ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 PM

Default Conversation with bierstedt

Had an hour long talk with dr bierstedt today! Says he's performed over 3000 anterior replacements with various discs and close to 600 m6s. I was very impressed with his assessment. I asked him if he ever had an m6 that failed and he said not personally but heard at a conference that one failed and was reported to SK. He said its all about being the right candidate and some discs have better keels than others. He told me he has 95% success rate and I will be cleared for full activity with no limitations. I guess the ball is in my court now!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM

Wow! That is great news!

BTW, Clavel also said he, personally, has not had a single failed M6. So that seems to be even more data on how amazing the M6 is!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM

Default Adr

Yup!! Still waiting on clavel unreal I find it interesting that bierstedt says I only need one level when clavel said I had annular tears at 3 levels????
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Yeah, but then, Dr. Clavel wants to do all six of mine instead of the "wait and see" that a lot of other docs want to do about some of the levels. Another thing to consider is how many times you can afford to go overseas. If you can afford to do it multiple times, then wait and see is just fine. One of the main reasons I wanted to do all six at once is that we can afford this ONCE. I cannot wait and see. If I did that, I would not be able to have it done later. Especially now that it seems we will not get that much money back from Uncle Sam and we may even be going into debt for this.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 PM

Default Adr

Yes your so right!! He said my discs above L5 look good no loss of height and thinks they will be less stressed with new disc below?? Idk my head is starting to spin
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
Yes your so right!! He said my discs above L5 look good no loss of height and thinks they will be less stressed with new disc below?? Idk my head is starting to spin
I'm with you brother! I just found out the tax thing works differently than I thought. I thought we were getting it all back. Nope. We get back whatever the government withheld, which is only a fraction of the total cost. I think I am going to puke.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 PM

Boxer78, I'll be watching to see what you decide. I am hoping that you can get everything sorted ASAP!

Lillyth, gentle hugs for you. I am not an accountant, so I don't fully understand the whole tax thing. I am so sorry to see you so upset by this whole thing. Thinking positive thoughts for you, right now!!

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 PM

Thank you. It's a LOT of money to pay out of pocket and not get back from anywhere. Maybe I can submit to my insurance company? I doubt if they will pay though. Not for six freaking levels when they won't approve two.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 PM

Default Adr

Thxxx newleaseonlife!!!! So ur saying just the tax you pay? In this country or tax on surgery in Spain?? This sucks!! Drop 80k and get jack sh** back blaaaaaahhh
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 PM

Default Dr Bierstedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
Had an hour long talk with dr bierstedt today! Says he's performed over 3000 anterior replacements with various discs and close to 600 m6s. I was very impressed with his assessment. I asked him if he ever had an m6 that failed and he said not personally but heard at a conference that one failed and was reported to SK. He said its all about being the right candidate and some discs have better keels than others. He told me he has 95% success rate and I will be cleared for full activity with no limitations. I guess the ball is in my court now!
Boxer, wow! I had submitted my MRI to Dr Bierstedt but I only spoke to Malte Petersen, and he did not suggest that I speak to Dr Bierstedt. Was there a charge for the consultation? I had trouble finding much information about Dr Bierstedt on the internet. What is your overall impression? Best regards, Mike
April 2011: 2 level laminotomy; L4/L4 & L5/S1
More PT, pain meds and injections.
...and 2014, still researching ADR.
February 2014: endoscopic foraminotomy, Dr Bitan

Last edited by MikeC; 03-05-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spelling errors