ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Default DDD and Celiac Disease

I just briefly googled to see if there were a correlation between celiac disease and DDD.

Turns out there very well might be. There are forums all over the place with people asking "Is there a correlation?" with a bazillion people wondering the same thing because THEY have herniated discs and have had them since they were a teenager.

That in and unto itself is too strong to ignore.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM

If you think about it, there's pretty much a correlation with long-term inflammation and almost any chronic health condition. In that sense, unaddressed celiac is probably a universally BAD THING and I would suspect that there's a least a weakly causative link to be found for any whole-body health condition you choose. In a similar fashion, all of the information that Rich has posted about the health benefits of a good diet clearly implies a health deficit from a poor diet. Turns out the old adage "you are what you eat" meant more than we thought it did.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jim and Bebe...

I met folks from the Hippocrates Health Institute (let food be your medicine) last week when I presented at the Annie Appleseed conference. This place is really whole body medicine.

Here's a an except from a 1996 article from them:

"...Today people want to go beyond health, to find happiness. If you are ill, you should be on a 100% raw food diet, for 1.5+ years. Approx. 97% of people who go on the Hippocrates diet get well within 1.5 years, 3% need longer. Hippocrates has blood profiles done, at beginning and end of their stay at Hippocrates, for all visitors. They are building a data base for study.

If you are well, you can eat 75% by weight raw foods, mostly greens a...."

Living and Raw Foods: Brian Clement Lecture notes

I actually disagree with some of the points the author makes, but I like that he accentuates enzymes -- a crucial point many people miss. Only live food brings that energy we need to live and heal. but this is a '96 article....way ahead of the pack.

Can you imagine how much daily discipline this takes? I've been trying and evolving for a few years now and I know it's hard work! But it's better than having diseases! It's all good.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Thanks Jim and Bebe...

I met folks from the Hippocrates Health Institute (let food be your medicine) last week when I presented at the Annie Appleseed conference. This place is really whole body medicine.

Here's a an except from a 1996 article from them:

"...Today people want to go beyond health, to find happiness. If you are ill, you should be on a 100% raw food diet, for 1.5+ years. Approx. 97% of people who go on the Hippocrates diet get well within 1.5 years, 3% need longer. Hippocrates has blood profiles done, at beginning and end of their stay at Hippocrates, for all visitors. They are building a data base for study.

If you are well, you can eat 75% by weight raw foods, mostly greens a...."

Living and Raw Foods: Brian Clement Lecture notes

Can you imagine how much discipline this takes? I've been trying and evolving for a few years now, it's hard work! But it's better than having diseases!
I find it doesn't take as much discipline as one might think. PLANNING? Yes. Foresight? Yes. But discipline? If you only have those good foods in your house, and cook (or prepare raw) all the time, it is easy.

Of course, my son, who thought he was "helping" very sweetly make me a gluten free pizza and some GF french bread and cheese for lunch today after I fell asleep on the couch. I ate it, because, how sweet! But I feel like crap after.

FYI, not everyone does well on a 100% raw diet. I have tried it a number of times and every single time I have gotten sick, and gained weight! I add in a little grass-fed beef, and BLAMMO! Energy, and the weight drops off.

Further FYI, if you want o flush out your system, drink three glasses of water every day before anything else passes through your lips. It works wonders!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna View Post
If you think about it, there's pretty much a correlation with long-term inflammation and almost any chronic health condition. In that sense, unaddressed celiac is probably a universally BAD THING and I would suspect that there's a least a weakly causative link to be found for any whole-body health condition you choose. In a similar fashion, all of the information that Rich has posted about the health benefits of a good diet clearly implies a health deficit from a poor diet. Turns out the old adage "you are what you eat" meant more than we thought it did.
To true. You are what you eat. Literally.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
FYI, not everyone does well on a 100% raw diet. I have tried it a number of times and every single time I have gotten sick, and gained weight! I add in a little grass-fed beef, and BLAMMO! Energy, and the weight drops off.
I've posted before about Caring Medical and Dr. Hauser's approach to diets. The big thing he brings to the table, pun intended, is the idea and the testing needed to individually tailor a diet to try to level out a person's blood sugar and avoid the peaks and valleys throughout the day. Even if you don't want to travel to Chicago and get his work-up done for yourself, reading through his website is a great way to make you think about how you eat and how you feel after you eat.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog