ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 AM

Default Tramadol

I stayed on tramadol for almost a year. It helps even after a prolonged usage. It is also very easy to get off of.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:48 AM

FutureRobot,

From what I researched and from my Ortho surgeon, they would not do any form of discectomy due to the tear and the annulus pulposus leakage. It has an almost 90% change of re-herniation. I do have nerve compression causing leg and back pain 24 hours a day.

Maybe it's time to get a 3rd opinion on more conservative forms of therapy.

Thanks,
Jim
ADR insurance appeal won in 2013, delayed surgery
2016 pain is now affecting quality of life. Contemplating ADR surgery again.

2016 delayed surgery again due to successful pain management with meds.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:03 AM

Default Strong Opinions

Thank you all for providing several views on my situation and your own personal experiences. I spent my whole life never taking anything stronger than Alleve or Omeprazole (acid reflux)

I have researched a lot about Tramadol. For 2 months I have monitored my liver enzymes, documented my behavior (cloudy, bad judgement, forgetful, etc), and I have not noticed any adverse affects.

I have never tried illegal or recreational drugs, I stopped 99% of my alcohol consumption when placed on Tramadol. I have always viewed my body as a temple. At 40 years old I was in the best shape of my life. The back pain was present but not controlling.

I'd rather hold off and deal with the consequences of Tramadol side-affects and be "mostly" pain free, then the multitude of issues that result after ADR surgery, especially in the lumbar area. Not to mention, the low percentage of patients who return to a normal life after single level. That is a controversial statement based on all the different studies and what one determines normal. I'll take a 75-80% quality of life now, rather than gamble on something a little higher post surgery.

Surgery is not an "if"... I know it has become a "when" for me. Maybe I can hold off until the next decade with 3-D printed customized prosthesis can be bought at Walgreens

Thank you for all your well documented views and thank you for sharing.

Jim
ADR insurance appeal won in 2013, delayed surgery
2016 pain is now affecting quality of life. Contemplating ADR surgery again.

2016 delayed surgery again due to successful pain management with meds.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:30 PM

I had surgery with Dr. Clavel less than two weeks ago. Just a note for you for later, he has an excellent track record compared to the surgeries I've read about in the U.S. and in my opinion is the best Europe has to offer. I spent four months reading the post surgery forum here and spreading the data. I agree that surgery is what you do as a last resort so, if you can manage your symptoms with specific lumbar exercises and the drugs then that's a great plan. Lumbar surgery is much more difficult to recover from than cervical which is why I took a pass on it while I'm here. I have some issues with L3/L4 but, also know that the cervical and lumbar spine are interrelated mechanically speaking. I've already noticed an improvement in my back and legs since the surgery and hope to put off a lumbar surgery as long as I can. In my case, my facets are shot so fusion is all that was offered at this time for my lumbar spine and that would compromise the adjacent levels. A fusion just didn't seem like the prudent thing to do for me at this time either. I believe that the body will do its best to compensate and is a remarkable healing machine. Keep an eye on your facet joints because if they go, then getting an ADR kind of goes out the window unless you are successful at restoring them through stem cell injections. Still as you mentioned, technology and medicine move on and we don't know what the next year will have to offer.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 PM

Yeah, it scares the **** out of me. But I can't deal with the pain without it. Viscious circle.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelyankee View Post
I'd rather hold off and deal with the consequences of Tramadol side-affects and be "mostly" pain free, then the multitude of issues that result after ADR surgery, especially in the lumbar area. Not to mention, the low percentage of patients who return to a normal life after single level. That is a controversial statement based on all the different studies and what one determines normal. I'll take a 75-80% quality of life now, rather than gamble on something a little higher post surgery.

Surgery is not an "if"... I know it has become a "when" for me. Maybe I can hold off until the next decade with 3-D printed customized prosthesis can be bought at Walgreens

Thank you for all your well documented views and thank you for sharing.

Jim
Jim, it is your call. Don't forget that pain medicine is just masking the issue. Also, your nerves can get permanent damage after a while. I lived with left leg sciatica for 2 years, and although now I am a year past my surgery, the slight leg pain is still there, although there is nothing to cause it anymore. It is most likely a permanent damage - I waited too long.