ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:08 AM

Default Spain / Germany

Cheryl0331

Hello Cheryl thanks for the reply, sounds like everything went great with Dr. Schmitz ! Probably a dumb question but in regards to being denied entry to Spain , did you actually make the flight there before you were denied only fly home then turn around and come back to Germany ? If so WOW , what a hassel and expence. Take care !
Old 10-16-2020, 08:44 AM

Default Gosh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverc View Post
Cheryl0331

Hello Cheryl thanks for the reply, sounds like everything went great with Dr. Schmitz ! Probably a dumb question but in regards to being denied entry to Spain , did you actually make the flight there before you were denied only fly home then turn around and come back to Germany ? If so WOW , what a hassel and expence. Take care !
Spanish border police made it very clear if you flew there; you could be held in detention until you could get a return flight back to the US on the same airline!
I could not afford to loose the airfare or time.
Their government told me out right; entry denied!
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 10-16-2020, 11:42 AM

Default Do not go with....

Do not go with the premise that it's better to ask forgiveness than permission either!
You do not want to be in detention around a bunch of people and be dealing with your spine issues.
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain

Last edited by Cheryl0331; 10-16-2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Ttpo
Old 10-28-2020, 05:45 PM

Default Limitations of a Teleconsult

Hi folks,

I just recieved the response below for Dr. Berhard Meyer, who is well regarded by the German medical establishment. Notice that he suggests that a tele-consult is not viable (for him anyway) and goes against German rules. That seems at odds with other clinics and info?

Also, this is the first I've heard that 2-level lumbar ADR is no longer a common prescription? Any thoughts? Looking for some clarity.
__________________________________________________ __________

"1. in case of a degenerative spine problem a remote diagnosis and coupling is not possible and not recommended by the guidelines in my country
2. in principle i do perform 2 level TDR but as a very very rare indication nowadays (opposed to 10 years ago)
3. yes we do treat many foreign patients; however due to local travel restrictions some problems may occur

best wishes

BM

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Bernhard Meyer"

Multi-level (ML) lumbar spondylo - Grade I
ML lumbar DDD: S1/L5 auto-fused, L4/5, L3/4
ML lumbar facet hypertrophy & arthritis
ML spinal ligament hypertrophy
ML lumbar stenosis, both stem and main nerves
Other medical words that I can't pronounce or spell (Baastrups??)
Pain, lots of pain and then some more for good measure!
Old 10-29-2020, 12:18 PM

I can't say but Laura and I've found many US doctors of various types who hide behind guidelines and "rules" to avoid tasks they do not wish to do. The telediagnosis you're seeking isn't 100% possible but it would be possible for a surgeon to write something like "Presentation of symptoms and imaging indicate that an in-person evaluation is necessary in an expeditious fashion in case further intervention is necessary to address condition before symptoms intensify."

Offering something like that to get you to their clinic might be something they'd buy into. On the other hand, COVID lockdowns have intensified in Germany in the past few days so it's unlikely you'd have an easy time getting in regardless of what was written by a surgeon
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-29-2020, 01:58 PM

Default More common now

Because of the pandemic, many doctors around the world have been doing telamedicine. My PCP and my GYN both for example.
If one had to fly all the way to other counties to be evaluates first; this would be an expensive process. Okay, so this doctor is a German doctor.
Well, I would reach out to others; because it's being done all over Europe.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:58 PM

I will add my two cents for whatever it is worth. It looks like Dr Meyer is a well regarded nuero in Munich who teaches at the Uni Med Ctr. Many, if not most, of the European docs we see on this forum may have much more control or influence on the institutions where they do surgery. The German docs also seem to be from Northern Germany. Even some are in private hospitals. That may be a difference that causes Dr Meyer to raise hurdles. Or simply, like AP says, he doesn't really want to get involved.
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona
Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 AM

Default Invoice

HI Cheryl

A quick question. Did the clinic supply a detailed quote prior to surgery so you knew what to expect and detailed invoice after surgery?

Thankyou
Old 09-17-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl0331 View Post
Thank God Spain denied me entry.
Through another member here; I found Dr. Schmitz at Clinic Bel Etage in Dusseldorf Germany.

His skill and experience with revision is amazing! My HO had attached itself to my dura. I had revision surgery on Sept 21st. I had a spinal fluid leak that would not stop on it's own, so on the 25th he had to go back in a seal it
Dr. Schmitz has a special mesh and gel that he uses. He also has an ultrasonic bone scalpel that minimizes milling. He has been interviewed by Jamie Litrun on TDR/ADR Support Group on Facebook. You can find the interview on You Tube. He also is partner in the clinic. It's a private hospital too. He was 5000 euros more than Clavel, but worth every penny.

I received the best care here. I pray you contact tehm!

Their International Patient Coordinator sent me a Letter of Certificate that I carried with me. I also did a Health Declaration Card from the German Border Police website. I took a covid test least than 48 hours prior to departure
Hi Cheryl! I've been following your posts recently and I'm happy to hear you found Dr. Schmitz and got the right procedures done. I was wondering if you could share your knowledge and opinion on my situation.
I had 3 level c4- c7 M6 done in 2016 with Dr Bierstedt. perfect results. great execution, alignment, even the post op care was superb. last month the c4/5 level M6 device core seems from the xray to be failing.
I would like to do the revision with the same Dr., bu ss everyone here has experienced its very trying to communicate with Dr Bierstedt bc there's only one contact point and it can take forever to hear back if at all. I was told in a brief email I need a replacement device or possible cage.
I've been trying to reach the Dr to further discuss all the options but again communication channels are impossible.
So Im considering Dr Schmitz instead.
Is there any advice or knowledge you can share with me about Dr. Schmitz from personal experience?

Also how is his accessibility before and after the procedures when you have questions or concerns?
Thank You
Old 09-20-2021, 05:55 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham246 View Post
HI Cheryl

A quick question. Did the clinic supply a detailed quote prior to surgery so you knew what to expect and detailed invoice after surgery?

Thankyou
The gave me a quote for a one level adr revision that included the hospital stay, meds, and food for patient. Quote was in Euros.