ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 AM

Default Just my .02

For future reference, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. Therefore slowing the flow of blood to the healing areas. So, when the docs say quit smoking, they mean quit with nicotine too (in pretty much all forms).

The good news for those that do want to use the e-cig (or as I call it, personal vaporizer device) is that there are zero nicotine options as well. I quit the day after I received my approval letter from my insurance. I promised the universe that if it could pull off the miracle of getting a 2 level lumbar ADR approved then I'd certainly quit smoking to give healing its absolute best chance. I didn't come this far in the fight to shoot myself in the foot. ; )

However I am also a realist and having my little vaper has helped tremendously in being able to stick 100% to my promise (absolutely cigarette & nicotine free since the day after my approval letter) and to not go completely insane (my husband appreciates the insanity part most).
I choose the zero nicotine, 100% vegetable glycerin with organic flavor. I get mine locally and if anyone needs or wants info on this option, PM me & I can give you a few links that I used to help me figure out what would (and ultimately did) work.

April 1995: L4/L5 & L5/S1 rupture (no injury & still no known cause. I was 22yo)
1995-2013 A long, insane dance with a healthcare saga including doctors from hell & heaven with never ending pain.
July 2013: Insurance approval for a 2 level ADR!
Surgery Scheduled: August 23, 2013
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Congrats, Jen, and thanks for posting, which will help others.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Default Quitting smoking-Good! Weight gain-Bad!

I saw this thread on quitting smoking, and if you'll permit me, I need to at least share my experience.

I finally quit smoking on January 13, 2012. After being a smoker for well over 25 years, this was not easy by any means. My driving force was that I wanted to have ALL surgical options available to me for my back. Every surgeon I'd met with wouldn't discuss anything fusion-related unless I was nicotene-free for at least 3 months or more.

I am very proud to say that to date I have remained a non-smoker. In October of 2013 I finally went to see another surgeon - who I have yet to even meet, although he came with several positive referrals.

The reason I never met this surgeon in person, is that I never made it past his P.A. who decided that although I was a non-smoker, I was far too overweight to even be considered for a surgery! He was very polite, and had many suggestions for me to try and lose the 30 - 40 lbs by another appointment in 6 months. I tried all the recomendations diligently for weeks - basically staying under 1200 calories per day. I can barely get through a typical day driving and working a desk job, so any real exercise program was a ridiculous consideration! I lost nothing!

So I successfully quit smoking, and although the weight gain did not occur unnoticed, I thought I should fight one battle at a time. It appears I was wrong. I should have been trying to fight the weight gain battle at the same time as the cigarettes! Just a thought others may benefit from while trying to quit smoking ...

Closing note: I never did go back to see that surgeon. I've since discovered that the company which I've worked for was sold, and I've been working as part of a transitional team with a finite severance date! Looks like my 2014 New Year's resolution will be to find ANY surgeon to perform ANY surgery on me before my employment & medical insurance runs out! The sand is pouring through the hourglass now!

Jeff
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....
Old 12-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Jeff, wow, long time no talk. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Your struggles and triumphs will help others. Perhaps we can catch up in the New year. Congratulations, keep going, friend!

PS: Related post: http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f45...tml#post103491
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate