ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:37 AM

Greetings All!

I visited the BackPainSupportGroup and BrainTalk forums over a year ago after having ruptured my L5-S1 disc 18 months ago (subsequently undergoing the ubiquitous discectomy which promptly failed within seven months). I have been waiting for the ProDisc to be approved since I discovered its existence (and originally was informed the operation might be available as early as this June). I was extremely dissapointed to find out last week that I may have to wait yet another length of time (possibly September but maybe as long as next January) and so over the last few days started to re-research my options to get my life back.

After having seen some of Harrison's posts in the BPSG but then no followup about his insurance situation I emailed him to determine what happened and we had a great chat Saturday morning. It was then that he told me about ADRSupport.org and this forum, so here I am, and glad of it!

I'm extremely grateful to Harrison for all his hard work and will be happy to help any way I can.

My areas of interest, for now, are in identifying people who are successful in getting BCBS Massachusetts to pay for the ProDisc (I've seen that people have gotten BCBS to pay in other states and overseas so far) and weighing the advantages of getting the Charite in Boston (now at least one member being paid for by BCBS) versus waiting for the ProDisc.

Here is my signature as it appears in the BPSG Forum.

Rein
------------------
DOB: 47/06/18
male
sailmaker
Ruptured L5-S1 03/09/26, precise cause unknown, but suspect lifting/carrying heavy weights incorrectly, coupled with aging of the spine.
Microendoscopic discectomy 03/10/27
Finished physical therapy 04/12/18
Stabbing pain at L5-S1 04/05/28
MRI - completely degenerated disc 04/07/07
Determined ProDisc was ADR of choice 04/06
(Can't afford it, so waiting for FDA and BCBS to get their act together, hopefully by 05/06.)
05/04/13- Found out that FDA may not approve ProDisc until as late as 06/01, so exploring other options, including Charite.
Using stationary bike, BioFlex inversion traction machine, stretching exercises/ab crunches/extensions, occasional Ibuprophen or Motrin.
Limited ability to work, function normally. Would like my life back, if you please, FDA.

Years of pain, discectomy, research into anatomy, hardware, clinical trials, facilities, surgeons, techniques, insurance. Attempts at ProDisc, Activ-L trials. Now, low bone density. D'oh!!!

At 61 years, no longer qualifying for trials due to my age (chronological, not physical or mental).

2009 - Working on improving bone density or getting rich so I can go to Germany, where medicine and insurance have gone beyond the Stone Age.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Rein, welcome aboard and thx for the kind words. There are many folks from Mass. on this board, I just hope we can help you out. I'll send you my Blue Corpse Blue Sled appeal docs soon...hope it helps.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate