16 & 7-21-16; medial branch block L3-L5
8-27-16 & 9-24-16: RFA L3-L5; RFA L3-L5 - failed