ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 PM

Default Sending Medical Information

Was curious as to the best/quickest way to send information across to potential surgeons? In particular, I was interested if there are any electronic means to send MRI/X-ray images, as I only have one CD available and don't want to chance sending it via the mail. I remember Dr. Boeree's assistant Jo mentioning the use of Googledocs when I was in touch with her some time back, but I don't recall the ability to push images via that conduit? Even if possible, how would I even know WHICH image to send, short of forwarding them all? Which takes me back to my initial question....D'oh!!
4/07:LBP + radiculopathy=severe L5-S1 herniation , 7/07:Micro-D, 08-09:Reherniation, 09-17: periodic residual symptoms (conservative modalities to maintain "stability" = prolotherapy, ESI/nerve blocks/facet injections, chiro, massage, phys ther), 7/17 pain in neck/right shoulder radiating into hand (no trauma involved), 7-10/17 Conservative treatment to date include physical therapy/dry-needling/facet-injections (C4/5 to C6/7). Researching surgical options should progression continue.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:30 AM

in short, you send ALL of the images associated with a study.

what i did (i am no techie, but reasonably computer savvy):
1. get a CD of the study
2. copy ALL of the contents onto your hard drive
3. put all of those files into one compressed folder
4. upload that compressed folder into google docs
5. set that folder up to "share" and send the link it gives you to whomever you want.

i used the same method for Boeree and Clavel.

you could also do that with dropbox, if you have that.

I also had a 3 page word document chronicling all of my injuries, tests, treatments, etc that i sent along. they both commented how thorough and helpful it was.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:41 AM

I've generally had problems with the European surgeons having problems using the American Dicomm files readers that are packaged with the CDs provided by the local imaging centers. I eventually located a Dicomm to jpeg file converter on the internet and converted all of the files then did essentially what Laid Up Doc suggested, only with the smaller size of the jpeg files, I could email the compressed file directly without using Google Docs. The jpegs aren't as nice to use so expect surgeons to not like it if you do that but it does work if they have problems with the Dicomm files on your CDs.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-24-2011, 01:04 AM

annapurna - they had no issues w/ mine... MRI, CT, and xrays. seemed like Clavel did it himself (or had Gilete do it?), and Boeree had an assistant that loaded them into their system. neither mentioned any issue at all.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:48 AM

Thanks. I'm not particularly computer proficient either, so if that is all it takes I might just be able to manage. Busy with holiday stuff, but will try to get to it early in the new year. I figure that I should be getting the DEXA scan around then as well, so I can sent it all in one big collection.
4/07:LBP + radiculopathy=severe L5-S1 herniation , 7/07:Micro-D, 08-09:Reherniation, 09-17: periodic residual symptoms (conservative modalities to maintain "stability" = prolotherapy, ESI/nerve blocks/facet injections, chiro, massage, phys ther), 7/17 pain in neck/right shoulder radiating into hand (no trauma involved), 7-10/17 Conservative treatment to date include physical therapy/dry-needling/facet-injections (C4/5 to C6/7). Researching surgical options should progression continue.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:10 AM

T, I sent my medical records to Boree using the google docs formula that LUD described. Dr. Boree even sent me step by step instructions that were easy to follow. I found it to be the easiest format for transmitting those docs. In addition, I also create a spine history doc that told my story. Ask Boree's asst if she would share those instructions with you. If you PM me, I will try and locate and share what Boree sent to me.

Good luck!
‘10 Lumbar pain retnd worse. DDD L5/S1, sm disc protru, annular tears, L4-5 mild facet,L5/S1-Injections min relief.
Dec 2011 Prodisc L/5 S/1 Dr. Blumenthal
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Default cds

Guess I'm old-fashioned... I had multiple CDs made and sent them via the post office. It was less than $5. No problems with reading them on the other end.
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/